FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   Community, Collaboration, Status
(Moderator: REAS)
   Introductions
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
   Author  Topic: Introductions  (Read 33417 times)
naser_kangenc

Introduction
« Reply #195 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 1:59am »

hello,
[who are you:]
i'm naser and i'm from turkey. i never studied anything, but the computer love started when i was about 11 years old (got hold of a brand new osborne1, that our rich neighbour dumped back then, because of the (wrong) american plug ). mostly i'm into C/C++ and working for several companies as a programmer. unfortunately i'm rather more a reader than a poster.
[/who are you]

[why are you here:]
i'm very interested in terms of making programming accessible for todays (multimedia/visual)artists, so that they can implement their own ideas/art without having to get hold of an impatient programmer like me or longtime study of computers/languages or any 20000$-magic-app that does the job.

a friend of mine told me about a tool/community that makes computers and programming accessible to him as a multimedia-artists and that even the reference is availaable in turkish ! (i tried to get him into computers for about 6 years), so proce55ing did the job ....i have to say, not only for multimedia-artists. my son loves playing around with processing (although he doesn't like java ), and i have to admit - i love playing around with it, too.
[/why are you here]

[preferred system]
Me:   Unix, MacOS X
Son:  Windows XP
Wife: Palm OS, iPOD ......(uhh...i know, i know )
[/preferred system]

regards
naser
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2004, 2:06am by naser_kangenc »  
vaaaska

Re: Introductions
« Reply #196 on: Aug 20th, 2004, 6:17pm »

Where have I been?

I've known about processing for some time now but never really jumped into it.

I'm a designer hailing from Seattle and currently living/working in Brussels.  I started building websites in '94 but then fell out of doing it for years.  Only a year and a half ago, because a client asked me to get involved, I started learning some actual programming (if we want to call PHP that).  I've certainly gotten my feet wet but ultimately I would rather be designing visual objects than writing invisible code - in the process I've also fallen in love with what I can do with code but to-date don't have an outlet (or the skills really) to do it.

And processing seems to be the next logical step for that.

Hello, and where do I begin aside from reading and experimenting?
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2004, 6:40pm by vaaaska »  
simon

« Reply #197 on: Aug 21st, 2004, 10:13pm »

Hello,
my name is Simon and I study visual communications in Basel, Switzerland. In fact, I am doing my diploma right now. And I am using your wonderful programm to create something like interactive wallpapers. that is why I am here. Not being a technical genius, I try to get some help.  

thank you

_james_

« Reply #198 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 6:10am »

Hi I'm James Tu.  I've been hearing lots of good things about Processing and want to start experimenting with it.  I graduated from ITP and have been involved in one aspect or another with interactive installations.  I want to see how I can extend my palette with Processing.

Jonathan Harris

« Reply #199 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 9:19am »

My name is Jonathan Harris. I'm originally from Vermont in the USA, and studied art and computer science at Princeton University. These days, I'm living in Northern Italy, working at a place called Fabrica (http://www.fabrica.it), a creative think tank of sorts, near Venice. I bumped into Casey Reas at Ars Electronica last weekend, and have since been using Processing for some visualization projects I've been making.

My work is at: http://number27.org

--
Jonathan Harris
Number27 >> http://www.number27.org
rtf

Email
« Reply #200 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 1:19pm »

// rw: goes by way of introduction

Object me = Me();

me.name = "richard willis";
me.age = 30;
me.sex = "m";
me.location = "brighton, uk";
me.profession = "web developer";
me.interest = "only time will tell";

me.init();

you are a clown who moves around a maze.
afropod

251886522251886522 WWW
« Reply #201 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 2:48pm »

Heyall, I'm going by the psuedonym of afropod online, from Birmingham, UK. I'm a graphic design student embracing the potential of the web and emerging technologies and from the examples i've seen using 'processing' i've become intrigued and want to learn more. I wouldn't yet consider myself a pro-programmer, so I'd like someone to tell me where to start. Is there perhaps a PDF out there somewhere I can use as a beginners guide?

Thanks all, afropod.
Robin

« Reply #202 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 8:59am »

Hi, my name is Robin and i'm currently in my final year of Visual Communication at UTS (www.uts.edu.au).

I'm in the process of learning Processing for use in my major project, which will be an investigation in visually reinterpreting online dialogue/communication. (whew!)

There are a great number of bright minds here and i am truly appreciative of how helpful this community is

Alasdair Turner

« Reply #203 on: Sep 17th, 2004, 2:41pm »

I am Alasdair Turner, and I have just taken over as course director for the MSc Virtual Environments at the Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL in the UK.

We have decided to try teaching processing as a gentle introduction to programming in the first term (=semester).  In the second term they get hardcore C++!

So I am here to find out more, and perhaps, although my time is limited, even get involved as a developer.

Lecturer in Architectural Computing
Bartlett School of Graduate Studies
UCL Gower Street London WC1E 6BT
lexy

« Reply #204 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 7:05am »

Hi, my name is Lexy Singer. I am a student at Maryland Institute College of Art.  I am currently taking interactive scripting as a sort of side interest to my painting/photography/drawing ect.  I spent a few weeks with JavaScript and found out about processing from my teacher who recommended it after I told him my interest in creating sensory-dependent work through programming the machine to pick up certain things....I haven't exactly worked out my ideas, but I think giving myself the options and technical knowledge, I will find what it is I will be needing when the time comes.  Graphically, processing seems to suit my needs as of now.

Mark Hill

WWW Email
« Reply #205 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 10:43am »

My name is Mark Hill and I am currently doing a PhD entitled' The Contemporary Fine Art Interface' , as well as lecturing here and there.

I started out as an assembly language programmer in the late 80's, working on c64, amiga, atari and consoles, mainly.

I've been studying art for some time now, having completed a BA and MA and am now revitalising my old computer programming skills for my research degree.

Processing addresses some of the fundamental issues related to my thesis.

lukeschantz

Email
« Reply #206 on: Nov 4th, 2004, 6:13am »

Hello,

I am Luke Schantz.  I am somewhat of a geek and am currently studding New Media at Temple University.  My experience there is an interesting blend of Arts and Technology.  Lately, I have been obsessed with organizing and interfacing with information.  For the sake of it and to meet some useful or aesthetically pleasing end.  Specifically, I am working on getting together my thesis proposal and and helping a friend/professor with a project called eVokability.  It involves developing a wireless sensor based system for people with limited abilities and calls for all sorts of neat information processing solutions.  I am eager to check out "Processing" and interacting with this community.

bendei

WWW Email
« Reply #207 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 8:15pm »

hello, my name is jesus gollonet, i've studied psychology and multimedia development where i live, in málaga (spain). I work as a web developer/designer and spend my spare time playing music, programming, designing and writing.

i'm here because i'm finally trying to learn processing

http://www.jesusgollonet.com/blog
yan_g

« Reply #208 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 1:43am »

my name is yann and i forgot to open this thread before i posted mine!

i'm here for some reason i already forgot while browsing the exhibition... some link on a forum i guess pointed me here... i love art, including computer art. i make music, photography and i'd like to make some good interactive art, i'm gonna try anyway

http://no.i.d.free.fr/ -> my music
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2004, 1:45am by yan_g »  
crib

« Reply #209 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 8:57am »

i'm chris, i'm a new media student at ryerson university, toronto. i have recently started playing with electronics and basic stamps, as well as data vis. processing seems to be a great way to interface the computer with the real world.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 

« Previous topic | Next topic »