We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Who uses Processing And Why
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Who uses Processing? And Why? (Read 18422 times)
Who uses Processing? And Why?
May 9th, 2008, 1:57am

Who are you? Where are you? What are you doing? Why do you use Processing?

People frequently ask Ben and myself questions like, "Which schools use Processing?" and "What are people doing with Processing?" A few years ago, I felt like I knew where and why the software was being used, but now, because the software has spread more widely, I don't have a complete (or near complete) answer. Please let us and the rest of the community know.

Casey
Re: Who uses Processing? And Why?
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2008, 6:04am

Hi, my name is Matt Ditton and I use Processing.

I'm the Senior Tech artist at Pandemic Studios in Brisbane. I make computer games for a living. And I teach part time at the Bachelor of Games Design at Griffith University (Hi students of 1109gfs). The class is teaching programming to artists and it's all in Processing.
About 3 years ago I found processing and I fell in love with the "show in reference" ability. SUCH GOOD HELP. It was amazing. I had a proof of concept that I wanted to quickly get up and running so I turned to Processing and the Obj Loader. Thankfully I could extend it's functionality because Saito made the source code available. We got to talking and now we both look after it. We even met up in Tokyo and I had this amazing dinner with his family. It's one of those memories that you cherish. All thanks to processing.

In the games industry everything you create is data. There is no render button to hide behind and it can't be fixed in post. Knowing and understanding how that data works makes me a better artist.

There was a time when you had to crush up pigments to make your paints. If Da-Vinci was alive today he'd be writing his own parser to get his latest shader working.

I guess this is my chance to say thanks.

mattD
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2008, 10:54am

Sounds like an AA meeting Smiley My name is Michael Chang and I use Processing...

I'm a creative director at Protohaus in Shanghai. We make prototypes for applications, data visualization, and host of other visual work, not so much on the hardware side but mostly for screen-space. It's being used to prototype interfaces for mobile devices as well as a good place to mock-up hard to tackle interface problems.

Last year at Yahoo! we used it to make data visualizations, zoomable interfaces, and touch screen interfaces. Years beyond that we used it for motion graphics at Motion Theory.

I would love to teach others how to use Processing in Shanghai to those who are learning here, although I haven't a clue about the venue or audience in Shanghai yet.

I feel that Processing has been a great entry-way into programming in general simply because of its visual nature. So far I've been able to plug back into large C++ engines and successfully hack and build my own games using knowledge I've learned from Processing.
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2008, 12:11pm

I'm John Gilbertson, and I work for The University of Liverpool in the UK.

However what I do with processing is completely unrelated to my job unfortunately, I'm just an interested amateur and to be honest I've not actually done much with processing recently, but I'm still quite happy to help out on the forums since there's many more talented people out there who need a bit of help along the way.

It might be nice to be able to do some of this in real-life here at the university, but I have no idea how to initiate this, and I'm not a trained teacher in any way.
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2008, 3:28pm

I am Dimitre Lima, I live in São Paulo Brasil. I work with graphic design, internet and motion, and sometimes work in things that still dont' have clearly a purpose.
I started using processing as a Java shortcut in 2002, when I used to play with tinyPTC library (Glenn Fiedler) to splash some colors inside some browsers.

I nowadays mainly use processing (as well as other tools/languages) to try to automate repetitive operations, make permutations and deal with other design problems. Actually working on a type synthesizer.

I love the "work more to work less" or "let the permutation surprise you" feeling of Processing

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2008, 4:14pm

I am Damon Loren Baker. I am the associate curator of Art, Design, and Technology at the Krannert Art Museum at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I run the Intermedia Gallery here which contains, among other things, a 3D immersive virtual space called the CANVAS. Previous to this I was at Brown University in Providence Rhode Island where I worked at the Center for Computation and Visualization  with the electronic writing program there on the Cavewriting spatial hypertext authoring system which lets writers, artists and musicians create immersive, interactive virtual worlds.

I am using processing to re-implement and expand the features of the Cavewriting system in an experimental mutant offspring that I call SHE (Spatial Hypertext Editor/Environment/Engine/Etc). She isn't quite ready for prime time but She is getting better by the day. She uses processing to render xml files to generate interactive 3d worlds that can be viewed on anything from a web browser running on a macbook pro, to a tiled plasma screen display wall, up to a head tracked immersive stereo environment running on a cluster of linux machines like the CANVAS or a CAVE.

Previously we had been building the engine in C++ on top of numerous layers of underlying software on three different platforms with a clumsy build system for each platform plus developing a java based editing environment. Processing has gotten good enough at 3d things that I can implement something in it that can run 99% of the existing cavewriting pieces and then we can work on adding new features instead of flailing around with a clumsy build system. We rely on student programmers so moving to processing/java will let them get started in doing work with the system instead of spending ages coming to grips with the build system and then graduating and moving along before anything gets accomplished.

If all goes well this will be getting used here at UIUC, at brown, at ucsd, and at several of the other institutions that we've worked with in the past who are all crying out for a spatial hypertext wonderland of their own within the next year.
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2008, 7:22pm

Robert Hodgin. Barbarian Group and Flight404.

I use Processing for my personal entertainment.  But more and more, I am getting to use it for client work at Barbarian Group.  People are starting to ask for it by name.

My main uses for Processing are in the realm of audio visualization. I have made many videos using only Processing with no post production or editing after the fact.  This is a bragging point only... it would certainly be more effective to render out a bunch of shorter videos and then piece them together in AE or something similar.  But I get great joy out of knowing that I can hit PLAY, walk away for a bit, play some GTA IV, then come back to find a finished piece that has enough randomness built in that when I view it, I feel I am viewing something totally unique and were I to press PLAY again, the next version would be different.

We are also using Processing for building installation pieces or custom applications.  The McLeod Butterflies, McLeod Mirror, NERVO flocking birds for Fox, and Saturn NextFest pieces were all executed using Processing (the butterflies also involved C++, Maya and Python).

So, bottom line, Processing has become pretty much 100% of my work day. Its a good feeling to know that clients are starting to desire it more and more.
Reply #7 - May 9th, 2008, 9:07pm

I began my professional life as a painter/painting prof, which at the time seemed like the most fundamental way to study the perceptual world around me. I also messed around with computers (more of a guilty pleasure back then.) Eventually, coding and math felt even more fundamental than painting, (as well as more relevant as a medium to our time.) Now I write code and profess programming (of the creative variety).

I use and teach Processing, as well as a number of other languages. Processing works the best in the classroom and is  also the environment I tend to dip into first these days  for my creative wanderings.

I also produced a small book on the language.

Ira Greenberg
Miami University

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2008, 10:26pm

I'm a composer, currently a PhD Candidate at the University of Aveiro, Portugal. I use Processing, alongside Max/MSP, for everything I can think of, from playing with algorithms I find on the internet to the automation of things I need done when I return from lunch, such as calculating the correct harmonic relationship for a given harmony cycle...

I also use it to create musical software (midi sequencers, network improvisation interfaces, etc.), mainly commissioned by Casa da Música (Oporto, Portugal).
Last but not the least, I use it to gather data from physical controllers and make visualizations for audio installations, mainly made with Max/MSP.
Reply #9 - May 9th, 2008, 10:33pm

I'm Robin Sloan, strategist at Current in San Francisco. It's a news & information TV network and website. (And maybe still best-known for being co-founded by Al Gore.)

I use Processing for personal projects, and we're also using it to prototype data-driven visuals here at Current. We might use it for production as well, not just prototypes; I'll keep you posted Smiley
Reply #10 - May 9th, 2008, 11:00pm

i'm lenny, student at hyperwerk, basel switzerland.
i got introduced to processing by marius watz.
after years of only drawing by hand, processing became my main tool for work and play. i use it for personal work and for commercial things in different media.
i also teach workshops for programming using processing.
for me the main reason to work with processing is the fact that i can use the same tool to work for print, screen, and physical stuff, from scetching ideas, to interfaces to production.  
i guess basically i'm fascinated because this thing can draw so fast and it never gets tired. i'm very happy with it, thanks to everybody involved in this.
Reply #11 - May 10th, 2008, 10:08am

John Clavin, Palm Desert, CA. I have used Java for algorithmic music and graphics, but recently started playing around with Processing. I am retired now so I hope to have more time for it.
I think Processing is a revolution. It puts algorithmic art and data visualization in the hands of artists and scientist that are not full time programmers.
I think that it also could be a good programming learning language to teach young people the basics of programming. I would use it in High Schools and even Grade Schools.
Reply #12 - May 10th, 2008, 10:59pm

Hi. I'm Jer Thorp. I'm a software artist, educator,  and recovering web designer from Vancouver, Canada.

I use Processing extensively in my art practice to explore generative processes, generally involving biological concepts. I find it a very comfortable environment to work in, and I find it suits most of my needs perfectly.

I also use Processing to introduce designers to programming in a 14 week course that I teach at Langara College. It seems perfectly suited to this task - I can generally get students building their own interactive sketches within an hour or two.

I have been using Processing for quite a long time (2003?) and have enjoyed watching it develop and grow. Thanks!
Reply #13 - May 11th, 2008, 3:47am

*shuffles out of chair

I'm Aaron Steed, and I'm a Processor.

*waits for clapping approval of other addicts

I haunt the forum because it taught me how to program, got me a degree and a job. I currently work for nitrome.com making flash games for companies like Miniclip and MTV. I often prototype ideas in Processing and I recommend it to others who are starting to learn programming. I don't think that it's practical for much outside of teaching, VJing or installation art (and I don't teach and will never VJ). Processing has successfully prevented me from learning Java.

I've always wanted more speed from my languages, but as I walk away from Processing to other avenues I'm still pleased to find it cropping up in weird places like the Javascript Processing library

http://ejohn.org/blog/processingjs/

And the endless Arduino projects. I got a new phone last weekend, so I found myself downloading pmobile again and tweaking old projects to play with. This sharing of ideas and knowledge is what I'm here for and thankyou so much for helping me pay my bills.
Reply #14 - May 11th, 2008, 5:02pm

hi, andreas schlegel here. i have been using processing for quite a while now, in many different areas ranging from academia, research, workshops, creative industries, to education.
originally from germany, i am currently teaching at an art college in singapore, in an undergraduate media arts program. technical courses i teach are a combination of art, design, and technology. processing and arduino are the main environments when it comes to using technology based project made for a screen or the physical space.

my background is in design, i discovered the beauty of using code as a tool and material about 10 years ago. back then macromedia director was my choice of tool, but i was grateful to give up this monster after discovering processing. what i enjoy about processing is its openness. it is open source, it encourages and supports user contributions, and it has a very helpful and friendly community.

i usually use processing from within its IDE, especially when it comes to sketching something quickly. i enjoy opening the processing IDE and start writing sketches, basically translating more or less sudden ideas into code.
when i work on a bigger project, i switch to an IDE like eclipse, while still using processing's core and contributed libraries. no matter if a processing project is of small or big size, the environment is very adaptable and flexible.

besides using processing as a teaching tool, i guess i was lucky to be able to use it in a creative industries environment, too. while working for artcom in berlin, most projects or components of a project were sketched in processing before they were implemented into the actual application. especially when it comes to presenting your ideas - instead of explaining what should happen, one could just run a sketch and have people see what will happen, definitely a bonus.

now that i use processing for teaching, it helps me very much to get students interested and engaged in exploring program based works and outcomes. nevertheless it is still difficult to give students a definite perspective how they could use these skills when they graduate and continue with their professional career. just reducing these skills to programming i guess would be a mistake, for me processing is not just about being a great environment to do programming, but even more important a platform that approaches (new) media on a technical, aesthetical, and conceptual level that will influence our perspectives of how we create and perceive media in an everyday scenario.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5