We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › YELELE SHOOT - Beta 0.5 Download
Pages: 1 2 3 
YELELE SHOOT - Beta 0.5 Download (Read 11808 times)
Re: YELELE SHOOT - Beta Download
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2010, 2:00pm

I could try a Mac version when it's ready but not the Windows one.

Andreas
Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2010, 3:55pm

Could you please tell me where to create data folder in the mac os X generated folder ("application.mac.osx") : i use a xml file to describe joypad configuration and i have to read and write to this file located in the data folder.

In windows, i just add a "data" folder in "application.windows" folder with my xml file : is the same on macosx

Anyway, i try the same as windows for linux and mac osx versions but i can't test these versions. So please, give me some feedback to make it rules if it doesn't.

=> links for mac osx and linux versions are on the game's blog page :
HERE

=> link for windows version still on the main game page :
HERE
Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2010, 12:56pm

Oh, you are much quicker than I thought. Smiley  I don't know which is the right location for the data folder but I can certainly test things for you. We'll have to wait a few days before I can test it with a gamepad but even without it I can tell you a bit: it starts without problems, plays sound and all that. I can use the USB mouse to start the Joypad calibration and can fake (with the mouse) the first button presses and the left stick moves.

I don't know when exactly you are reading/writing to the xml file. This might come later in the program and so this test might not yet be very useful. Anyway, so far it works fine and I will test it properly when I can get my gamepad later this week.

Andreas
Reply #18 - Apr 27th, 2010, 7:45am

So, here I am playing it with an xbox 360 controller on my macbook and it works great!! Cheesy

I am really very much impressed, even though I am rubbish at this type of game and probably die way to early to have seen much. But it plays very smooth with a real arcade feeling, exactly like when I was palying such stuff on real machines in the pub. I hope you'll manage do more levels. This is good fun!

The details:
  • I unzipped the file and just double click on 'shoot' in the new folder and the game starts (no need to change permissions)
  • sometimes the game does not get focus on start-up but this seems to be mostly at the first start after reboot
  • the gamepad works on my Macbook Pro OS X 10.5 but for some reason is not recognised on the iMac (also 10.5)
  • I cannot use the gamepad to start or restart the game, because I cannot use it to move the mouse pointer or shift the focus to a button in any other way.  I don't know whether that's a bug or a feature but I don't like it.

All in all, this works surpirsingly well for not being tested on a Mac before! Let me know if you need more/other tests.

Andreas
Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2010, 4:25pm

Many thanks for your response (before week <|-)

I can try to implement joypad control for the menu part but, when it's not yet configured you'll have to use mouse control, so ...

For the Imac trouble : is the joypad be recognized with other game or is it a general problem with this joypad on Imac ?

The others things (focus on starting) is not an application problem but it seems to be a small bug in processing implementation on Mac OsX (?). This implementation is impressive because, as you tell us, the game works "as is" on windows and Mac OsX : it's just great (like java philosophy)

I have another question : do the joypad configuration still be done after you launch the game again ? (the xml config file is created in this case)

I'm really happy to read how you enjoy this beta version and it's a good way to push me and my brother to work on it to release another beta and/or full version soon. (I expect other people try this game to tell us if they like it)

Thanks again
Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2010, 2:56pm

yelele_eu wrote on Apr 28th, 2010, 4:25pm:
I can try to implement joypad control for the menu part but, when it's not yet configured you'll have to use mouse control, so ...

True, but I thought you could get both working together somehow. So that one could use whatever is available.

Quote:
For the Imac trouble : is the joypad be recognized with other game or is it a general problem with this joypad on Imac

The (open-source) driver recognises it but I have not actually used it for anything with the iMac. I'll try something later.

Quote:
I have another question : do the joypad configuration still be done after you launch the game again (the xml config file is created in this case)

No, I only needed to do it once and the config_man_1.xml file has been updated. So I guess it's in the right place after all.

BTW how do you manage the gamepad input in processing Do you use a particular library

Quote:
I'm really happy to read how you enjoy this beta version and it's a good way to push me and my brother to work on it to release another beta and/or full version soon. (I expect other people try this game to tell us if they like it)

I have shown it to a few people (who all liked the look of it!). It seems as if not many people own a USB gamepad though. I guess this might be a reason for you not hearing more feedback on the game play.

Anyway, I really like it and I hope you keep going!

Andreas
Re: YELELE SHOOT - Beta 0.5 Download
Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2010, 4:31pm

Hey, this is fun! Just gave it a try on my ubuntu + logitech joypad : works great. But the framerate got very low quite quickly, even with the enhanced visual effects off, it got quite unplayable Sad

I love the gameplay, quite hard at the beginning but very handful as you get used to those 2 joysticks doing different things.

Some ennemies, like the one fireing red bullets are too easy to shoot down. Some others - like the row of green ones at the top - where too hard for me Happy

Keep on the good work!
Reply #22 - May 1st, 2010, 4:06am

I also find it very difficult, there a bit too many small grey asteroids all the time and the green aliens are hard to kill as well. The whole thing cries for another weapon, maybe a bomb that can destroy all small enemies/rocks on the screen in one blast. This could also some tactical element: with only say one/two such bombs per level one would have to choose carefully when to use them.

Andreas
Reply #23 - May 3rd, 2010, 2:11pm

I use procontroll library for joypad interface.
Is so difficult I think we'll release a new beta version with more stuff : i want to put the online highscore because it's a good way to know how people play.

The bomb option is already done but the graphic traduction is not finished (image or drawing, we think of it). We already add more fire gun options (5 shoots on max instead of 3).

I'm so sorry for the linux slowly version. We try to do some optimisations but the high CPU eater is the resolution of the game : clearing each frame in 800*600 seams to be more quick on windows or Mac OsX than on linux ... (maybe the P2D implementation is less  quick on linux ) => all these stuff will release in the next beta version.

I have another explaination for the low number of game download : the link posted in "exibition link page" is wrong : wwww.yelele.eu/.... instead of www.yelele.eu/...
I've just modified the .httaccess file to add download permission from this wrong url (is the processing forum administrator can modify this link to correct it Antiplastik ) ... It doesn't work until this modification : i expect more people download the game and add feedback here or on the game's blog page.

So we still working to produce a better version but we've already added thanks to Antiplastik and Andreas in the game's blog page for beta testing on Mac OsX and Linux :
thanks again.
Reply #24 - May 8th, 2010, 3:27pm

Video preview was modified on the game's main page and a new beta (0.6) will come soon :
- 2 players game
- more enemy
- more fire option

But you can always try the actual beta and give me some feedback to improve the game on the next version.

NB : the link, in the "Exhibition link page" was not modified (www.yelele.eu/ ....   instead of  wwww.yelele.eu/ ...). Is someone can modify it

Any comments are still welcome.
Reply #25 - May 17th, 2010, 3:09pm

This looks like a super awesome game!
Reply #26 - May 20th, 2010, 12:47pm

Thanks a lot : i expect a lot of constructive comments to improve  the game in the next release.

(have you played the game or just watched the trailer video ?)
Reply #27 - May 24th, 2010, 5:01am

this game is very good and i am very impressed with it ....i have played the beta version ...and its really very fantastic...
thanks for sharing
--------------------
Ezine
Reply #28 - May 24th, 2010, 6:01am

is the only way to play it using a joypad ? dont own one
Re: Shoot'em up : YELELE SHOOT
Reply #29 - May 24th, 2010, 3:28pm

I just had a little blast:  You've been playing too many Japanese bullet-hell games  Cheesy

I got to the row of green aliens at the top; but with all those rocks to contend with as well (BTW - they take perhaps a little too long to destroy) I only managed to kill about half of them before I got shot down; though I didn't know about the bomb option.  Maybe next time...

Constructive criticism:

1.  The music: fine for 1 minute, but soon becomes repetitive.
2.  The explosions obscure the action a bit too much; meaning you might fly into something else because you can't see where you're going.  I guess making them transparent might hit performance too hard
3.  The bullets I'm firing are way too slow: you can almost overtake them if you fly in the same direction...

Finally; regarding this:

yelele_eu wrote on Apr 21st, 2010, 2:48pm:
I'm sorry but no... The game isn't playable without game controller such XBox for PC one.

Maybe in the final version but you can't really play this kind of game without game controller (progressive speed, 360° shoot,...) : the same level become too hard if you play with keyboard and mouse.

This isn't a new control scheme and I've played plenty of games that allow 360 degree shooting and independent control of the ship...  using keyboard and mouse.  TBH I suspect I'd find it easier that way.  If there is proportional motion of the ship it's not immmediately apparent.  Mind you I'm not a bullet-hell expert: I was hopeless at Ikaruga.

Overall - I'm impressed; but it would definitely benefit from some fine-tuning on the difficulty front.
Pages: 1 2 3