We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › p5particles - new particle system library
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
p5particles - new particle system library (Read 3162 times)
p5particles - new particle system library
May 25th, 2010, 7:19pm

Hello all,

I have created a new particle systems library which I have dubbed p5particles.

http://code.google.com/p/p5particles

I made it mostly out of curiosity and for fun, but I also felt a need for it as I found that the Traer library was too general and not "javaish" enough. I know that was his goal, but I thought something should be made with only Processing in mind. This is why mine internally uses the PVector class and relies on overriding an extensible Particle class to define your particles. I am not planning on doing much with it unless I have a partner or 2 to help improve it and get it past this hacky stage. The examples suck. I have some nice ones on the backburner w/ some walkthrough documentation but don't feel like putting them out atm. Check it out and tell me what you think!
Re: p5particles - new particle system library
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2010, 3:00am

Hi,

the p5particles.jar is missing in the download zip.
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2010, 7:47am

Jesus I can't believe I missed that. A little too hasty I guess. Thanks for the heads up. I replaced the file in the downloads section.
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2010, 8:28am

Awesome! Wish I had this last month.. would have saved me a ton of work. Smiley  Very nice - I'll be using it!  

Issues...
Attraction_3d_GPGPU example gives an error:
Cannot find a class or type named "GLTextureFilterParameters"
I'm using the latest GLGraphics v0.9.3.3

MagneticForce_test example gives me this error:
2010-05-26 11:00:32.120 java[814:180f] *** Assertion failure in -[CocoaAppWindow _changeJustMain], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1038.29/AppKit.subproj/NSWindow.m:9470
2010-05-26 11:00:32.122 java[814:180f] *** CPerformer: ignoring exception 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: [self canBecomeMainWindow]' raised during perform of selector 'requestFocus:' on target 'FocusManager' with args '<AWTComponentSetFocusData: 0x105550>'
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2010, 10:41am

Thx!

I can't exactly recall which version of GLGraphics I used with the GPGPU example and I am not in front of my home machine at the moment. I think it was an older one like 0.8 or something. I also think I stole the shader from memo so maybe you can browse his site. Search for something along the lines of GPGPU DOF shader. It isn't the most exciting example honestly but I can reply back with more info later.

As for the Assertion failure, I have no idea what that is. It looks too deep to be my problem (or at least anything I can trace). It just started popping up. Didn't seem to cause any problems for me though.

Glad to see at least one person wants to use it! I will add some more examples and maybe update a few of the current ones either tonight or tomorrow.
Reply #5 - May 26th, 2010, 6:45pm

Ah, here it is:

http://memo.tv/realtime_gpu_based_depth_of_field_backlight_in_processing_with_glsl_v0_1
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1