We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
proMIDI 2.0 (Read 33726 times)
Re: proMIDI 2.0
Reply #30 - Feb 20th, 2007, 10:50am

it worked prettey fine with Mandolane! i think it is worth buying it.

-new intel mac book pro 2.33GHz(2G memory)
-osx10.4.8
-emagic mt4 midi interface

thanks mike

Reply #31 - Feb 21st, 2007, 5:34am

additv wrote on Feb 20th, 2007, 12:00am:
When I tried to run the promidi example it produced an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException on midiIO.openInput(0,0);  (line 18)

Looking up through the log I found that it didn't detect any input devices (though it should have found 2 IAC loopback devices)

I decided to plug in my midi interface to see if that would change anything, and instead it produced the same exception but at the line: midiIO = MidiIO.getInstance(this); (line 11), so it never even got a chance to print the devices.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with my setup right now, or if it's a more general incompatibility problem.  If promidi could be made to work with mmj it would be very useful for those of us trying to develop free cross-platform midi apps who don't want to trouble users with installing mandoline.

additv,

So, I encounted the exact same things you did. Basically, I don't see any inputs, but I do see my device listed as an output option.

Here's what I get as an error when I run the "promidi" example (which does more than simply print the list of devices):

Code:

printPorts of midiIO
<< inputs: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< outputs: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
output 0 : USB Trigger Finger - USB Trigger Finger
output 1 : Java Sound Synthesizer
<<>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Array index out of range: 0

at java.util.Vector.get(Vector.java:710)

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Array index out of range: 0

at java.util.Vector.get(Vector.java:710)

at promidi.MidiIO.openInput(MidiIO.java:311)

at promidi.MidiIO.openInput(MidiIO.java:311)

at Temporary_6964_8614.setup(Temporary_6964_8614.java:18)

at processing.core.PApplet.handleDisplay(PApplet.java:1244)

at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:564)

at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1413)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

at Temporary_6964_8614.setup(Temporary_6964_8614.java:18)

at processing.core.PApplet.handleDisplay(PApplet.java:1244)

at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:564)

at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1413)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

From what I can tell, it's a problem with proMidi simply not seeing the devices as inputs. I, however, was unable to run the MandoMidiTester.jar application to see if it was able to see the devices properly.

I agree that the benefit of using mmj would be the ease in developing cross-platform apps that on the Mac side don't require a 3rd party "driver" at an additional cost to get working.

Don't have much time now to poke around in the proMIDI source to try and identify the issue, but maybe someone else does who's fluent in Java, has a MIDI device, and is using an Intel Mac?
Reply #32 - Feb 21st, 2007, 12:11pm

We support the idea of free software and the only reason we were forced to charge for Mandolane was to recoup some of our up front costs. We tried to keep the price as low as possible so that everyone could afford it.

If it helps, we can offer the developers of proMIDI an OEM version of Mandolane which you can build into your Mac releases of proMIDI software, giving MIDI device access on both PPC and Intel macs without any further requirement of your users having to install plumstone or mandolane plug ins.

We are prepared to offer this completely free of charge.

If you're interested, please contact us via the Contact Us page on our website.

Best wishes

Mandolane

Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2007, 10:21pm

Wow, that's quite a generous offer Mandolane, I certainly hope that the promidi developers take you up on it! If they do, I'de be sure to buy a license or two to support you.
Cheers!
Reply #34 - Feb 24th, 2007, 11:35pm

Thanks additv.  That's very kind of you.
Reply #35 - Feb 25th, 2007, 10:31am

I got in contact with the mandolane developers, I will try to include it with the lib as soon as possible.
Reply #36 - Mar 9th, 2007, 1:42pm

I am pleased to say that we've developed and delivered a Pro-Midi version of Mandolane to the developers.  They need to do some testing, but (all being well) it should find its way into the library before too long.  This will be completely free of charge to the developers and all end users.

Many thanks to those ProMIDI users who have already bought a Mandolane licence.  You might like to check out our new 3D audio mixer.

Best wishes

Mandolane
Reply #37 - Mar 16th, 2007, 11:34pm

Hmm. I downloaded the Mandolane libraries and got the same problem. Then I installed MMJ (by putting the .jar and .jnilib files from the download) into /Library/Java/Extensions. I plugged in my M-Audio TriggerFinger and now it recognizes it! It shows up as "Input 01 - USB Trigger Finger".

So maybe MMJ would work after all. I've done nothing else custom to my Java environment to make it work.

**Update** I spoke too soon. The basic ProMIDI MidiIO detection script (which just reads and spits out the inputs and outputs) works...but anything else brings up the mandolane EULA screen, which is blank and locks everything up...and fails under MMJ alone. Crap!
Reply #38 - Mar 16th, 2007, 11:37pm

Hmm, I wonder if it's an intel mac thing, are you on an Intel or PPC?  I'm on an Intel mac..
Reply #39 - Mar 16th, 2007, 11:45pm

Intel. But as I say, it doesn't work again now.

This is really frustrating. I don't know anything about Java, so I don't know how to fix this!
Reply #40 - Mar 16th, 2007, 11:48pm

I already got an OEM version of mandolane and I will include by april. I am currently working on some projects that have to get finnished first. After that I will include mandolane in promidi and test every thing on intel and PPC macs.
Reply #41 - Mar 17th, 2007, 12:05am

That will be awesome. Unfortunately, I am an impatient bastard and already ordered a copy of Mandolane. (I feel silly buying software that fixes a problem that I only ever encounter in this one particular incident, but it's inexpensive and I appreciate them making the effort to make it.)

And I've discovered something -- the Mandolane EULA problem only happens if you declare size(x,y) in your setup function BEFORE you do the MIDI stuff. So this:

void setup(){
  size(200,200);
 smooth();
 background(0);

//get an instance of MidiIO
 midiIO = MidiIO.getInstance(this);
 println("printPorts of midiIO");

//print a list of all available devices
 midiIO.printDevices();

//open the first midi channel of the first device
 midiIO.openInput(0,9);

}

locks up, but this:

void setup(){

smooth();
 background(0);

//get an instance of MidiIO
 midiIO = MidiIO.getInstance(this);
 println("printPorts of midiIO");

//print a list of all available devices
 midiIO.printDevices();

//open the first midi channel of the first device
 midiIO.openInput(0,9);
  size(200,200);
}

...doesn't. Hooray!
Reply #42 - Apr 24th, 2007, 9:58pm

FYI, thought I'd bump this topic ... I'm working now with Processing 0124 + ProMIDI 2.0 + mjj. mjj seems to be working, mostly:

* IAC driver shows up and functions, which is terrific.
* Not getting any sound out of the Java Sound Synthesizer when routing MIDI to it, but I don't know JSS very well so this may mean nothing. (I'll investigate!)
* Note on events are working, but not note off, using the sequencer. I see some kind of "invalid" message as the note offs are being sent in MIDI Monitor. So maybe some weird Core MIDI thing here?

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Basic function on both PPC and Intel Mac, however. But I may just wait for Mandolane support in the library itself. Still, interesting to know ...
Reply #43 - May 20th, 2007, 12:06am

MJJ doesn't seem to enable inputs (intel mac, os x 10.4.8) while Mandolane does!

printPorts of midiIO
<< inputs: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< outputs: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
output 0 : IAC Driver
output 1 : MIDISPORT 2x2 - Port A
output 2 : MIDISPORT 2x2 - Port B
output 3 : Java Sound Synthesizer
<<>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm wondering how that freeware ProMidi2.0/Mandolane integration is comming along?

Lech
Reply #44 - May 20th, 2007, 9:13am

Well, now I've found a fabulous new problem. Suddenly I can't use MIDI-Yoke on Windows. At first I thought it was a weird XP/Registry/driver thing, but MIDI-Yoke is working just fine with everything else. It's like ProMIDI has just stopped functioning. Bizarre. Macs still running fine. (I hadn't tested input with mjj ... for that, yep, Mandalone seems the way to go.)

Of course, all the more interested here as we're talking things that would not only be issues with ProMIDI but Processing/Java MIDI in general. Sigh.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5