We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
proMIDI 2.0 (Read 33725 times)
Re: proMIDI 2.0
Reply #15 - Dec 12th, 2006, 6:14pm

Hi tex

Is there some particular reason why Processing is limited to Java 1.4?  Most 1.4 programs will work under 1.5 with no (or few) source code changes.  Given that Java 1.5 has been out for several years, it would make sense to move to a newer version.

Would it be possible to enable swing within Processing and/or ProMidi?  Or is this completely out of the question?

Obviously, we built Mandolane to work in a Pure Java environment using the facilities of the J2SE. We can disable the nag screens etc within Mandolane, but I'm not sure how we can code the software so that it recognises that it is within a processing environment.  Any suggestions for an "official" way of doing this?
Reply #16 - Dec 12th, 2006, 8:20pm

Look here for some fresh info on java 1.5:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Collaboration;action=display;num=1165864506;start=5#5
Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2007, 7:22am

I have the same trouble!!

Mike Creighton wrote on Dec 12th, 2006, 6:23am:
So, I too have spent the last couple of days tinkering with ProMIDI, Mandolane, one of the newest 15" MacBook Pros and Processing. Here's what I've determined:

a) I have Java 1.5 installed.
b) I can run the MandoMidiTester.jar with success
c) When I run a sample ProMIDI sketch, which simply prints all the devices connected (with Mandolane installed correctly), I am able to see the external MIDI device that I'm using (an m-audio Trigger Finger)

I can compile a very basic Java applet that uses the javax.sound.midi library and list devices no problem. It's only when I try to open an external device that I get the Mandolane unregistered nag screen:

See http://www.mikecreighton.com/dump/CorrectMandolaneBox.png

The same happens when I open up the MandoMidiTester.jar.

Now what happens when we take this into a Processing applet and attempt to open an external MIDI device is this:

http://www.mikecreighton.com/dump/BlankMandolaneBox.png

My only conclusion (because I really don't know a whole lot about Java) is that since Processing (the PApplet) doesn't play nicely with Java Swing, as noted in the FAQ:

"The main rule when using Java code: You cannot use anything from the AWT or Swing (which is built on the AWT), because it will interfere with our graphics model."

I think that the Mandolane unregistered YES / NO box is created using Swing, and hence everything collapses on itself.

So -- the device _could_ work just fine with Mandolane, but I'll need to buy a registered version of it in order to find out. Which I am definitely willing to simply try since I definitely need MIDI input in Java with my MacBook Pro.

Hopefully this sheds some light.

Reply #18 - Jan 8th, 2007, 5:58pm

Sorry for not keeping up with this thread. I wanted you to know that I went ahead and purchased Mandolane to see how much further I could get with this. Here's the short of it (tonight I'll post a more detailed message):

Mandolane no longer causes any crash when attempting to open a  MIDI device within P5 (using the basic java.sound.midi.* package).

However, when attempting to use proMIDI 2.0 now, the P5 sketch crashes (with some error messages in the console of course). So, I feel like I'm closer, but I need to do a couple more tests and post the results here.
Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2007, 9:13am

lol
Reply #20 - Jan 16th, 2007, 2:38pm

sheet anchor
Reply #21 - Jan 17th, 2007, 3:42am

Sorry about that hiatus. So, I've just done a fresh reinstall of OS 10.4.8, installed my registered copy of Mandolane, opened up the promidi_plug example Sketch and everything is good to go. No errors.

Everything works as expected.

So, for all you Mac users out there who are on an Intel Mac and want MIDI input to work in your Java Apps / Applets, grab a copy of Mandolane (you'll have to buy it to prevent it from crashing your sketches at startup).

Tested with:

MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
OS 10.4.8
Java 1.5 (required for Mandolane to work)
m-Audio Trigger Finger

Note that if you're using a Trigger Finger, the default MIDI channel that is used for broadcasting messages is channel 10. proMIDI counts the MIDI channels from 0 to 15...so you'd want to reference MIDI channel 9 in proMIDI syntax.

Hope this post clears up the mystery of getting MIDI input working on Intel Macs.
Reply #22 - Jan 17th, 2007, 11:06am

so registered is woking?
unregistered is not woking?
Reply #23 - Jan 17th, 2007, 6:17pm

That's correct.
Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2007, 6:02pm

>mike

i am very happy to hear that promidi on osx is working fine.  

so when you say "registered version" means you bought it via paypal?

but how you got registered version of Mandolane??  did they email you a file?

Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2007, 9:19pm

tetraleaf,

Yes, when I'm referring to the "registered version", I mean the version that I purchased from their site: http://www.mandolane.co.uk/purchase.html. Once the payment has gone through, they email you a license file that you place in the Mandolane folder which registers the product.
Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2007, 9:33pm

hello mike,

thank you so much!  i just bought it,so i will wait for their  reply. i will post how it is going to be worked!

thanks again!!
Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2007, 12:00am

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone has gotten promidi working using the mmj midi system (see: http://www.humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm )?  From what I've been able to gather it works pretty much like mandolane/plumstone, but is under a CC license.

I ran the MandoMidiTester.jar using mmj instead of mandolane, and everything seemed to check out (I could see inputs and outputs and they seemed to function correctly).  

When I tried to run the promidi example it produced an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException on midiIO.openInput(0,0);  (line 18)

Looking up through the log I found that it didn't detect any input devices (though it should have found 2 IAC loopback devices)

I decided to plug in my midi interface to see if that would change anything, and instead it produced the same exception but at the line: midiIO = MidiIO.getInstance(this); (line 11), so it never even got a chance to print the devices.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with my setup right now, or if it's a more general incompatibility problem.  If promidi could be made to work with mmj it would be very useful for those of us trying to develop free cross-platform midi apps who don't want to trouble users with installing mandoline.

Thanks for the great work!

Reply #28 - Feb 20th, 2007, 12:10am

additv, I had no idea that this existed. I'm going to go ahead and try to get it up and running with my m-audio trigger finger tonight after taking off Mandolane to see if it works with my setup. I'll try and post my findings tonight.

BTW, what system are you trying to get this working on (hardware, OS version, etc)?
Reply #29 - Feb 20th, 2007, 12:18am

Sorry, I'm using a mabbook pro (1st edition), running 10.4.8
The first test I ran was just with 2 IAC MIDI loopback drivers, and the second was with a M-Audio Axiom-49 connected through USB.

Yeah, I think that mmj just came out in december, so it's pretty new, but seems to have potential.  Apparently it can also be included as a cross-platform library so it might be easy just to include it with promidi and avoid the whole os-x java midi issue altogether.

Thanks for the quick reply! I eagerly await your results!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5