We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
proMIDI 2.0 (Read 33721 times)
proMIDI 2.0
May 6th, 2006, 11:29pm

Check out the new proMIDI version

http://texone.org/promidi/

To say it first it still lacks mac support, but I have a mac for testing things and I will work on this issue now.

proMIDI now includes a sequencer so that you can start making music in processing. proMIDI now also handles the note off events automatically, you can now create notes with a length and do not longer need to care for sending a note off. another new feature is the new plug method, that works simular to the the plug of oscp5. you can now plug you own methods to handle the incoming mididata of a certain port and channel.

have fun
Re: proMIDI 2.0
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2006, 11:49am

It doesn't work on linux either, does it? I could work on it, if I find some time.

However I think many of processing users use mac or linux, so it would be nice if in the promidi site there was a warning for such people.

Regards

Dario
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2006, 12:23pm

Actually I tested it on mac and it worked, I mean I have not checked everything, but the ports and devices were correctly detected, if there are any bugs, I would definetly tray to fix them.

I have not checked anything on linux, I do not use it and currently do not have the time to get into that, but if you are willing in testing and debugging you are welcome. The source code is included with the download.

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2006, 8:55am

i'e getting an array out of bounds error on this:

void initMidi(){
 midiIO = MidiIO.getInstance(this);
 //midiIO.printDevices();
 midiIO.openInput(0,0);
}

i'm on a mac... could this be the issue...
promidi 2.0
p5 115
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2006, 3:30pm

have you installed plumstone? you need it to get promidi run on mac.
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2006, 2:29pm

I haven't used promidi since the alpha version. With version 2.0 can you still output notes without a predetermined length?
For example, I want to send a "note on" when when you press a key and "note off" on release?

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2006, 8:43pm

Unfortunatly not, but you are right that it would make sense to do so. I will include it in the next update.
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2006, 1:34am

Whah!!!

So it looks like proMIDI 2.0 needs plumstone to work on a non-intel mac.  The intel ones need a product by the same people called Mandolane.  However, proMIDI + Mandolane throws errors which is either related to proMIDI looking for plumstone, or because Mandolane is only supported by Java 1.5.

There is no hope for the MacBook Pro laptop!  I finally got a DS-Xtreme card and want to control visuals with the Nintendo DS, but sigh, the Midi->Processing bridge is proving to be unstable for me.

Any suggestions?
Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2006, 11:39pm

What error messages are you getting?  Please can you cut and paste them here for us to look at.  What version of Java are you using?
Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2006, 6:23am

So, I too have spent the last couple of days tinkering with ProMIDI, Mandolane, one of the newest 15" MacBook Pros and Processing. Here's what I've determined:

a) I have Java 1.5 installed.
b) I can run the MandoMidiTester.jar with success
c) When I run a sample ProMIDI sketch, which simply prints all the devices connected (with Mandolane installed correctly), I am able to see the external MIDI device that I'm using (an m-audio Trigger Finger)

I can compile a very basic Java applet that uses the javax.sound.midi library and list devices no problem. It's only when I try to open an external device that I get the Mandolane unregistered nag screen:

See http://www.mikecreighton.com/dump/CorrectMandolaneBox.png

The same happens when I open up the MandoMidiTester.jar.

Now what happens when we take this into a Processing applet and attempt to open an external MIDI device is this:

http://www.mikecreighton.com/dump/BlankMandolaneBox.png

My only conclusion (because I really don't know a whole lot about Java) is that since Processing (the PApplet) doesn't play nicely with Java Swing, as noted in the FAQ:

"The main rule when using Java code: You cannot use anything from the AWT or Swing (which is built on the AWT), because it will interfere with our graphics model."

I think that the Mandolane unregistered YES / NO box is created using Swing, and hence everything collapses on itself.

So -- the device _could_ work just fine with Mandolane, but I'll need to buy a registered version of it in order to find out. Which I am definitely willing to simply try since I definitely need MIDI input in Java with my MacBook Pro.

Hopefully this sheds some light.
Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2006, 6:49am

Mike has full authority to respond as my proxy.  He is my go-to guy for things MIDI and is helping me with this setup so I defer to his response.

However, I do not have Java 1.5 installed.  Not ready to make that leap.

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2006, 7:40am

Hi Mike and Robert

It looks like ProMidi and Mandolane's nag screens don't want to play together.  Obviously, we want to solve this issue but we don't know enough about Processing and ProMidi to be able to come up with a suitable solution.
Have you any suggestions on how we might change Mandolane to make it Processing compatible whilst retaining its ability to work with other Java programs?  If you prefer to take the discussion off this board then please contact us using the "Contact" page on our web site
Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2006, 8:08am

Seeing as how I really don't know a tremendous amount about Java, I can only speculate about certain things.

I'll go ahead and make contact on the http://www.mandolane.co.uk/ page and purchase a license for it (since the standalone tester applet worked fine on my machine). However, that doesn't resolve getting Processing users with Intel Macs up-and-running with MIDI.

There are two issues here (and maybe a combination of tex, Ben, and Casey can help shed additional light):

1) It is recommended to run Processing with the Java 1.4.2 VM running on the system (Java 1.5 isn't supported with regard to bugs). Obviously Mandolane requires Java 5 (1.5). I'm really not sure how many outstanding issues still exist with Processing running with Java 1.5 installed. I personally haven't had any.

2) If the nag screen is actually the problem (in that it does use Swing and is causing the lock up when a PApplet is run), then an alternative way of limiting the program for trial use may need to be devised. Off the top of my head, I can only suggest making the Mandolane functionality cease to work after something like 15 minutes of use or some other time-based limitation. Having an invidiual agree to the EULA when they download from the site might be an alternative to the pop-up. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Anyway, does anyone else have any thoughts about this?
Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2006, 10:57am

Hello,

Just a stupid question as I don't know so much about MIDI interfacing : Is 'promidi library' (specially sequencer abilities) able to work without a midi configuration on the client machine ? I mean : If I develop an applet that must be runnable on many different machines from the internet and use this library, this applet won't work because promidi sequencer can't work by itself... My aim is to use software generated midi sounds in my web java applet (when clicking in a menu, for exemple) insteed of  mp3 streaming technologies, by exemple. Am I right if I say so ?

If not, do some alternative solutions exists dealing with low weighted sound generation on the client machine with Proce55ing ?

Thanks a lot for your help about that.
Gauthier Boaglio

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2006, 3:03pm

Hello

If there is anything I could change in proMIDI to make it work just let me know. By the way you can also get the sources here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/prolibs.

proMIDI should workonline fine there are already some applets using it, but it depends on the midi implementation of the clients computer. The sequencer is pure java and not dependend  on the hardware however the midiouts are. I plan to include an internal midiout to be able to trigger ess or also visual feedback with the proMIDI sequencer.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5