FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   java and user interfaces
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: java and user interfaces  (Read 477 times)
Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
java and user interfaces
« on: May 1st, 2003, 6:26am »

Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft Corporation \ Quote:
Java's nothing. Java doesn't even.. It's a programming language. It has nothing to do with user interfaces, it has nothing to do with XML, it has nothing to do with the client. It just doesn't show up. ...

I wonder what he will say about Processing; especially when P5's dev puts 2K and XP on top of its list.

pollux

WWW Email
Microsoft and public interfacing
« Reply #1 on: May 1st, 2003, 7:39pm »

as far as i understand, W2K and XP are on top of the list because of JRE 1.4.1_02 (and of course, for their extensive use), correct me if i'm wrong.

as for Microsoft, well, being a MOP (mac oriented person), i'm used to listen to those comments, and then the exact opposite three months later..

------------------
some excerpts from Business 2.0 "The 101 Dumbest Moments in Business" (http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,47750,00.html)

Quote:

5. Celebrating the can-do spirit that continues to make American capitalism the envy of the world:

At a developers conference in September, Microsoft (MSFT) senior vice president Brian Valentine describes the state of the art in OS security: "Every operating system out there is about equal.... We all suck."  

and another one (well, four more),

Quote:

48-51.  .Net: Now we get it:

"One question might be, and I'll be as direct as I can be about this, what is .Net? Unlike Windows, where you could say it's a product, it sits in one place, it's got a nice little box. In some senses, it's a very good question."
- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, at a Microsoft .Net briefing day in July

"We don't have the user-centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence -- presence is the most trivial notion of context."
- Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, on the same topic at the same briefing

"Our biggest problem was policing the use of .Net. Things like .Net Enterprise Servers. That's a great example of where the confusion came from, because it looked like we were slapping .Net on a bunch of random products."
- Charles Fitzgerald, general manager of Microsoft's platform strategy group, in August on ZDNet News

"It's about connecting people to people, people to information, businesses to businesses, businesses to information, and so on. That is the benefit."
- Steve Ballmer, trying again, in an October interview with News.com

pollux | www.frwrd.net
fry

Re: java and user interfaces
« Reply #2 on: May 1st, 2003, 8:43pm »

Quote:
Processing's nothing. Processing doesn't even.. It's a programming environment. It has nothing to do with computational design, it has nothing to do with 2D/3D graphics, it has nothing to do with art. It just doesn't show up. ...

fwiw, win2k/xp are at the top of the list because they have the best java vm, and largest installed base. our user base seems to be split roughly 70-30 between windows and mac (and mac is split 50-50 between os9 and osx, last i checked). but i think the mac/pc split is around 50-50 when you look at the level of actual use versus just requests and downloads.  

i develop p5 mostly on windows, but have acquired a mac laptop as an investment into the project since i think the mac platform is important for p5, and it requires more loving care than just building on pc and releasing on the mac (as many have seen with the nature of bug reports for the mac releases)

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2003, 2:04am »

hehehe. good one fry. ... your post re: download stats made me wonder... what share does linux have in the greater scheme of things? 0.000001%?

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2003, 4:32am »

does this mean that generally, PC users are more talk and less use?

Allen

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2003, 8:05pm »

on May 2nd, 2003, 4:32am, benelek wrote:
does this mean that generally, PC users are more talk and less use

Isn't that how it always is
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2003, 8:08pm by Allen »  
pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 2nd, 2003, 11:07pm »

well, imho, if you buy yourself a mac, for what it cost, you'd better get yourself to use it!
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2003, 1:15am by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
fry

« Reply #7 on: May 3rd, 2003, 12:54am »

on May 2nd, 2003, 2:04am, Martin wrote:
your post re: download stats made me wonder... what share does linux have in the greater scheme of things 0.000001%

numbers for downloading rev 54 for the last month were:

mac os 9 ~18%
mac os x ~21%
windows ~58%
linux ~3%

osx has been slowly moving ahead of os9 over the last year (passing only recently), and linux has been mostly low but getting enough downloads that it makes sense to keep it around (it's an easy build, though we don't test it much).  

no comment from me on the platform wars. we're all one big happy family here.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »