FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Will tutorials be available soon?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 2 
   Author  Topic: Will tutorials be available soon?  (Read 1005 times)
Xu1

WWW Email
Will tutorials be available soon?
« on: Dec 15th, 2002, 11:44pm »

For those of us who "only" use the left side of the brain.(albeit seldom), I plead...

Tony

Glen Murphy

WWW Email
Re: Will tutorials be available soon?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 11:48pm »

I am working on some (mainly targetted towards younger students), although progress is going a bit slow, and I am going on holiday soon, so I doubt I will have anything for some time.

I am not sure if anyone else is working on such things.

Xu1

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 10:24am »

That sounds great...holidays eh? you wouldnt be from Oz?

tony

REAS

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:07am »

The tutorials are third on the list of web documents to be completed:
1. Finish examples
2. Complete reference
3. Create tutorials

I'm teaching a course in Basel in January that will be based on the tutorial structure. This will give the effort a boost. I'm expected to be working on the tutorials at a rapid pace beginning in February.

I really wish they could be completed sooner.  
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:08am by REAS »  
Xu1

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 12:35pm »

I understand, you need to set your priorities I guess, if you want to finish this project...

Its fantastic work so far anyhow guys..

I've noticed that some of the "big" names in the "Flash" community have started to mess with Proce55ing as well....

Tony

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2002, 12:36pm by Xu1 »  
warren
Email
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2003, 6:28pm »

the link to Tutorial One is dead. can i get hold of it somewhere else by any chance?

Josh Nimoy

jtnimoy WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 12:49am »

try the ITP Processing tutorial - this tutorial is focused more on comparing it to director & flash, so it might be helpful to those who are already familiar with either.

http://stage.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~jn429/p5/workshop/

_warren

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 7:49am »

i dont have any expierence with any of them

_martin
Email
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 9:04am »

do you have computing experience?

given that you don't have any flash/director experience, nor if you don't have any computing  experience, i would highly suggest that you try to grab professor john maeda's book entitled 'design by numbers'. though in paper, this book can serve as your springboard in dabbling with computational media. later on, after you've got a good foundation in computing concepts, you can then interface what you know with this guide.

more information at http://dbn.media.mit.edu/

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 12:25pm »

if u've done a lil bit of computing (even just html), u may wish to start with javascript - since it has an excelent tutorial over at www.webmonkey.com

i was able to jump from javascript to Processing pretty easily.

-jacob

_warren

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15th, 2003, 12:46am »

i do have computing expierence. i work with vbscript pretty often, so i've got some coding expierence, just nothing of this nature.  

thanks for the advice tho, i'll check it out...

Josh Nimoy

jtnimoy WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17th, 2003, 9:58pm »

Try the ITP Processing Tutorial in Japanese:

http://stage.itp.nyu.edu/~jn429/p5/workshop/index_japanese.html

translation by Hironobu Fujyoshi

Allen

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19th, 2003, 11:52pm »

I have been working with Processing for about a month or so and have been keeping a well-documented notebook. I'm pretty much new to programming (I'm an art student in fact, a painting major specifically), and I was thinking I might flesh it out and post it here ...

That's if I get some time. : )
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2003, 11:55pm by Allen »  
fry

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20th, 2003, 10:43pm »

on Apr 19th, 2003, 11:52pm, Allen wrote:
I have been working with Processing for about a month or so and have been keeping a well-documented notebook. I'm pretty much new to programming (I'm an art student in fact, a painting major specifically), and I was thinking I might flesh it out and post it here ...

That's if I get some time. : )
yeah, any sort of useful bits like this are great. josh and glen's tutorials are already linked from the 'learning' section of the site, and more would be great--your additional perspective as an art/painting student and new programmer is the sort of thing we're interested in.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 3:45am »

every time i had approached programming, it has been the same way:

1.easier, since the prior experience helped me with the programming state-of-mind

2.reading 'riting and 'rithmetic it from other's people's code. i copy, ergo i learn. (or as my boss used to say "copy, copy... at least you know what you're doing!")

i know it has some defficiencies as a self-tutoring method (time-consuming, a zillion questions a minute, babbling for hours and then not knowing what went wrong, or worst, right!) but it has let me put my hands on some lingo, javascript, html, actionscript, and lately, some java.

van gogh did it (he rather copied rembrandt), so if it worked for him, it might as well work for me! (not that i want to become a van gogh, or else...)

here in the discussion rooms you have a plethora of great examples, from the simpliest one (check my first "applet", haha!) to pieces that let you openmouthed for several seconds (and dripping, sometimes).

and then, just copying, pasting and twiddling with the reference examples, can give you a step-to-step introduction to java, to processing and to this brave new world.

=====
i seize the occasion to re-ask for a downloadable version of the [learning] section, for offline consulting. until the tutorials are ready, that could be a very nice alternative.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2003, 3:47am by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Pages: 1 2 

« Previous topic | Next topic »