FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Why do you do this stuff?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Why do you do this stuff?  (Read 669 times)
Glen Murphy

WWW Email
Why do you do this stuff?
« on: Jan 9th, 2003, 12:41am »

Why are you interested in electronic arts, and what do you hope to get out of it?

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
Re: Why do you do this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 3:11am »

why...

for me, it's more (and less) than (and equal to) art - it's a kind of science with a poetic twist.

when i first started out on digital artmaking, i was working with 3d modelling programs, customizeable rendering engines and a lot of photoshop. of course, as many do, i became excited with the creative capabilities of programming in different forms. photoshop and 3d modelling can help me make great stuff, but it's a one-way exercise. the content of my explorations do not respond (technically speaking), merely the programs that house them.

most of all, i like the kind of feedback that using a digital creative method gives. it allows me to create things as precisely as mathematics, as consistantly as most sciences, and as responsive as a child. i can model ideas, show how and why they work, and even (in my best days) coincidentally create something that says something useful about me and the people i have come to know.

-jacob
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2003, 3:14am by benelek »  
seb

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 3:28am »

I do it because it's fun.

I like the aspect of figuring things out, and the aspect of having the results of your efforts transcend your expectations, and yield unexpected results.

It's no different than experimenting with physical media (paint, etc.). In digital art, complexity emerges from the iterative process of a simple idea instead of the interaction with the "real world", but is equally rewarding. Sometimes I even wonder if that emergence really is that different, or if it all stems from the same underlying principles.

In a nutshell, this is a great field to learn about the world, myself, and have fun. Lego for grown ups like someone said on this board before.

Seb--

gaza

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:19pm »

I started with Printmaking in artschool... and now I enjoy a lot learning all  this new ways of creating images.  

What do I hope to get out of it?*

well, I hope to -continue- getting from it the satisfaction it gives me when I finish something I like. (satisfaction both Visually+Intellectually).
If I'll be able to getmore from it, not sure yet, I'd like to be able to create great graphic art for someone if they needed it (as a job I mean). But for now, I'm having fun leaning new ways of making art and images. Not only with my brushes and pencils.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:20pm by gaza »  
hahakid

1838753618387536 WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 4:00pm »

I don't remember what I was hoping to get out of it when I started, but the reason I do it now is the immense sense of pride I get when I see something that previously only existed in my head, in the real world.

It is such a kick, I'm sure my behavioural pattern and the one of an addict are pretty damn similar!  

My goal is obviously to master this canvas to such an extent that I can build versions of my ideas that are as close to what I have in my head as possible, obviously it's going to take quite a while  

/a

mr.prufrock

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2003, 8:17pm »

Good questions, Glen.

At times, I thought I was doing something interesting and fun, and then I thought perhaps I was just bored.

Indeed I started learning Director Lingo because I was a bit bored of graphic design in college. I remembered I was so excited when I first applied Hooke's Law and made some springy things on screen. I kept dragging the dots and watched them bounce back and forth. That was quite silly (but fun), really.

But those experiments make me keen on science again, so it's good for me. Though I know what I am doing isn't exactly a science.

As for "art", I think many "electronic arts" have very interesting ideas and great visual appeals. But think of the mastery of Rembrandt, or the mystic smile of Mona Lisa, or the characters in Dicken's novels -- I don't know when (or if) "electronic arts" can reach that sort of delicacy, richness and depth. But perhaps that's old-fashioned thinking, or perhaps the context is wrong.

Anyway, I think interdisciplinary studies are often quite obscure at first. To start, I only hope to know what I am doing exactly... doh!

I grow old...I grow old
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Koenie

170825270170825270koeniedesign WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2003, 12:16pm »

I'm interested in electronic arts, because they are dynamic and sometimes random. Randomness has been intriguing me for a long time already. The good thing about electronic arts is the art is able to move and change and react on users, which makes it more interesting then e.g. paintings.

Koenie

http://koeniedesign.com
pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19th, 2003, 8:41pm »

i started with interactive media as a way to expand my knowledge and experience on graphic design. i felt at the moment (and continue to sustain) that it added a new layer that enhances and gives more perspective to what i personally like quite much, graphics.

then i was intrigued by the capacity of interactive media to model some "real life" behaviours and actions. it also permits one to acces, observe and display everyday, natural activities with a critical eye, due to it's (our) capacity to isolate in the model all the variables and conducts that are important to it (us). thus it was (is) a very powerful way to observe and analyse interactive behaviours between computerised systems and users. guess what interactive media is about, isn't it?

last, but not least, it's inmense beauty, embedded in a very contemporary paradigm.

edit: (fancy words to say "because i feel warm inside when i see beautiful works of computer art, and i want to have my saying")
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2003, 8:44pm by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Behaviourist

« Reply #8 on: Apr 7th, 2003, 2:58am »

I've always been useless at taking something apart and trying to piece it back together again so that it worked and resembled how it was orignally before i got my mucky paws on it. Ever since i was a kid its always been that way, until five or six years ago when i actually found that reconstructing and representing them differently was much more interesting. I now enjoy experiencing and viewing information differently from its original source and the computer for me is a perfect machine for how to reconstruct and present this information.

One area of my practice is the reinterpretation of sound in a graphical form. Sound for me is one of the most transient and I explore and relate to sound samples as 'found objects'. The use of computers allows these sounds to be copied, sampled and re-worked where i can present them as screen based works or in the form of installations.

I'm also fascinated by the opportunities the internet and networks have for the production and representation of art. This has encouraged me to be interested in the collaboration possiblilties that the net as a medium possesses, where work becomes interactive, mutates and exists due to the participation of its audience and viewers. For me these 'Context Systems' function in a similar way as online Communities, which I also enjoy participating within. For these types of projects there is a retraceable starting point, an author. What develops from one idea of one single artist with the collaboration of many others, is huge. This is an area i'm interested in with Pogogallery, by allowing the production of artwork to be constructed from the information of the site itself. This includes discussions from users in the forum, articles, sound and images given by the contributors, statistics of traffic etc. The amount of information which is available to used in the construction of work continually grows as the editions and users increase. This results in every participating user/contributor becoming a component of the artwork produced as well as referencing itself within the context it was produced. When viewed hierarchically, the author, artists, platform and participating users are all on the same level.  

What I find to be the most interesting and exciting factor of computer technologies within the arts is the new forms of communication between artist, medium and audience.

regards

www.furtherfield.org:
Latest artwork frequency Love = www.furtherfield.org/cwebb/
www.furthertxt.org
www.furthernoise.org
www.pogogallery.com
www.pogogallery.com/thingsontheinternet
forkinsocket

forkinsockt WWW
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18th, 2003, 11:48am »

media art is a contemporary means of expression. many who practice in this discipline lack an understanding of the grammars available to them. this can have a negative impact on public perception of the discipline, which is unfortunate.

as i wrote one of my peers recently, it is important to represent. to go out into the world, and kick butt. this is why i do this stuff.

Allen

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19th, 2003, 11:48pm »

It beats a heroin habit

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »