FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Teaching
   Course Blueprints
(Moderators: pitaru, REAS)
   skill levels
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 2 
   Author  Topic: skill levels  (Read 4146 times)
barikan

Email
skill levels
« on: Oct 27th, 2003, 4:56pm »

one of the most important aspect of a workshop is that the teacher knows the skill level of students and that he/she can prepare for that level. if a teacher can get this information before the workshop it will help the success.

once, while preparing for a workshop, casey mailed me a categorization for the skill levels of the participants. i think it's a good way to understand the level of students:

0. use computer only for email or writing
1. basic software design tools (photoshop, illustrator, desktop publishing)
2. basic software design tools and basic HTML
3. basic design software, HTML, javascript, actionscript, php
4. fluent design software, HTML, javascript, actionscript, php
5. basic programming language like Java, C
6. fluent with a programming language like Java, C

burak

mKoser

WWW Email
Re: skill levels
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 5:19pm »

that is very usefull, thank you!

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
arielm

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 10:02pm »

yep, usefull indeed...

mikkel, are you preparing a workshop?

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
mKoser

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 10:19pm »

arial... yes and no.

I am trying to get my previous college in denmark to have me do a workshop next fall (working title, something like 'interfacing the computer' or 'beyond keyboard and mouse' ... basic electronic stuff and processing!)

but no, the deal is not there yet, I still have to finish my MA...

but doing a workshop is something I am really keen on doing!  
For now, I am just gathering usefull stuff in my head

arielm

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 1:55am »

a workshop with lego toasting and other kitchen symphonies could be fun!

ariel (which is different from a famous microsoft font name )

mKoser

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 2:18pm »

ARIEL:
(hehe, sorry - I am sure I am not the first to make that spelling mistake!)

I would not target a workshop at doing things like the toaster since I spent far too much time actually building the Lego-toaster and the IO-board... allthough the goal of that workshop in particular was about learning physical stuff, I would not take the same path if I were to teach it.

I would rather target a workshop at how easy it can be to work with other interfaces than the usual ones. I am afraid that by *just* teaching processing, some students - the ones that think programming is unhealthy - would not even get past the basic understanding of what you can do with the computer... by setting briefs that are challenging in both the physical (simple hardware/objects/electronica) AND the digital (proce55ing) I am hoping that everyone will learn stuff they otherwise would have (almost religiously) considered "not for them".

I think it would be worthwhile to experiment both with group-projects (2-3 students) and single-person projects. However, the problem with group projects is, that the ones "afraid" of programming will end up doing the physical stuff, and the digital-freaks (like many of us here) will end up doing the programming ... the goal is to make everyone understand that you can talk to the computer through other things that JUST the mouse, keyboard and wacom board (...and also show them how to do this!)

+ m

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2003, 2:22pm by mKoser »  

arielm

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 6:31pm »

on Oct 28th, 2003, 2:18pm, mKoser wrote:
I am afraid that by *just* teaching processing, some students - the ones that think programming is unhealthy - would not even get past the basic understanding of what you can do with the computer...

yes, i agree that it's a real challenge, and that without a lot of conceptual efforts, it's hard to propose an interesting workshop (that is not only about programming).

one other challenge for me is how to motivate people that are not students in a cursus to participate to such workshops:

why would an artist or designer wish to learn programming afterall

unless it's part of a bigger picture... but which picture

one possible direction: take an artist, propose him a collaboration where it's about to create a piece inspired by her/his work, but with a programmable interface that will be exposed to the public (well, a new genre of public...)
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2003, 6:32pm by arielm »  

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 3:17pm »

i once talked to an established artist and university professor who works with wood. he does not want to even get close to a computer. all the more, use it. after a long discussion, we summed it all up to: "to each, his own."

having taught different groups, i think the age level of the students/participants is of primary consideration.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2003, 3:19pm by Martin »  
arielm

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 4:11pm »

on Oct 29th, 2003, 3:17pm, Martin wrote:
i once talked to an established artist and university professor who works with wood. he does not want to even get close to a computer. all the more, use it. after a long discussion, we summed it all up to: "to each, his own."

okay, so poors are condamned to stay poor, and it's well known that each of us is programmed even before being born for a one single specific task in this world...

hmm... not exactly my school of tought but i agree that it's a well-spread and hard-to-fight motif...

in french, we say: il n'y a que les cons qui ne changent pas

a bit rude (the reason why i'm not offering any translation ) but in essence, it's a judgment about people that refuse changing...

on Oct 29th, 2003, 3:17pm, Martin wrote:
having taught different groups, i think the age level of the students/participants is of primary consideration.

do you mean something like: the more they get old the more they get "hard"

(isn't it a matter of character & maturity instead of age)
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2003, 4:14pm by arielm »  

Martin

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 12:34am »

on Oct 29th, 2003, 4:11pm, arielm wrote:
do you mean something like: the more they get old the more they get "hard"

(isn't it a matter of character & maturity instead of age)

nope. i mean you'll have to consider that the content of what you offer is directly proportional to the audience's age. you wouldn't give a group of rapper teens some teletubbie stuff...

indeed, willingness to learn and open-mindedness is a matter of character.

arielm

« Reply #10 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 1:04am »

okay, let's check your age-based-content theory:

what would you suggest in the context of koenie's forthcoming workshop, targeted to teens (don't know if they're all rappers )

http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_CourseBlueprints_act_ion_display_num_1067441983.html

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 2:38am »

what, teens aren't into teletubbies any more...? i suppose they've also dissed sesame street!

seriously tho, wouldn't a classification of students work better in terms of intelligence types (mathematical, spatial, musical, linguistical, etc)? If you identify modes of learning that will work well, the students themselves should be able to pick some material they like/are inspired by.

Martin

« Reply #12 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 4:45am »

ariel, something they can easily identify with.

jacob, i agree. but these are very general concepts. what specific ones are there?

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 1:14pm »

this psychologist named Howard Gardner aparently defined seven distinct intelligence types:

http://www.swopnet.com/ed/TAG/7_Intelligences.html

the above page seems to be useful for this topic of conversation, since it provides a short description of what each intelligence type usually focusses well on. interestingly, it reads a bit like a horoscope page

Koenie

170825270170825270koeniedesign WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 2:34pm »

About the 7 types: are people able to recognize one of these types for themselves? Especially if you're looking at younger persons, I think it's hard for them to figure out what type they are themselves.

Koenie

http://koeniedesign.com
Pages: 1 2 

« Previous topic | Next topic »