Is it possible to replace Opengl with Kinect?

edited November 2014 in Kinect

Hello!

I am currently working on a project that tracks motion, which then draws depending on where the motion is sensed. At first, I was working with Opengl, however I now want to import a Kinect instead of using the built in camera. Please note that I am still in high school and am fairly new to processing. For the Kinect, I am using the library SimpleOpenNI.

Should I replace Opengl with Kinect or can I run them side by side without the libraries interfering with each other?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Answers

• Answer ✓

Hello !

OpenGL and Kinect are two very differents things, then your question is a bit weird.

The functions relative to the webcam are not a part of OpenGL. OpenGL only deals with the rendering pipeline : how the graphics card interprets data to draw something on the screen.

"I now want to import a Kinect instead of using the built in camera."

You can do it easily. What did you try ? What's wrong ?

• Sorry for the late response!

I'm having trouble implementing the Kinect code by replacing it with the code for the built in camera.

There seems to be a lot of extra code for the Kinect versus the code for the built in camera. Is it just a matter of copying and pasting?

• I have found a solution! I'll just use the code made with the kinect and ditch the one for the built in camera.

Thank you for responding!

• Hi.. when you said 'I'll just use the code made with the kinect', what code are you referring to? could you share the link to it

• Its in the examples of the library that I used for the Kinect called Simple OpenNi. The example I am using is called hands. Hope that helped!