We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Right choice for GIS animation tool
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Right choice for GIS animation tool? (Read 2630 times)
Right choice for GIS animation tool?
May 31st, 2010, 11:56am

Hi, first let me say that I'm a fan of the demoscene, winamp vis, blender3d,....

I participate to the OpenStreetMap project, that creates a free worldmap and is offering open source geodatas.
Currently there seem to be a lack of a cool animation tool that is able to create 2D/3D flys, animating objects along a path etc.... The only thing I know is google earth but thats closed source and with to less possiblities

Therefore I'm thinging to create something in the future...might be Processing the right choice? Or would it be better to use a more GIS focused framework as NASA worldwind,...?
Re: Right choice for GIS animation tool?
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2010, 12:45am

I fear I am not knowledgeable enough in Gis matters to reliably answer you...

I can only say that Nasa Worldwind was mentioned/used somewhere in this forum.
And Processing is basically Java, with an easy to use graphics layer, so you can leverage any Java library you need.
Alternatively, there is pure JavaScript solution with canvas, maybe what Google Earth uses. Note there is Processing.js, which is the Processing API ported to JS + canvas, so it can be a good path. The advantage is that it is more lightweight than an applet (although Processing applets are quite light), perhaps at the cost of performance (and loosing the Java libraries...).
Re: Right choice for GIS animation tool?
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2010, 2:15am

Well yeah a mix would be cool....especially if we integrate SUMO (a traffic simulator) and with a COLLADA interface (for Blender interaction).

Im not sure what would be best: a data generator or a complete animation suite (that is what Blender3D coveres allready very well).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1