We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentCore,  Processing Development Environment (PDE) › Exporting to Java Applet not working
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Exporting to Java Applet not working (Read 2729 times)
Exporting to Java Applet not working
Apr 29th, 2010, 12:24pm

Hello all,

I created a very simple music visualizer using ESS sound library (http://www.tree-axis.com/Ess/) and the openGL tutorial. It divides the sound signal into 80 cubes in 3D and extrudes them depending on the frequency and pitch, changing it's color and brightness too. It looks really cool Tongue

Anyway, it works fine when I run it form the IDE or the application specific file (MAC or Windows) but when I try to open the index.html on the applet folder it just shows a white square. Is this because I'm trying to access the user's microphone or something like that?

My application is not the cleanest of applications I would say...  Embarrassed but I don't see why it wouldn't be exporting correctly. Can someone help me out? You can try out the application for yourself if you download it here:

http://www.elasticcreative.com/clients/Fernando/download.php?f=Visualizer/downloads/visualizer_v07.zip

After it launches, it'll take input from the mic and display 80 colored squares. Once you see something on the screen, press "5" on your keyboard and watch the cubes extrude! In that .zip file there's also the applet folder with the java applet not working Cry

Thanks for your help!
Re: Exporting to Java Applet not working
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2010, 1:28pm

Quote:
Is this because I'm trying to access the user's microphone or something like that?

Yes.

Accessing computer's hardware (and keep in mind not everybody on the Net has a microphone...) is a security issue, so you have to sign your applet to make it work (and users have to accept this (potential) security breach).
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2010, 2:23pm

Hello PhiLho,

Thanks for your insight that's what I suspected. Can you point me in the right direction of how to self-sign an applet? I've done it before for the AIR platform, but I've never done it for a Java applet, or from Processing.

Currently when I open the index, the browser displays a message that says that the applet is trying to access my computer. Even if I allow that prompt, it seems to load and then just freezes in a white frame. After I digitally sign my applet, is it going to display another prompt after that one? I just don't know if it's already asking me and even if I accept it won't function correctly.

Thanks!
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2010, 2:43pm

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2010, 3:28pm

wow, I could've found that with a little more search on my part. Sorry about that. It's working now!! I'll put an example on the exhibition forum shortly!

Thanks,
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1