We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Lightning by Particles UPDATED!!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Lightning by Particles UPDATED!! (Read 2040 times)
Lightning by Particles UPDATED!!
Feb 10th, 2010, 8:32pm

http://rdwong.net/archive/lightning/

Lightning generated using pseudo-lightning physics.
Trying to create a version in OpenGL with actual lighting.

This is the second part of a weather box sketch i am trying to create.
I've spared you guys the first part whcih is a cliche cloud sketch.

Re: Lightning by Particles
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2010, 12:59am

Very cool!
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2010, 2:36am

I like it!
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2010, 6:04am

Very nice. Simple, original.
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2010, 6:51am

Nicely done. I particularly appreciate the "particle view"... Smiley
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2010, 12:26am

I like it!
I wonder how things would change with different particle systems which act on forces themselves...
Re: UPDATED! Lightning by Particles
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2010, 4:56pm

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I have updated the render engine of the lightning for improved realism. My be slightly more taxing on the processor, but I think its well worth it.

Even if you've seen this before, I'd urge you to take another look with the new rendering code, especially the point to point mode. I should also give a disclaimer:

***THIS SKETCH HAS BRIGHT, PULSATING FLASHES. PLEASE TAKE CARE IF YOU ARE PRONE TO FITS CAUSED BY FLASHING LIGHTS

http://rdwong.net/archive/lightning/

Will be interesting to try and minimize strain on processors while creating this in 3D.

Bejoscha:
Thanks! I'm actually working on an entire 3D weather box that both affects and is affected by the particles in it: ie. wind/rain/clouds.
But given 20,000 particles tends to slow processing, I may have to do this in oF. We'll see how it goes.
Re: Lightning by Particles UPDATED!!
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2010, 5:30pm

Nice work! I had attempted something with electricity myself.

Some thoughts...
Is it necessary to update and keep track of all the particles at any particular moment  Why not only update the particles between the two points within a certain range.  Seems like you have a lot of processing power going into tons of particles that are not being used.
Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2010, 5:52pm

jeffg wrote on Feb 16th, 2010, 5:30pm:
Is it necessary to have all the particles on the screen and keep track of them  Why not only track the particles between the two points with a certain degree of width.  As the start and end points change, change the tracking area.  Seems like you have a lot of processing power going into tons of particles that are not being used.

Hi jeffq. Thanks for the feedback. I like the way the electricity looks behind the glass tube.

My reasoning behind using 4500 particles instead of having a few that are randomly hovering about inbetween the 2 points is because I am trying to emulate actual lightning physics in a pseudo environment.

In theory, it is possible, for my lightning to traverse each and every particle in the sketch as it is actively looking for the shortest possible path to the ground/target via all the particles. (I imagine this to look really cool if it ever happens.)This is of course, extremely unlikely, but is what causes the random nature of the each bolt. Thus, the processors will have to whir. If this gets too loud, I will look for an oF solution.

UPDATE:
jeffq: Actually, I was considering what you said and I think it may be worthwhile to explore reducing the number of active particles in using this for other applications. Will keep you posted! Thanks!
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2010, 8:14pm

Very very nice work  Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1