We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Game of life and others ...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Game of life and others ... (Read 2358 times)
Game of life and others ...
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:25am

A variation of the John Conway's Game of Life :
- the test grid is larger than the original one (5*5 instead of 3*3)
- the live and death parameters are =4 , <4 >4
(see the applet for more explainations)

Jeu de la vie (in french)

Old interactive sketches at the same place :
Moirage (3D dots with interferences)

Soft Body (2D soft body simulation)

Perspective (3D bumping of flat images with different resolutions - for thinking about perspective)

Tableau ("Generative art")

What are you thinking of
Re: Game of life and others ...
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2010, 9:12am

Simples 3 rules ... "real" life !

Try this ("1" for starting, "c" for clearing) :

(1 : pixel on / 0 : pixel off)

Cry Is there someone for leaving comment  Cry
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2010, 11:25am

I tried this when it first appeared on the Exhibition forum but had problems getting started. Unfortunately my French is not as good as your English also it seems slow to react to mouse and keyboard events which made me think I was doing something wrong as I kept clicking and bashing the keyboard. (I liked the zoom editor - very neat solution to the problem of initialising the game)

The effect appears to me much more symmetric than the original game of life and the balance between the creation of life and death was heavily in favour of life so the screen soon became very white and the detail was lost.

I was pleased to get a 'glider', it might be interesting to try and find the equivalent of the Gosper Gun for a 5x5 grid.

I also tried the others on your website and enjoyed them all except Perspective where I could not get anything to show (probably my poor French again).

Nice work.
Smiley
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2010, 3:05pm

Thanks for your comments. I think about slider and other predefined init cells for each predefined parameters... Maybe, i will add these things after.

I think you've pressed the "2" init key in the game of life : the symetric one.
Try the "1" init key : it's quite more interesting.

One other example -in "1" init key-:
(1 : pixel on / 0 : pixel off)

For Perspective (and others) : try the keys written on the right (not special french keys <|;-) and enjoy results.

NB : I will add english translation for each sketches as soon as possible
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2010, 3:54pm

Very nice, inspirational in fact. I loved Tableau, got stuck watching it for a while. =)
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2010, 12:35am

Very nice, but my French is 0%  Wink
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2010, 4:11pm

A particular one or the whole

NB : I've added english and french buttons in each page for parameters traduction especially for you ...
and others (Quark for example : try again perspective !)

At the same place

(is French deprecated <|;-)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1