We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Spam :( (Read 17606 times)
Spam :(
Feb 8th, 2010, 2:13am

The Programs section of Discourse seems to be getting a lot of 'spam'.  In isolation they just look like naive, badly phrased questions ('What is game programming?', 'How to learn to program' and bizarrely 'How to protect my USB driver') but they're all first posts from new users that have arrived in quick succession.

It's all rather sinister  Shocked

Edited:
Actually if you look at the names of the people posting these things there is some commonality...
Re: Spam :(
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2010, 2:15am

Or there's this (look at the signature).
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2010, 3:17am

Yes i just deleted all of them. But they are popping up again...
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2010, 3:44am

there've been hundreds of people registering since january this year (about 80 yesterday) and 95% of them are fake who either post nothing or just post junk ("Yes, i agree..."). it's people trying to up their pagerank in google (and is, according to my friend who works there, completely ineffective).

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2010, 10:16am

I created a PHPBB bulletin board for a small handful of people to share messages after my dad died, and it had new users signing up to spam it almost straight away... just about ever day, more accounts... I can only assume it is automated, since anyone looking at the site would realise there is essentially zero value in spamming it.

Damn annoying as well.

I've heard that there are IT/spam sweatshops where employees make about $2 a day to manually 'crack' something like 1000 captcha-like spam protections. How can you compete with that?

One answer is to raise the bar higher. Rather than allow an account to be self activated, just start with email verification, then make the user must write a 'letter' explaining why they want an account. If that passes the sniff test, then let them post, and make the first so-many posts by a user moderated; moderators will probably smell a rat with these bogus one-line off-topic / nonsensical posts and have another chance to delete them. If it really is a legitimate user, they can email again.

The benefit (that I see) in making people email the site, is that spam filters seem to be pretty good these days. I can't imagine any readily-available bulletin-board system competing with the spam filters on, say, gmail, which has the advantage of looking at millions of emails to millions of other users to see patterns of spammers.

Well, that is assuming that the number new legitimate users is reasonably small. In this case, I imagine that the "100" users now where 95 are bogus is more annoying to delete the 95 bogus ones than it would be to specifically allow just the 5 legit users.

-spxl
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2010, 10:38am

I had a similar experience with PHPBB. Maybe, that's one of the benefit of YaBB since it's Perl based.

I just remember strange posts, but I can't find it...
Humm... Strange... Hey wait...

Where's the thread about 'Design for Haity' gone?
http://www.google.com/search?as_sitesearch=processing.org&as_q=haity&formsession=04263B373127273D3A3374657A64133B3B540&x=0&y=0

Embarrassed
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2010, 11:08am

i use the 'see x recent posts' link to browse this site and you easily notice all the bibble that way. all those 'meetups in Chicago' threads look suspicious - first posts by new people, devoid of processing content.

> I've heard that there are IT/spam sweatshops where employees make about $2 a day to manually 'crack' something like 1000 captcha-like spam protections. How can you compete with that?

offer them $2 a day to go somewhere else? 8)

the captcha doesn't appear to be even enabled on this site (it is an option - i installed yabb at home to check) and is just a perl script that generates a speckled image. i did mention on the other thread that we could probably do a better job ourselves. 3d rotating java applet captcha anyone? (except, of course, that'll keep out people trying to register to ask how to install java)(plus, i think these registrations are actually people, not robots)

just making them wait a day before posting might help.
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2010, 11:21am

we definitely need a solution. i dont care what kind of. but i have been deleting over 30 spam posts today. they are really hard to spot at first sign, as they post questions and make sense, and answer themself with a different account. they also post some senseful replies to existing threats. i am just getting tired of deleting them...
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2010, 1:02pm

koogy, since there is evidence there are humans behind this attack, a Captcha wouldn't help at all.

Personally, I remain conservative, leaving semi-sensical messages, relatively on topic (like those in the Recover files after crash thread), as long as there is (not yet) links in the signature.
Unless the user has a commercial link in their WWW field...
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2010, 1:18pm

i am still deleting these posts cause i believe there is no reason to let them be successful infiltrating this board. if you dont delete these messages, they wont stop.
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2010, 1:43pm

Anything with a time delay is good... How about a captcha that doesn't actually display for few minutes (a random time) and then only displays briefly?

That way, whoever is trying to 'crack' it has to sit and wait, watching the screen, and won't be able to crack many in parallel because you can only watch so many at a time.

Maybe something really boring like "click on the moving box" that takes a while.

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2010, 1:44pm

gll wrote on Feb 8th, 2010, 10:38am:
Where's the thread about 'Design for Haity' gone
http://www.google.com/search?as_sitesearch=processing.org&as_q=haity&formsession=04263B373127273D3A3374657A64133B3B540&x=0&y=0

Embarrassed

That is an excellent question. Is there a moderator log that shows who deleted it Have we been censored

-spxl
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2010, 2:02pm

good question, wasnt me, i cant delete in these parts of the board:)
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2010, 2:04pm

Whats wrong here, i cant delete or modify my own posts anymore? thats why i just mistakenly quoted myself.

edit: ok works again, i had to login again.
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2010, 3:06pm

subpixel wrote on Feb 8th, 2010, 1:44pm:
gll wrote on Feb 8th, 2010, 10:38am:
Where's the thread about 'Design for Haity' gone

Embarrassed

That is an excellent question. Is there a moderator log that shows who deleted it Have we been censored

-spxl

I removed it on Saturday while cleaning up the spam. It had also become overtaken by spam messages, and it wasn't clear which were the spammers trying to stir the pot, and which were legitimate responses.

But the bottom line was that separate from Casey's original post, it was completely off-topic for this discussion board, so I decided to simply remove it.

We try not to police the boards, and *really* don't like removing things, but in this case I made the call based on the combination of circumstances. Had the spam mess not begun I wouldn't have bothered, but the purpose of this part of the site is really straightforward, so let's keep it on-topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4