We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › cannot run web applet with opengl
Pages: 1 2 
cannot run web applet with opengl (Read 2799 times)
cannot run web applet with opengl
Jan 26th, 2010, 9:43am

Hello All,
I have a problem for running a web applet with OpenGL, which always stuck in the step of loading OpenGL, while it works well with P3D. Even though I searched relevant subjects in the forum, I cannot figure it out...
I would be happy if you give me some hints.
My test page is architecturalecologies[dot]web[dot]fc2[dot]com[slash]processing[slash]test_opengl_web[slash]test_opengl_web[dot]html, so I guess you can see what is a problem.
Re: cannot run web applet with opengl
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2010, 10:24am

Work fine for me in FireFox in Windows XP

There i an issue regarding OpenGL and applets (not the fault of Processing) and there have been several recent threads in the discourse which you might search for.
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2010, 10:51am

Hello Quark,
Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you mean that you tried my page by "Work fine"?
Although I tried it on mac(os x 10.4.11 with firefox and safari) and xp with firefox and ie, the results were the same...

While I'm now reading each thread in opengl,s forum, I cannot reach a solution so far... I'm happy if you could suggest where it is.
Many thanks.
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2010, 11:57am

I linked to your webpage (I did not download it) I was using FireFox (Windows XP) which seems to be better behaved than IE

I have also viewed OpenGL applets (not yours) on the Mac (Snow Leopard) and it seems to work well in FireFox but not Safari.
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2010, 1:15pm

Many thanks, Quark.

Although I tired it once more with Firefox on XP and os X, which is the same as you other than Tiger in the case of mac, the result was same, stucking at a loading part, meaning that even the progress bar never appeared...

Since the code is the simplest, so is this a problem of my machine setting like some compatibility problems?

Actually, I've suffering from this problem since long time ago. I thought that was due to my rental site... But now this seems to be from other reasons.

I'm happy if anyone give me some suggestions.

Many thanks.

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2010, 4:45am

Quote:
Actually, I've suffering from this problem since long time ago. I thought that was due to my rental site... But now this seems to be from other reasons.

When you export it on you drive, is working locally?

Did you checked if there's no prohibited files on your server? (Some servers may restrict the access to *.dll files.) Could you check if all the files are properly loaded on your server?

Did you edit the HTML file?

Could you zip your files in one zip, some else may try to upload it on a different server?
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2010, 5:18am

Many thanks, gll.

1. Since it can work locally, this problem is only on the web.

2. Since other libraries such as PeasyCam, physics and quickhull3d can work ( you can see at architecturalecologies[dot]web[dot]fc2[dot]com[slash]processing[slash]gravitropic_architecture[slash]gravitropic_architecture[dot]html), it would be a bit weird if only opengl are not allowed...

And, yes, all of the files exported from processing have been loaded without any omissions in this case.

3. What do you mean by "edit the HTML"? Usually, I just used the default html file by exporting command of processing... While you could see it by seeing the page's source code, it is like this:
<!--[if !IE]> -->
<object classid="java:com.sun.opengl.util.JOGLAppletLauncher.class"
type="application/x-java-applet"
archive="test_opengl_web.jar,opengl.jar,jogl.jar,gluegen-rt.jar,core.jar"
width="300" height="300"
standby="Loading Processing software..." >

<param name="archive" value="test_opengl_web.jar,opengl.jar,jogl.jar,gluegen-rt.jar,core.jar" />
<param name="mayscript" value="true" />
<param name="scriptable" value="true" />
<param name="image" value="loading.gif" />
<param name="boxmessage" value="Loading Processing software..." />
<param name="boxbgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />
<param name="progressbar" value="true" />
<param name="subapplet.classname" value="test_opengl_web" />
<param name="subapplet.displayname" value="test_opengl_web" />
<param name="test_string" value="outer" />
<!--<![endif]-->

Should I change somewhere to make it work?

4. I didn't try zipping to one file. Do you mean zipping all the .jar file to one zip file other than .html and .pde? Is it a magic procedure?(sorry, probably this is a silly question...)

Yes, I should try doing on other servers. I'm now looking for...

Many thanks!
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2010, 5:26am

Quote:
2. Since other libraries such as PeasyCam, physics and quickhull3d can work...

Maybe you should try to export something which doesn't require external libraries, it may be your problem. (but something using just openGL)

Quote:
3. What do you mean by "edit the HTML"? Usually, I just used the default html file by exporting command of processing

Yes, this is what I mean, you are using the one exported by processing. You did not edit the file after. The problem shouldn't be there. I wonder where physics and PeasyCam are stored? That may be your problem.

Quote:
4. I didn't try zipping to one file. Do you mean zipping all the .jar file to one zip file other than .html and .pde?

I mean try to put all you have, so it could be tried on a different server, mine for example.

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2010, 6:01am

Quote:
I wonder where physics and PeasyCam are stored? That may be your problem.

sorry, probably I made you confused. The "gravitational_architecture" in the previous post does not use the opengl, but using PeasyCam, physics and quickhull3d. I just meant my rental server should load external liblaries since it can load the above. But in the case of "test_opengl_web", it cannot, which I don't know why... I'm always putting my stuff within the same folder as .html, so it should find where easily, probably.

Quote:
mine for example

Oh, can i try yours? but how?
Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2010, 6:06am

Edited:
but how?

Zip it, Load it, Link it and Post it...
Technologic...
Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2010, 6:15am

Ok! I just "Load it" at architecturalecologies[dot]web[dot]fc2[dot]com[slash]test_opengl_web[dot]zip
(sorry, still i cannot use the direct link, which is inconvenient)

It includes all stuffs from processing exporting, which i didn't touch other than changing the name of .html file from "index".

I really appreciate your help. I hope I haven't waste your time.

Many thanks!
Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2010, 7:30am

Here, it's online and working: http://anar.ch/var/testOpenglWeb
(On Opera|Linux)

I did an edit in the name (removed the underscores in you name). Try to avoid that when you export for the web. I renamed back index.html but your original page is also working: http://anar.ch/var/testOpenglWeb/test_opengl_web.html

Then, it might be something with your server or with your browser.
Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2010, 7:57am

Really thanks, gll!

Yes, I should change the server now, since my firefox can also run your page on os x without any problems. Since this free server was really popular in japan, i just continued to use it just without any good reason. silly man. Crxp fcx.com!

Anyway, I'm really happy to meet you. Thank you very much indeed.

All the best!
Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2010, 8:00am

Could I remove the test now?
Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2010, 8:14am

sure! Many thanks, gll!!!
Pages: 1 2