We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing coder DIY workcamp
Pages: 1 2 
Processing coder DIY workcamp (Read 6272 times)
Processing coder DIY workcamp
Jan 11th, 2010, 12:50am

Hey guys, i recently stumbled upon this post again
http://is.gd/63o8y which is still a really good read btw.

but one quote by marius watz came to my attention

Quote:
A suggestion:

I recently emailed Casey to ask if a Processing coder workcamp had been considered, i.e. not a workshop but a DIY camp where people would meet to tinker with the Processing core, write new libraries etc. He replied that such an idea would be excellent once 1.0 is out. I look forward to that. For now, I've downloaded the source, retro-hacked some quirks and keep producing work with Processing.

this was back in 2006. So now as Processing 1.0 is out. i thought it would be a good idea to think about it again...
Re: Processing coder DIY workcamp
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2010, 5:43pm

Cedric,

Let's do it.

Casey
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2010, 6:43pm

I definnitely would but I am pretty sure i am not experienced enough to start working on the processing core itself. But i would love to contribute in any posstible way if we find some people who like the camp idea as well...
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2010, 7:30pm

Could be a good thing to do here in NYC. Marius, Dan Shiffman, many others, (yep, myself), etc., etc.

Hint. Wink
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2010, 9:35pm

- or perhaps in Dallas.

Based on some prior experience, it would probably be good to do some planning remotely, and then when a group is convened, have a somewhat organized implementation plan.

It may be possible to stir up some $ support for this.
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2010, 10:22am

It can also be in all of those places at the same time, with some remote links. And it doesn't need to be about working on the Core, people interested in building Libraries, Tools, Tutorials, the new Wiki etc. can benefit of a day or two of concentrated work together. I bet we could get a group together in SF and/or LA too.
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2010, 7:41am

Marvelous!

I think there's so many crucial questions discussed in that thread (back in 2006) which are very relevant for the future of processing (or, at least, us trying to help...). I missed that discussion, but I felt that I ran through similar questions many times. I may have yet another different point of view and it is very meaningful to understand better other point of view on processing.

Essentially this discussion about an Imperative Style VS OOP, which seems very tied to some limitations we have experimented in the current development of our geometric library (scene graph), would be a great benefit, to better understand decisions that have been taken.

For example:

* Why most of PShape fields are protected?
 * Why does PMatrix3D is final and PMatrix2D is not?
 * Could we come with an interface to uniformize all Vertices classes currently available in many similar but always different forms?

I have many questions, but as you see, it might be more interested into geometrical issues and libraries.

Maybe, we should form a group in Europe as well? Berlin, Lausanne?
Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2010, 8:36am

Quote:
Maybe, we should form a group in Europe as well? Berlin, Lausanne?

that was my thought. depends on when, cause i am just about to move to berlin...
Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2010, 1:15pm

Berlin sounds good.
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2010, 3:33am

I would love to join the group – what about the summer? London or Berlin would be perfect.

cheers,
-steffen
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2010, 11:56am

same here. sounds like a great idea!
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2010, 2:16pm

yup, let's do it! London +1 Berlin +1 Smiley
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2010, 3:28pm

sounds good. +1 for berlin Smiley
Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2010, 9:53pm

summer processing in berlin that would be great. +1 berlin (+1 summer)
Reply #14 - Jan 22nd, 2010, 6:26am

I wonder what should be a proper form for this to be effective. I mean, in my experience, remote work was not always effective, unless it's well planned and there's clear common outcome.
Pages: 1 2