We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 
Recover files after crash (Read 6352 times)
Recover files after crash
Nov 25th, 2009, 1:10pm

More than once have I lost a couple of hours of work after my computer crashing. I've a bad habit of not remembering to save, and it's more than aggravating when my computer crashes and I lose all that work. Processing needs a feature which allows us to easily recover files in case of the environment, or computer, crashing.

Edit: I can find the temp files kept for the program in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\", but it's in Java, and I have to go through the several hundred lines to convert it back to Processing.
Re: Recover files after crash
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2009, 4:22pm

Look again: in temp dir, Processing creates folders with prefixes "console" (stderr and stdout), "build" (the generated .java and the compiled .class) you found, but also "untitled" if you ran a sketch without saving it. The latter has the .pde file.

Beside, you should really force yourself to save for anything else that a few lines. Ctrl+S is your friend!
I would even recommend to use a good VCS (or DVCS) to keep track of changes!
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009, 9:47pm

And even you are right PhiLho i would love to see a feature that creates an autosaved backup file in the processing folder that saves everytime the programm is executed. Shouldnt be to hard to implement i guess.
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2009, 2:45am

Well, it does that already, except that's not in the sketchbook or Processing folder... It isn't hard to find back the file, searching by name if you gave one, by date, etc.

Now, maybe making the generated PDE file a little more accessible might be possible, perhaps with an option. After all, not everybody will know where to search to start with.
Or perhaps a special menu offering to access the last auto-saved files.
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:33am

I'm definitely glad I found this thread.  I'm pretty forgetful to when it comes to saving.  But I'm really lazy... like I just need a button right there that just says "save"
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 1:14pm

What I've found works well for me is to have an external drive attached to the computer. Since it's in my view, I always ask myself, "Why did I put that there again?" and then it reminds me to back up all my info.

I can't tell you how many times that has saved me. I think everyone needs to have an epic data loss once before they truly realize the value and importance of making a back up!
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:01pm

I am on Mac; everything here seems like help for PC. I lost files a couple of times. All I did was select new and click save when asked if I wanted to save. But I cannot find the saved file (on the Mac). Please Please help.

PhiLho  wrote on Nov 26th, 2009, 2:45am:
Well, it does that already, except that's not in the sketchbook or Processing folder... It isn't hard to find back the file, searching by name if you gave one, by date, etc.

Now, maybe making the generated PDE file a little more accessible might be possible, perhaps with an option. After all, not everybody will know where to search to start with.
Or perhaps a special menu offering to access the last auto-saved files.

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 5:13am

I don't know the default sketch folder on the Mac, but I think it should be documented somewhere on the site...
If you go to File > Preferences, the first field shows this location, too.
And if you open a file, it should point right where you have saved the files.
Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 6:14am

what is this platform about?
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 8:37am

War Wizard, you're right.  An external drive with daily automated backups is mandatory.  I learned an expensive lesson two months ago that cost my consulting business over $ 20,000 and counting.  We even sent the hard off to pull files off and was only partially successful.  

Live & learn Angry
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 1:16pm

I think you must give shot to data recovery tools to solve the problem of lost files. With the use of data recovery software, almost all hard drives can be recovered.

you should always send it to the technical advanced computer geeks when you could no longer recover your data using the data recovery software.

If you want some good data recovery software and tools, than for sure you must read this review at: data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/hard-drive-crash.html  Wink
Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2010, 5:50pm

May be you can try this software. It can help us restore the old files that have been deleted from our computer.

VirtualLab Data Recovery
This software is free
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2010, 7:11am

Make it a habit to save your work all the time. Once you do the CTRL + S Every now and then, you'll get used to it soon. Smiley
Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2010, 8:36am

The BEST way to backup for me is using Dropbox - I linked it in with my processing folder (on a mac, symbolic link) - now everything gets backed up all the time - even a basic versioning system. The PDE files are tiny so it works really well.

Also means I can get to my Processing stuff from other machines.

James
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2010, 12:29pm

I agree with TroyP whole-heartedly.  If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's this.     Save Early Save Often.  
Using autosave features helps too, in various areas such as with word or excel and of course blogging.
Pages: 1 2