We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing seems VERY slow in Snow Leopard
Pages: 1 2 3 
Processing seems VERY slow in Snow Leopard (Read 15420 times)
Processing seems VERY slow in Snow Leopard
Aug 31st, 2009, 11:46am

Howdy All,

I am relatively new to Processing - it's been working great and very interesting to learn.

I just installed the upgrade to Snow Leopard on my Intel-based Mac and Processing is now very, very slow. The visualization I had developed was very snappy, now it's almost click and wait.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions for solutions (I looked for other posts but did not see anything).

Thanks,

Fujo
Re: Processing seems VERY slow in Snow Leopard
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:42am

That shouldn't be the case... Is it consistent even with the example programs? Certain types of programs (e.g. certain renderers)?

Snow Leopard defaults to Apple's Java 1.6 implementation, which contains some differences from the 1.5 release we've been using as default, so there might be trouble. I'll try to install Snow Leopard sometime in the next few days and test it myself.
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:00am

I haven't noticed any slowdowns, but the video libraries don't seem to work, namely processing.video.MovieMaker and video.Capture.

I get an UnsatisfiedLinkError: quicktime.QTSession.Gestalt(I[I)S

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:20am

Yes, luke, apparently it was expected, see Test of MovieMaker video type (end of thread).
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:57am

First Post!  yahoo.

My girlfriend and I are both learning Processing, and we have both upgraded to Snow Leopard as well.  We both have white MacBook Pros, c. late 2007... mine is a 2.16 Core 2 Duo.

On my computer, Processing is simply slow... I use a TextMate bundle for my coding as an external editor, but running the Processing play command is an exercise in waiting.  It works, but not fast.

Her experience is more problematic... Processing keeps crashing.

Any ideas?  Has Processing been tested against Java 1.6?

thanks,
-Allan
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2009, 2:05pm

fry wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:42am:
That shouldn't be the case... Is it consistent even with the example programs Certain types of programs (e.g. certain renderers)

Snow Leopard defaults to Apple's Java 1.6 implementation, which contains some differences from the 1.5 release we've been using as default, so there might be trouble. I'll try to install Snow Leopard sometime in the next few days and test it myself.

I tried the demo apps, they seem to work fine. I don't recall exactly how quickly they ran before.

One upside is that there was a persistent java error when starting processing, this seems to be gone.
Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2009, 8:22am

My Processing app, that uses OpenGL, decreased performance by 25% FPS on my new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

I started a thread on it in the OpenGL section before seeing this thread.
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/?num=1252163152
Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2009, 1:10pm

It's possible that it's more changes to the "apple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz" Java property, though I'll have to check later. It may just be that Java 6 on Snow Leopard is slower.

Other than that, you can complain to Apple about their Java implementation, since that's completely out of our control. You can use http://bugreporter.apple.com or http://apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2009, 3:34pm

If it is the Java 6 (which I think runs in 64bit on SL), could you post the proper work around to get it running on the fastest java version (be it 32bit Java 5 or Java 6).  I've also heard some issues regarding OpenGL on SL (http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/08/29/benchmarks...snow.leopards/).  Let us know what we need to report to apple.
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2009, 10:57am

The new release of Processing specifically requests the 32-bit version instead of the 64.

To check the quartz property, what does this return?
println(System.getProperty("apple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz"));
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2009, 11:28am

This is what I get from println(System.getProperty("apple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz"));
Code:
true
true
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2009, 8:49am

hi,

This issue is rather a system wide issue related to all OpenGL applications on 10.6 according to snow leopard reviews i could read here and there. actually openGL seems to be the only down side of 10.6.... too bad

did 10.6.1 update helped anyhow ?

let's hope apple releases an update that addresses this issue some time soon!

meanwhile i'll keep my summer leopard Smiley
Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2009, 8:30am

I upgraded to Snow Leopard the day it came out.  I just recently installed processing, a week ago, and haven't had any issues.  Could there be files that were corrupted or overwritten during the upgrade?
Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2009, 8:36am

You would really only see the performance change on projects that press the frame rates.  It appears to be a know issue with OpenGL performance in SL, which decreased from Leopard.  It's also possible that Java 5 was faster than Java 6 (not sure if this has been rejected).  At this point, I don't think it is Processing, but I'm hoping for anything that can increase performance.
Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2009, 10:35am

You can still try to install Java 1.5 on SL like i did and i haven't noticed any slowdowns on OpenGL.

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/?num=1252388891
Pages: 1 2 3