We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing and OpenGL.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing and OpenGL. (Read 906 times)
Processing and OpenGL.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:55am

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right forum, so please direct me to an appropriate place if necessary.

I'm looking for the best implementation of OpenGL in a browser, and I've come across processing. My usage doesn't really intersect well with the needs of most people here, but I'm interested in a few questions about processing, and maybe Java applets in general.

If I only want to use processing for OpenGL calls, does it really serve any purpose? What I'm involved in doesn't really necessitate much in the way of artistic visuals.

My MAIN question is, does processing allow, in fact, does any in-browser OpenGL implementation allow for resizing of the screen? If not, there would be little reason for me to switch my current way of doing things.

P.S. Despite my current needs, Processing seems really cool. I definitely would like to play around with it in the future.

Re: Processing and OpenGL.
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2009, 1:20pm

It may be more of a problem with OpenGL than with processing as I know both OpenGL and DirectX have to re-create the rendering surfaces whenever a resize event occurs. And it's even worse when switching between full screen and windowed mode because all of the textures on the video card are invalided and need to be reloaded either from system memory (which wastes resource) or streamed again off disk.

So resizing the window is generally a relatively slow process. I haven't looked at how processing's implementation works though.

The place to look would be to see what kind of support is provided by the JOGL implementation. If it can be done with pure java it can be done in processing.

Hope that sheds some light.

Jack
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1