We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpElectronics,  Serial Library › a world of pain (serial = serious hardware crashes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
a world of pain (serial = serious hardware crashes (Read 955 times)
a world of pain (serial = serious hardware crashes
Jun 12th, 2009, 2:16pm

under reference/libraries/serial/mac os x it says: "Tom Igoe was kind enough to note that you'll be in a world of hurt if you disconnect your serial adapter while a sketch is running—it'll prolly freeze the machine and require a forced reboot. "

ok, well I'm in a worse place than that. if anyone can help/suggest anything at all that will be helpful I will be most grateful.

I'm running mac os x 10.5.7
bringing in 2 usb2.0 wireless devices via a hub (because my macbook pro only has 1 usb2.0 port  Undecided ) using SILAB's CP210x driver (silabs provide mac drivers but no mac support)

it was all working fine until a couple of days ago when one of the rx/tx connections disconnected/interrupted itself. I've since had 7 serious hardware crashes in 3 days. 4 in the last hour - now everytime I start up my sketch (basically within a few minutes) the grey veil comes down and my mac tells me I have to reboot

I've tried running disk utilities and it freezes.

I've also tried running the sketch via bootcamp, on the pc side, but it won't run at all (despite all the initial development being done on the pc side)

thanks for any replies
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1