We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Wayfarer: first Processing roguelike
Pages: 1 2 
Wayfarer: first Processing roguelike? (Read 4325 times)
Re: Wayfarer: first Processing roguelike?
Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2009, 12:57am

ps -- that is intriguing.  I wonder if the labyrinth algorithm could relate to the musical algorithm somehow.  Or, musical phrases could be introduced along with new rooms, loops / loop-backs occurring when re-entering an area, minor/diminished/threatening tonal shifts during battle...I have a lot more code to hash before that is more than a pipe dream, though.

cloister -- thanks for all the alpha testing!  Let's see:

* Fixed the portal bug -- man, was that a pain to track down.
* I'm pretty darn sure slithergadees have been fixed, which makes me wonder if your browser is reloading the game properly.  Mozilla browsers can be tricky with Java.  A good way to tell is to check the date on the help screen -- should match the most recent update info.  If it won't reload, some have found it useful to clear their Java cache -- there's a link to some instructions at the bottom of the Wayfarer page.
* [edit:  Items, traps, and monsters are now saved each time you exit a level.]

Ben

[edit: cloister -- found the bug.  Monsters were regenerating hitpoints rampantly with no limit.  The longer you walked around a level, the bigger and badder everything got.]
Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2009, 1:39pm

I don't have anything particular to add, I just wanted to post so that this thread will come back up to the top of the list in the forum; more people need to try out Wayfarer!
Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2009, 2:04am

cloister wrote on Apr 16th, 2009, 1:39pm:
I don't have anything particular to add, I just wanted to post so that this thread will come back up to the top of the list in the forum; more people need to try out Wayfarer!

gotten slightly addicted once more to the genre hei Wink
Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2009, 9:39am

No updates yesterday because I was determined to get past level 35 of Target Defense.  Laser crack!  Back on track.  Hai!

http://zippythepinhead.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/99/images/ZIT90625.gif

edit: fixed some gnarly bugs that had me stopped cold, so there should be regular updates again.

--Ben
Reply #19 - May 13th, 2009, 5:17am

Just found this through Offworld

http://www.offworld.com/2009/05/wayfarer-ben-hemmendingers-dan.html

Fantastic work, I love me some Rogue action.
Reply #20 - May 13th, 2009, 8:25pm

Thanks!  I was totally taken off-guard by the feedback and interest resulting from that Offworld link.  Around 1500 people rolled up characters today.  I'm pretty tickled.

---Ben
Reply #21 - May 16th, 2009, 11:22am

I don't know of any other Wayfarer than Maeterlink's. And I think he would be disgusted with this game. I done punched a ram until he bled all over the plane.
Reply #22 - May 16th, 2009, 1:46pm

Apparently you didn't notice you were listening to Mahler's "Songs of a Wayfarer" at the time?  Also, it is a masterfully depressing poem with lots of imagery of death and blood:

Sing no more, bloom no more,
Spring is over now,
Every song is ended now.
When darkness falls, I lie awake,
thinking of my sorrow.

I have a burning dagger,
a dagger deep in my heart,
Ah pain, it cuts so deep.
In every joy and pleasure deep,
so deep it cuts with pain so deep.

Is it not a lovely world?
Ding, ding, lovely thing.
Ah, how much I love the world. Heigh, ho.
Reply #23 - May 16th, 2009, 1:54pm

Or, perhaps more apropos:

Walking in the fields today
dew still on the grasses hung,
spoke to me the merry finch:
Hey you there!
So I done punched it 'til it bled across the plane.
Every song is ended now.
Pages: 1 2