We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Target Defense: Laser Syndrome
Pages: 1 2 
Target Defense: Laser Syndrome (Read 7245 times)
Re: Target Defense: Laser Syndrome
Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2009, 5:34am

I'm sucked into this little game, spent an hour last night playing it. Wasn't sure if more towers were more powerful than upgrading two towers.  Great job on it!!! Smiley
Reply #16 - Apr 12th, 2009, 5:48am

nicely done. i loved playing it.
keep up the good work
Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2009, 4:43pm

I don't see anything in the game the explains the close, far, weak, strong, & new.  You mention changing a tower to far, but what does that do.  What is the difference between them?  I'm also trying to understand what the "interest" thing is...

I got to wave 37... lives went to 9999 and the creeps never seem to die. After a good 30min or so, all the lives are used... game over.  ???  
Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2009, 5:55pm

jeffg, interest is a bonus accumulation on your cash calculated when a new wave starts.

Near, Far, Weak, Strong and New are settings for each tower to specify what targets to take.

Near is the creep closest. However, a tower retains current targets until the creep is dead or out of range.

Far is the creep that is in range, but is farthest down the track. It actually tracks by age, so a creep coming around a second time will be favoured.

Weak and strong target based on the creeps health.

New is the creep that has the youngest age(last to spawn) in range.

Hints
-----

On nebulous level:

Select a red tower. Leave the target setting at 'near'. Trace back 6 steps from the exit point. Place your red tower there. Press next wave. Immediately press upgrade as many times as you can.

Continue upgrading that tower until it is at rank 5/6. You will be able to clear the fifth wave with no problems. Leave it at rank 5 until you have cleared 6th wave. Immediately after starting wave 7, finish the upgrade(rank 6/6).

You should now have enough zap to finish waves 7, 8 and 9. Be quick and place a red tower at the beginning of wave 10. For location I would suggest right below the other tower. Might as well upgrade it fully. You should have the cash.

Alternately, you can place a charge tower. But dont upgrade so quickly.

This will give you lots of power to finish to wave 20 or so.

My reasoning for the locations for the first two towers is thus: they cover a good deal of the path(though not the most at first), and when creeps are past them, near is also equal to far(target the farthest/oldest creep along the path).  

For a second tower you can also place a blue laser(eschew upgrades for a bit). They will work well nearer to the top(or center) because their secondary blast can exceed the towers range.
Reply #19 - Apr 13th, 2009, 2:28pm

Great game.. However, a few bugs that makes it a game i'm not going to play more than the 3 hours we've been sitting with it.

1. Fullscreen mode messed up a whole lot of things.
   Some characters were replaced by white blocks. Couldn't make out the prices etc.
   Some of the towers were scaled 3 times, and rotating, with an arrow on it instead (totally weird)
2. It just simply crashed 4 times. Each on different waves. And no apparent common issue.
2 of the times, we were past wave 25, which makes it annoying to start over..

The music is still playing.. i just can't select anything, or play the next wave..

Other than that, it's an awesome game! Played for a few hours now, like i said, and we loved it Smiley
Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2009, 4:31pm

I ran into the full screen issue as well, but noticed that it does have a disclaimer about the full screen and how to (and how not to) enable it.  It states that if you go full screen during play, or switch in / out, it will mess it up.  You have to do it at the menu.  Didn't have any crashes...
Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:33am

you should give a credit .This game idea is from a map at starcraft and warcraft games.Original name is tower defence.
Reply #22 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 4:03pm

For some reason, no matter what I do, it crashes on level 2, towards the end. BTW, I'm running Mac OS 10.5.6 with the executable
Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2009, 1:44am

wow, that was quite awesome.

just got to about level 13 before I got demolished, lol.

very nice work. Grin
Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2009, 3:03pm

mauhdib wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:33am:
you should give a credit .This game idea is from a map at starcraft and warcraft games.Original name is tower defence.

Tower defense is its own genre now, it really has nothing to do with blizzard's games. There are hundreds of td games expanding far beyond those. This game is based far more heavily on Vector TD by Dave Scott than anything else (I've never even played warcraft, and just played starcraft for the first time two weeks ago.)

Interesting that you see it as only an extension of a mod.....

The time scales for things have changed dramatically from the past. An entity on the net can get a decade worth of past evolution in just a few months.

Sorry bout the issues, blarg, but since i don't have a mac, i rely on others to test that platform - so far you're the first one who's had such a problem that i know of. Interesting that its level 2....nothing special about it, not a boss round or anything....
Reply #25 - Jul 24th, 2009, 12:59am

DST has swapped to linux, redesigned the web page and the in browser version now works for me. It should work for you too. Can someone using OSX comfirm?
Reply #26 - Jul 24th, 2009, 4:26am

Tested the applet on MacOSX using Firefox and it worked great. Smiley
Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2009, 4:42pm

Thanks jeffg. I'll pass the word on.
Reply #28 - Jul 28th, 2009, 4:07pm

jeffg wrote on Apr 12th, 2009, 4:43pm:
I don't see anything in the game the explains the close, far, weak, strong, & new.  You mention changing a tower to far, but what does that do.  What is the difference between them  I'm also trying to understand what the "interest" thing is...

I got to wave 37... lives went to 9999 and the creeps never seem to die. After a good 30min or so, all the lives are used... game over.  ?  

Very very same here, plus: the "charge ray" is too strong!
Reply #29 - Jul 29th, 2009, 5:41am

Excellent game! Had a lot of fun with it , so good job! Smiley
Pages: 1 2