We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Target Defense: Laser Syndrome
Pages: 1 2 
Target Defense: Laser Syndrome (Read 7244 times)
Target Defense: Laser Syndrome
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:22pm

A new tower defense game made with processing which features more intense graphics than traditional td games.

This game is complete, including bugfixes, and win/lose endings. Enjoy!

http://www.targetdefense.com

Uses the OPENGL renderer,
the Minim Sound libraries,
and the exe version uses the Fullscreen library by Hansi.

I started using Processing 3 months ago. Before that, my only programming knowledge was a minimal bit of c experience. I'd say this is a pretty good benchmark of how easy Processing is to use.

Thanks!

Re: Target Defense: Laser Syndrome
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2009, 12:53am

Nice, even if wave 37 take ages to go through... I don't even know if I'll not have to close the game before it's finished Wink

I'm also trying myself at personnal games with processing and it's great to be able to focus on everything but building an engine !
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2009, 6:25am

Very cool!  How did you get the lines to glow like that?  Nice

I didn't get to play it, it wouldn't load for me.  It said that "This browser does not have a Java Plug-in."  No sure why, since I do have it as far as I know.  Running Firefox 3.0.8 on Mac OSX 10.5.6.
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2009, 7:48am

There is a link to the executable version at the bottom of the page.
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2009, 7:52am

On a Mac
I would like to know how you got the glowing line effect if you're willing to share. Smiley
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2009, 9:24am

I'll tell his secrets and bug him to make an OS X version.

The lines were draw as thick lines with progressively thinner lines on top.

I'm pretty proud of my buddy who has come a long way in his programming. He's an incredibly talented artist too..

I think he timed this to commemorate his birthday, and as soon as he tells me his age, I'll tell him to start acting like it.
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2009, 1:34pm

As per Mr. Ogre's suggestion, I have added Osx and Linux versions to the main page.

They are at the bottom of the page.

I have also added some fixes to the radiation towers, and a few other miscellaneous speed-ups.

Can someone tell me, about applets, i thought they were universal? Are applets windows only??

Enjoy!
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2009, 1:42pm

Oh, and about the glowing effect.....lasers are made with 3 lines, as Ogre stated, but the glows are .png files (simple soft brush dabs with photoshop).

There are colored versions (red has yellow center, blue has white center etc) and then there are white only versions, which are tinted to match the current color of the link lasers.

The link lasers draw the 64x64 glow graphics with a size multiplier based on the size of the laser (# of towers linking to it).

One thing about the glow is that the outer section is very transparent; as a 64x64 png, only the center 24x24 pixels appear to have anything in them; the rest is about a <5% alpha. Of course, this creates an illusion of ambient light as the alpha stacks up where lasers converge on an enemy.

Try making a level of only green lasers and you can get a good alien lighting effect on it....
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2009, 2:13pm

Applets should work for everyone.  I've not had one that didn't work, but I think your site is doing a "java check" before loading the applet, and in this case it is incorrectly identifying my system as not having a current version of java.  It states  "This browser does not have a Java Plug-in.", which is wrong.  So I don't think I'm getting to the point where it actually tries to load the applet.
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2009, 2:41pm

I don't know why that would be, the container in the page is the original container from the index.html that's created when i press export.

But i've had a couple testers on windows who also couldn't pass the java check, more often in firefox (the game performs rather poorly in firefox when it does work too).

That's why my personal quote is:

"It's always something."
Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2009, 2:52pm

Ya, I'm running Firefox.  I downloaded the mac version and plan to give it a play this weekend. Smiley
Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2009, 6:07pm

This is inspiring to see quality work with high framerate like this.

Thanks!
Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2009, 8:49pm

I think its the opengl. I had a small test app on his web site and it worked fine. Mine did not make use of openGL, whereas Target Defense does.

I have openGL, as do all of us, or we couldnt run the executable apps. So that tells me that its something to do with java or just processing and web based apps.
Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2009, 1:49am

Why do I suck so bad at this?

I can't seem to get past the first ten levels or so.

Any help / way to make it easier?
Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2009, 4:37am

Make red laser towers and upgrade them. 5 red lasers with only a couple above green stage can handle wave 10.

Once you can beat a couple rounds with your towers, then save up for the charge laser.

Also make use of the targeting modes; putting upgraded lasers in the center, set to 'far' mode will be much more effective than if they're set to close mode.

With charge lasers, put them on strong mode, because they're high damage.

Pages: 1 2