We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 
New Forum (Read 3430 times)
New Forum
Mar 26th, 2009, 9:18am

OK, So we've finally upgraded the forum to YaBB 2+. I hope this will ease some of the problems: staying logged in, getting RSS feeds, and more glitches. Many thanks are due to Florian Jenett, our Design Director and Net Burgermeister, for converting the YaBB templates to match the Processing look and feel. There may be some bumps at the beginning of this road, please be patient and let us know here if there are problems.

Casey
Re: New Forum
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009, 11:55am

Very cool! A much asked upgrade... Smiley
I particularly appreciate the toolbar above, I was tired of typing the YaBBCode by hand. I started a Greasemonkey project to add markup on the old forum, I have now to drop it...  Cool
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009, 12:50pm

Awesome!

What I really think is needed, though, is a dedicated forum for programming newbies.  The "Syntax" forum seems to get abused for all kinds of programming questions, not just those where someone can't figure out what Processing primitives to use to achieve a desired effect.

IMHO, the selection of the forum's current set of topics _predates_ the adoption of Processing as a platform for teaching programming.  But, that is one of the main uses of Processing now; besides us art freaks, folks are using it to teach fundamental programming skills.  Yet, the forum doesn't really have a logical place for those users to ask their questions.

I'd like to see two new forum topics added: a "Programming" topic and a "Homework Help" topic.  That latter would be specifically for students who are having trouble with Processing-related classwork, and who need a helpful hint without having the forum readers do their homework for them.
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009, 1:11pm

Unfortunately threads keep getting marked as unread, even if I've read them. Sometimes reading them sticks, but some I've read many times already andthey keep coming back without anyone posting on them.
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2009, 3:51pm

Like the new options for PM that allows it to e-mail and such.

Could someone please update the redirect tied to the "Discourse" link at the top of the page?  I'm in the habit of using that to open a new window in the forum and it keeps taking me to the old one.
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2009, 4:55pm

was there a 2000 char limit before?  had to split code before i posted it. But beside that, i really like it... Smiley
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2009, 4:58pm

oh and cloisters idea is not that bad. i think another "homework/help" forum would be a good idea.

but how would Programming differ from Programs ?

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2009, 1:13am

I fear we are polluting this sticky, but since it wasn't locked...  Wink

Cedric, there were a post size limitation but I don't know what was its previous value.
I believe that very long listings should go to an appropriate place, like Pastebin (easy to copy/paste, keep formatting, syntax highlighting).

I see some issues with current forum. The white messages (in the alternating color thread) have less buttons than the dark ones: I can't quote them; if that's one of my messages, I can delete but can't modify. I can modify a message in a dark band...
Minor problems probably related to the skin, I hope they will be fixed.
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2009, 4:35am

Pastebin Smiley thanks! i was looking for this site yesterday...
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2009, 11:02pm

PhiLho  wrote on Mar 27th, 2009, 1:13am:
The white messages (in the alternating color thread) have less buttons than the dark ones: I can't quote them; if that's one of my messages, I can delete but can't modify. I can modify a message in a dark band...

Fixed.
Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2009, 11:03pm

jeffg wrote on Mar 26th, 2009, 3:51pm:
Could someone please update the redirect tied to the "Discourse" link at the top of the page

Fixed. All old links are redirected to the new forum ... you can use google search again.
Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2009, 11:04pm

Quote:
Unfortunately threads keep getting marked as unread, even if I've read them. Sometimes reading them sticks, but some I've read many times already and they keep coming back without anyone posting on them.

Have to look into that .. RSS is currently not working too.
Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2009, 12:00am

RSS is now working. If you want more than last 25 results try this:

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/action_RSSrecent_topics_100.html

F
Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2009, 2:48am

fjen wrote on Mar 27th, 2009, 11:04pm:
Quote:
Unfortunately threads keep getting marked as unread, even if I've read them. Sometimes reading them sticks, but some I've read many times already and they keep coming back without anyone posting on them.

Have to look into that .. RSS is currently not working too.

The remaining unread thing seems to have stopped happening now thankfully.
Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2009, 6:05am

super. thanks for reporting back.
Pages: 1 2