We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Question about presenting Processing at Conference
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Question about presenting Processing at Conference (Read 839 times)
Question about presenting Processing at Conference
Sep 24th, 2008, 6:21am

I am a middle school math teacher who has, as an experiment, begun integrating Processing into an advanced Algebra 1 course.  Aside from the obvious links to graphing and 'math stuff', I'm using Processing as a platform to
1) emphasize the similarities and differences between the way people think about numbers and algebra and the way computers do
2) get students thinking about logic and organized thought
3) teach computer literacy
4) integrate art and math
5) get students hooked

So far the course has been a huge success.  I have students who tell me that they go home and do two to three hours of math homework a night!

I am entertaining the idea of presenting my work with this class at a education technology conference.  I know the software itself falls under the GNU GPL, but is there a protocol, license, or manners manual  regarding presentation and/or  curriculum integration of Processing?  I don't want to step on any toes, so please let me know what's necessary to keep this kosher.  

Thanks, Processing Community, for all of the great work.

Jack
Re: Question about presenting Processing at Confer
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2008, 12:00pm

i think it's brilliant what you are doing, i hated everyday of school and couldn't wait to get home to play with graphics and games on my computer. if only something like this done when i was at school i'd be 10 years ahead in what i'm doing now!
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008, 6:09pm

jp,

please, please, please present your work at the conference! this is so exciting; please promote your work to get the word out.

casey

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008, 6:39pm

Oh man, I wish I had that class in middle school. Keep on doing what you're doing, and please spread the knowledge. I loved math in school, but didn't have a way to keep up with it once I left the classroom.
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008, 3:44am

Thank you for your support, everyone.  I am really excited about the results I've seen so far.  Granted, the children I teach are top math students, but I'm confident that this can have a bigger scope.  I am treating this as a laboratory of sorts, and as results come in, I'll make sure to keep everyone here apprised.  

It has taken a bit of salesmanship to convince parents that students are learning the algebra, just as they remember it, but are also getting an added dimension of both, paradoxically, abstraction and application--hopefully making the kids not just better students but better thinkers.  I suppose that programming in general would have served this purpose, but the graphical and interactive nature of Processing really resonates with every last one of them--particularly the girls.  My experience has been that adolescence is the time when girls' interest in math begins to wane.  It is important to me to find any technique that combats this.

Once again, thank you for the support and encouragement.
Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2008, 4:02am

Jack, I want to echo what's been said already. This is really important work! I also think it's very exciting for Processing, and I'd like to know a little more about the specifics. I've been presenting Processing to CS faculty and to a lesser degree Math folks and think there is tremendous potential here. Would you have any interest in continuing this discussion off the board? I can be reached at
ira at iragreenberg dot com

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1