We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Code and Ethics
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Code and Ethics (Read 1312 times)
Code and Ethics
Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:08pm

Not sure if this is the right topic area to post this, but here we go.

I was wanting to do some whois querying in a sketch, and not finding anything for Processing, found this http://www.skytouch.com/soft/java/whois.html which, with a little bit of tinkering, was able to get running in Processing.  

Now, I was thinking that this bit of code is kind of handy, and that I would post it to the board.  But, for the most part, it's the other guy's code, with some slight alterations by yours truly.  It's released under a GNU license, so I am thinking that it's ok, but I wanted to see what the community thought.  

This is my first time dealing with this sort of issue, so I wanted to see what the protocol for this is.  My inclination is to post it with credit and under the GNU license (since that's what it was originally), but I am not sure about the ethics of this, and how much change to code warrants credit, and so on and so forth.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Code and Ethics
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:18pm

If you actually read the license that comes with the code you downloaded, it does tell you what's required.. and basically it boils down to is (I think)

If you've taken their code, and edited it a bit, then you have to release under the GPL, and include notice of where you got the code originally.
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:27pm

Thanks for the quick reply.  

I had read that, but since this is my first time doing this (just modifying someone else's code, and releasing it) I wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing.  To be honest, the legal speak (even though it is in pretty plain english for a legal doc) made me nervous, and I just wanted to check.

Thanks again!
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 5:28pm

This would be a great post for Hacks. Please add it.
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:34pm

Will do.
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2008, 10:06am

Added it here
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1