We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Status 28 July 2008
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Status 28 July 2008 (Read 1587 times)
Status 28 July 2008
Jul 28th, 2008, 5:11pm

Some updates from the Processing Corporation's east coast tower high rise offices in Cambridge, MA.

We're working to finish Processing 1.0. The target date is this Fall, meaning August or September. We'd like to have it done as early as possible so that Fall classes can make use of it. In addition to the usual channels, we have a dozen or so people who are helping out with getting the release out the door. We'll unmask these heros at some point in the future.

I'm also pleased to announce that I'm able to focus on Processing full time this Summer with the help of a stipend provided by Oblong Industries (http://oblong.net). They're the folks behind the gesture-controlled interface you see in Minority Report. (You can find more about them with a little Google digging.) They're funding us because of their love of open source and they feel that Processing is an important project. As in, there are no strings attached to the funding, and Processing is not being re-tooled for gesture interfaces. We owe them our enormous gratitude.

The big things for 1.0 include the Tools menu, better compile/run setup (what you see in 0136+), bringing back P2D, perhaps bringing back P3D with anti-aliasing, better OpenGL support, better library support, some major bug fixes (outstanding threading problems and more).

If you have a feature or bug that you want fixed in time for 1.0, now is the time to vote by making sure that it's listed at http://dev.processing.org/bugs.

I'll try to post updates more frequently over the next few weeks.
Re: Status 28 July 2008 (OpenGL test suite?)
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2008, 9:56pm

Under the heading of "better OpenGL support" in Processing 1.0, it would help us all tremendously if there was an OpenGL test suite, or at least a few good Processing sketches we could run on our own hardware to check for bugs or performance issues.

Whenever I have used OpenGL in Processing in the past, I have often come across problems of one sort or another, including *different* display output on my different platforms: (Mac PPC workstation, Mac PPC laptop, Mac Intel laptop, along with various ATI/NVidia graphics cards, and Mac OSX 10.4 and 10.5).

I realize it is too much to expect a few Processing developers to validate the OpenGL code on a wide variety of hardware, ... and for Processing users, it is often difficult to sort out their own programming errors from genuine Processing/OpenGL bugs.  If we have some example programs that are "supposed to work", and also run through most ways where OpenGL could "break", we could make a lot of progress quickly.

There is an army of eager Processing users (including me) who would be happy to run an OpenGL test suite and document the results for the benefit of the folks working on the Processing/OpenGL support.

David Jones
Re: Status 28 July 2008
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008, 10:37pm

I'd happily use such a test suite if someone were to put it together. I already test Processing (and OpenGL) across a ridiculous number of platforms and configurations, so anything that would help out in this regard would be great.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1