We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Ubuntu Installation Guide
Pages: 1 2 3 
Ubuntu Installation Guide (Read 26372 times)
Ubuntu Installation Guide
Aug 13th, 2005, 12:19am

Written with Processing 0091 on Ubuntu 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog". This installs Java 1.5.0 but it seems to work just fine. Hope this helps someone!

(Note: Lines prefixed with a "#" have been disabled and will do nothing.)

1. Add the "hoary-extras" repository if you haven't done so already
Code:
$ sudo echo "deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-extras main universe multiverse restricted" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo apt-get update

2. Install the Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.5.0 and jikes compiler
Code:
$ # sudo apt-get sun-j2re1.5
$ sudo apt-get jikes

3. Download Processing 0091 (or latest version)
Code:
$ wget http://processing.org/download/processing-0091.tgz
$ tar -zxvf processing-0091.tgz
$ rm -f processing-0091.tgz

4. Configure Processing to use the software we just installed
Code:
$ cd processing-0091/
$ # rm -rf java/
$ rm -f jikes
$ # ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun java
$ ln -s /usr/bin/jikes jikes

5. Run Processing!
Code:
$ ./processing 

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2005, 1:58am

is the included java 1.4 broken under ubuntu? i know jikes is, though that's been fixed for rev 93: http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=47

but if java's broken too that's the first i'd heard of it. i don't want to use/support/encourage java 1.5 for the reasons outlined in the faq: http://processing.org/faq/platforms.html#java

regarding leaving out java/jikes here are the comments from the bug report that explain the rationale:

same as with building, we need to ensure a particular version of the jvm and jikes. at the minimum we need to have java 1.4 (a late version in particular because the earlier ones were buggy), and jikes 1.22.

the reason that the jvm and jikes are included is for ease of use. part of the whole concept of processing is for it to work out of the box without having to do a bunch of extra crap with downloading a jvm and whatnot.

edit - sorry, i forgot to say "thanks for posting the info" we no doubt need this for some situations, so it's very helpful to have it. perhaps it's additional info that we can use for the faq or include something like it with the linux release so that people can refer to it when they're having trouble on their own *nix flavor.
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2005, 2:26am

I just checked with the included version and it seems to work fine, so I guess those steps aren't necessary. I'll update the above.
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2006, 11:12pm

rgovostes wrote on Aug 13th, 2005, 12:19am:
Written with Processing 0091 on Ubuntu 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog". This installs Java 1.5.0 but it seems to work just fine. Hope this helps someone!

(Note: Lines prefixed with a "#" have been disabled and will do nothing.)

1. Add the "hoary-extras" repository if you haven't done so already
Code:
$ sudo echo "deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-extras main universe multiverse restricted" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo apt-get update

2. Install the Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.5.0 and jikes compiler
Code:
$ # sudo apt-get sun-j2re1.5
$ sudo apt-get jikes

3. Download Processing 0091 (or latest version)
Code:
$ wget http://processing.org/download/processing-0091.tgz
$ tar -zxvf processing-0091.tgz
$ rm -f processing-0091.tgz

4. Configure Processing to use the software we just installed
Code:
$ cd processing-0091/
$ # rm -rf java/
$ rm -f jikes
$ # ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun java
$ ln -s /usr/bin/jikes jikes

5. Run Processing!
Code:
$ ./processing 

still working with dapper and processing 0115! Smiley

just installed jikes and needed to change the java link only in:
Code:
$ ln -s /usr/lib/java java 

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2006, 3:50am

Good to hear!

If you're using Dapper, though, you shouldn't be using the hoary-extras repository. Probably should replace that with "dapper-extras" but I'm not sure. I no longer have an Ubuntu system.
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2006, 11:56pm

In case anyone else comes here feeling nervous about installing Processing for Ubuntu, this is just to say that most of the guide now seems to be unnecessary - I didn't add the repository mentioned because it wouldn't let me (I am a big Linux noob, y'see), I just downloaded and unpacked the Processing package (following the instructions here, although it might have been even easier to go to the Download page and double-click the file downloaded?) then ran it, and ta-da! Processing ahoy.

That was a relief.
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2006, 1:55pm

hi i'm new both to processing and to ubuntu but i've decided to run them both on my home pc. I downloaded the latest processing release, extracted and ran it. at first I thought everything was going fine and began making my way through some tutorials. then i noticed that i can't change the background color setting in processing. for example, if I wanted the background to become black the code should be:

background(0);

but this doesn't work... i searched the forums to see if anyone has this problem but couldn't find anything like it. Can someone help me out?
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2006, 10:51pm

@rosca: please use this thread for the initial topic only. If you have a problem which isn't already discussed, you may start a new topic in a new thread Smiley

@oolong: unfortunately it doesn't work for me on Dapper. I get the long error text which is found in the shell script. I tried it with the condition and the else statement removed, and it said: "processing: line 32: java/bin/java: Permission denied" (I also tried with sudo -> same)

Maybe this helps in bugtracking... Sad
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2006, 8:07am

In response to rosca

I had the same issue, was able to solve it by doing

cd processing-0123/
rm -rf java/
ln -s /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun java

(the steps removed from the original post, I guess they need to be put back Smiley

works sweet now.

(of course you will need to install java run time if you havent already)

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2007, 3:45pm

I haven't been able to get this to work at all with Dapper Drake. Sad

If I try to run it from the Terminal, I get this:
Code:

./processing
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(libgcj.so.7)
at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:126)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:101)
./processing: line 61: 12230 Segmentation fault java processing.app.Base

...any ideas? Sad
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2007, 3:50pm

are you using java 1.5? you might try using that. the gtklookandfeel appeared in 1.4.2, but from a little googling, appears to have been broken slightly on linux, but is fixed in java 1.5.
Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:31pm

I seem to be on jre1.5.0._10, so I guess that would be a yes. :/
Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:09am

I really should have said this before, currently after it gets past Code:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(libgcj.so.7)
at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:126)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:101)

it pops up a Java-styled 'Open' dialogue box. I don't know what it wants to open! I've tried a couple of directories under Java without success though.
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:11am

weird.. oh well, i'll try to make it default out to the other look and feel if that's not available (for 0124). however, the app should be running just fine in spite of this--the error message might show, but it should continue just fine.

the seg fault is more of a problem--perhaps your java install is hosed?
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:26am

It wouldn't surprise me, I may have installed several different Java things in my efforts to get it working in Firefox, and in the vague hopes of getting Processing working. Hrmph. I think it only started doing the Open dialogue thing after I installed Eclipse, for what that's worth (though I can't swear it was Eclipse that made the difference). It gave me a different error message before that, which I'm afraid I didn't note down.

Would it be terribly difficult to get Processing into a repository so that we can just use the Add/Remove Applications thing, or at least Synaptic Package Manager, to install it? I'm thinking this could probably make things much, much easier for the masses of people who are either quite new to Linux, or just aren't much into messing about with the command line at length (and thanks mainly to Ubuntu there are lots of the latter around these days).
Pages: 1 2 3