We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Ubuntu Installation Guide
Pages: 1 2 3 
Ubuntu Installation Guide (Read 26370 times)
Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 1:37am

nothing is terribly difficult, except getting time to do it.
Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:34pm

Fair enough.

*looks into figuring out if this is something he could do himself if he ever gets it working locally*

Interestingly enough, I've just re-installed various Java-related things and possibly removed one or two packages, which has removed the Open dialogue, and changed my error messages to look more like they did before:
Code:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
at java.lang.VMClassLoader.loadClass (VMClassLoader.java:173)
at java.lang.Class.forName (Class.java:343)
at java.lang.Class.forName (Class.java:257)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel (UIManager.java:451)
at processing.app.Base.Base (Base.java:126)
at processing.app.Base.main (Base.java:101)
at java.lang.VirtualMachine.invokeMain (VirtualMachine.java)
at java.lang.VirtualMachine.main (VirtualMachine.java:108)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
at java.lang.VMClassLoader.nativeLoadClass (VMClassLoader.java)
at java.lang.VMClassLoader.loadClass (VMClassLoader.java:169)
...7 more

...which is perhaps progress of a sort, I always take it as a good thing when I am at least able to substitute one set on incomprehensible error messages for another.

I guess I'll try removing a few things next.

Thanks for your efforts!
Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 2:41pm

do any java applications run properly?

basically, it should print that message and continue if the GTK L&F isn't available. i tested it here with a fake L&F and it printed the stack trace that looked like that but moved on and fired up the environment.

i would suspect that either java's not running at all (that it crashes after this, the way it was segfaulting before) or that perhaps you have a large sketchbook folder that's taking it a while to load up? for instance, if you set your sketchbook folder to be your entire home directory, it's gonna be scanning the whole thing for sketches...

you might also remove .processing/preferences.txt and try again.
Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 6:50pm

Good question! I checked and found that indeed I couldn't run any Java applications. I also noticed that it was trying to use java-sablevm to run them (could there be some kind of conflict there?).

I uninstalled Eclipse (which I noticed was also broken, and which I pretty much hate anyway) and everything that seemed to be related to sablevm, and TADA! Processing now runs. Joy!

Thanks a lot for your help, very much appreciated.

(for what it's worth, there was no .processing/preferences.txt - I guess that Open dialogue box was probably for me to choose where my sketchbook folder would be, right?)
Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:43am

Just my experience running on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbons i386 for the archives.

Downloaded Processing 0135
Opened a terminal window, navigated to downloaded tgz file

$ gunzip processing-0135.tgz
$ tar -xvf processing-0135.tar
$ cd  processing-0135
$ ./processing

Error message "It appears that the version of Jikes distributed with Processing cannot properly run on this system...."

OK, good enough.

Searched Package Manager for "Jikes" - downloaded & installed.

$ which jikes     # note path - in my case /usr/bin/jikes
$ mv jikes jikes_original     # backup jikes that came in processing tgz
$ ln -s /usr/bin/jikes jikes    # symbolic link to new jikes
$ ./processing

Receive message "/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:42: error: lexical error or unexpected token, expected valid token" but processing window still opens up.  Something to look into but I think it's specific to my install/UI customizations.

Run a couple of the examples from Files>Examples>Basics & OpenGL - looks good.

I'll dig in more later but the only thing I really had to in 7.10 w/ processing 0135 was download a new version of jikes, rename the old one (or remove if your're more adventerous) and create a shortcut to the new jikes in the processing directory.

Nothing too terrifying.

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2007, 2:25pm

This is just to record that I had no problems at all installing Processing in Ubuntu 7.10. Literally just downloaded it, extracted it to a directory and ran it.

My only sticking point was not being sure which directory to put it in. I feel like it should probably be in 'bin', but I don't know how to put it there without looking up the command line utilities to do it with sudo. Hm. Anyway - I still look forward to it being added to a repository! Smiley
Reply #21 - Dec 28th, 2007, 5:05am

Hello,
I have installed processing on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbons i386.
As with Oolong it seem to work fine out of the box, but it keep throwing up this error, even in apps with minimal code, it is causing processing to crash on larger apps.
I tried changing jikes following the instruction in this thread.

i also tried changing the java package [from 1.5 to 1.4 ] but the error still persists.

Can anyone shed any light to what my problem may be ?
Am i right in thinkin that this is a problem with the processing GUI, as it is triggered when i press the stop button ?

thanks in advance.

[k]

[ also is  advised to use java 1.5?  ]

Quote:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException

at processing.app.Editor.handleStop(Editor.java:1196)

at processing.app.EditorToolbar.mousePressed(EditorToolbar.java:320)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Reply #22 - May 6th, 2008, 2:05pm

I had problems in Ubuntu Hardy Heron, it just wouldn't start. So i followed the suggested procedure and removed the given version of jikes/java and linked Processing to what was given in Ubuntu. I actually managed to get it running BUT...none of the sketches run, and they give the same error:

/tmp/build25335.tmp/Temporary_5575_6919.java:1:621:1:639: Semantic Error: The class file "File.class" in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar/java/io" has an invalid format (duplicate local variable type table).

Is that because I have Java RE 6 installed? And I linked Processing through 5?

Kindly advise...
Reply #23 - May 11th, 2008, 11:14am

I'd really appreciate some help here. I was using Processing easily in Ubuntu Gutsy, but I've spent a few days with no luck on Hardy. I have installed Java 1.4 from Sun, and Jikes from the Ubuntu repository. After removing the original files that came with the package, I made a link to jikes in /usr/bin and linked 'java' to j2re in /usr/lib.

Now, although the Processing IDE starts up, and I run any sketch, even a blank one, I get the following error:

---------------------------------------
/tmp/build34855.tmp/Temporary_8570_9997.java:1:621:1:639: Semantic Error: The class file "Class.class" in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar/java/lang" has an invalid format (duplicate local variable type table).

/tmp/build34855.tmp/Temporary_8570_9997.java:1:621:1:639: Semantic Error: The class file "Font.class" in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar/java/awt" has an invalid format (duplicate local variable type table).

/tmp/build34855.tmp/Temporary_8570_9997.java:1:621:1:639: Semantic Error: The class file "Window.class" in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar/java/awt" has an invalid format (duplicate local variable type table).

/tmp/build34855.tmp/Temporary_8570_9997.java:1:621:1:639: Semantic Error: The class file "MenuItem.class" in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar/java/awt" has an invalid format (duplicate local variable type table).

/tmp/build34855.tmp/Temporary_8570_9997.java:1:621:1:639: Semantic Error: The class file "File.class" in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar/java/io" has an invalid format (duplicate local variable type table).

/tmp/build34855.tmp/Temporary_8570_9997.java:2:39:2:44: Semantic Error: The class file "Enum.class" in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar/java/lang" has an invalid format (duplicate local variable type table).

-----------------------------------------------------

Can anybody help with a solution, or at least point to the problem? I'll be greatly obliged..

- 1/f

Reply #24 - May 11th, 2008, 12:49pm

Some more details:

As one can see, Processing is trying to use OpenJDK instead of the J2re I have created the 'Java' link to...I wonder why?
I checked the properties of the 'Java' link and it says 'broken link', but the pointer is to the correct j2re forder in /usr/lib.

How can i fix this? Thanks..
Reply #25 - Jun 21st, 2008, 11:16pm

Hi people,

I have Processing running on the 64-bit version of Hardy 8.04. I simply downloaded and unpacked everything and it appeared to run fine - until I tried creating a class, at which point I get a non-fatal assert at the start of each run.

I'm new to processing and linux, so it's quite possible I've done something silly. The assert doesn't appear to have any nasty side effects - at least nothing I've found yet.

This is the code I'm trying to run:

class Test
{
}

void setup()
{
 Test t = new Test();
}

and the assert I get is this:

----
Locking assertion failure.  Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib32/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xf7654767]
#1 /usr/lib32/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xf76548b1]
#2 /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0xfd) [0xe826c1bd]
#3 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xe8363d7e]
#4 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xe834dd47]
#5 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xe834dec3]
#6 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so(Java_sun_awt_X11Gr
aphicsEnvironment_initDisplay+0x26) [0xe834e106]
#7 [0xf2a84bfa]
#8 [0xf2a7eb3b]
#9 [0xf2a7eb3b]
#10 [0xf2a7c219]
#11 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xf780a19c]
#12 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xf791eb38]
#13 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xf7809fcf]
#14 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so(JVM_DoPrivileged+
0x32d) [0xf7867a7d]
#15 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/libjava.so(Java_java_security_Acce
ssController_doPrivileged__Ljava_security_PrivilegedAction_2+0x3d) [0xf760c30d]
#16 [0xf2a844ab]
#17 [0xf2a7ea64]
#18 [0xf2a7c219]
#19 /self-installed/processing-0135/java/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xf780a19c]
----

Anyone have any ideas, or suggestions of what I should do with this?

Cheers,

Sam
Reply #26 - Jun 22nd, 2008, 3:00pm

this seems to be a somewhat common ubuntu problem:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Integrate;action=display;num=1210090458
Reply #27 - Jun 22nd, 2008, 8:00pm

Cheers.

Ok, as I noted in the other thread, this is a pretty rubbishy workaround, but it may be worth a try for a few people. It appears to fine for most examples, but the opengl examples don't work. It's possible some other libraries may also not work. If it doesn't, you can just delete your processing-0135 directory and re-install.

Run the usual commands to unpack the download, and change directory into it:
$ tar -xvzf processing-0135.tgz
$ cd  processing-0135
$ ./processing

Now rename the java runtime that comes with Processing to something else, as we are going to link it to a later version
$ mv java java.backup

Ensure you have the latest Sun java6 installed.
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

And create a symbolic link from this install to processing/java:
$ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/ java

I didn't have any issues with jikes, so I've skipped that aspect of the install to try and keep the interdependencies down. I did uninstall OpenJDK though as it was causing similar issues with other apps (glxgears), but that may be unrelated to processing.

Cheers,
Sam
Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2008, 9:56am

Processing works very well on Linux Mint, without any need for special configuration.
Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2010, 6:50pm

Hello ALL,

I managed to  run processing by copying and pasting the script found in the processing -1.1 in my home directory.  I then ran this:

Quote:
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/ java
in order to create a symbolic link, and got no errors.  All I am asking is whether or not there is a way to launch the software in Ubuntu 9.10 by simply double clicking on a GUI icon similarly to the way we launch it in a Mac and Windows environment.  If someone can give me so detailed instructions that would be great.  Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Best Regards,

Nevins
Pages: 1 2 3