We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › rgb petri
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
rgb petri (Read 1434 times)
rgb petri
Jan 1st, 2008, 1:49am

http://jeremyawon.info/rgbp/

each perimeter pixel copies itself outward, with mutating color.

you can affect where the pixels grow by left click+holding - it looks a bit like adding antibiotic to a petri dish.

to adjust the radius of the field affecting pixel growth, right click+hold and make circular motions.

this url parameterizes the applet (to decrease growth, for example):

http://jeremyawon.info/rgbp/index.php?mmin=-4&mmax=5&a=0.4&limit=4000&growth=0.01

mmin/mmax = mutation range
a = fall off of field
limit = maximum number of pixels to copy outward per frame
growth = portion of perimeter to copy outward per frame
Re: rgb petri
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2008, 4:55am

Very good. Looks like a water colour.

Do you have source code to share or is this proprietry?
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2008, 3:33pm

yep! very nice... looks like lava too Wink
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:59pm

st33d:
i should clean up the source and share it, but as much as i like the effect im not convinced the implementation is as elegant as it should be Tongue
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2008, 5:16pm

yeah this is a neat one, source would be nice to have.  I promise not to make fun !
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2008, 12:06am

Jeremy, hope you don't mind but I liked this trick so much I wrote a version myself to experiment with. You can see my version here. I've been trying to come up with a way to apply this to an existing image, as a "painterly" effect. There's some in-progress results further down the page.
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2008, 8:45pm

Jeremy, nice one! That's what I love about generative graphics; a simple idea that produces beautiful complex output.

Andy, I like your version of the painterly effect on the image. One thing: the webpage produces a "Loading Java Applet Failed..." with me (the source works fine in Processing).

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2008, 1:10am

dek: That's odd, it works on all the machines I have here. In any event, I've cleaned up the source a bit and re-exported, so perhaps it will be better behaved. I'm going to try adding bump-mapping, to see if I can get an impasto effect.
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2008, 2:26am

My bad, I just checked  with Firefox and Camino and the sketch works flawlessly. Seems to be something with Safari (OS X Leopard).
I very rarely encounter a sketch not loading in Safari, not nearly often enough to recognize a pattern. So I can't say if it's a general Safari bug with a certain code or just my copy that's got a hiccup. Anyways, the fault's not yours...
Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2008, 11:48am

andyclifton: the soft effect of averaging+mutation looks great! and thanks for sharing your source. seeing someone else's implementation is interesting. my source is also up now (a mess - sorry).

i track the perimeter so that it doesn't have to iterate over the entire grid each step. this should allow the applet to scale for a larger area - an idea i'd like to try is running this on one of those ftir multi-touch screens, with any screen contact having the same effect as left click+hold. projectors are so expensive though :\
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2008, 11:29pm

Lovely!
It really has the feel of an abstract watercolour painting.  Beautiful effect.
I'd love to see a second mutation blend in on top of the first one - constantly changing generative artwork.
Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2008, 6:31pm

this is a nearly perfect simulation of crystal growth experiments that I did using Napthalene (like moth balls) grown between plates of glass, and observed under cross-polarizers under the microscope. Wow.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1