We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › Video Library, Mac OS 10.4.10 and Higoto Simple Ca
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Video Library, Mac OS 10.4.10 and Higoto Simple Ca (Read 1218 times)
Video Library, Mac OS 10.4.10 and Higoto Simple Ca
Nov 20th, 2007, 6:36pm

Hi guys,

first of all i am sorry to bring up that stupid topic again, but i am totaly going nuts on this.
I was using video library on Macbook pro with OS 10.4.11 and its ISight and it worked perfectly. Now i am working on a mac mini intel with OS 10.4.10 and a USB Higoto Simplecam. I installed Java 5, Quicktime 7, Higoto Driver, restarted over and over but still this message apears:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find any capture devices, read the video reference for more info.
at processing.video.Capture.list(Capture.java:515)
at Temporary_2767_1902.setup(Temporary_2767_1902.java:5)

java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find any capture devices, read the video reference for more info.
at Temporary_2767_1902.setup(Temporary_2767_1902.java:5)
at processing.core.PApplet.handleDisplay(PApplet.java:1388)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:690)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1560)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

When starting the Webcam-Monitor or Skype the Webcam delivers pictures, so it works, but why doesn't in Processing?
Please give me some answers!!!!!!

Best regards!
Re: Video Library, Mac OS 10.4.10 and Higoto Simpl
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2007, 7:26pm

does this list the cam?
println( Capture.list() );

see:
http://processing.org/reference/libraries/video/Capture_list_.html

F
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2007, 8:23pm

thanks, but it doesn't even come that far, when i only do this:

import processing.video.*;

void setup() {
 size(200, 200);
 print(Capture.list());
}

it says this:

ava.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find any capture devices, read the video reference for more info.
at Temporary_8575_3109.setup(Temporary_8575_3109.java:5)

at Temporary_8575_3109.setup(Temporary_8575_3109.java:5)

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2007, 10:10pm

Could it be, that this cam is working with IChat and its Webcam-Monitor but not accesable from Processing/Java. Since it also does not apear in Skype as well.

Webcams and Apple Macintosh seems to be huge pile of shit. The Isight is probably the only cam working seemless. Or is there another working fine with processing on mac?
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2007, 12:17am

It seems that the Higoto Simple Cam definitly not works with processing on Mac OS 10.4.11
But i really need a (usb) cam to use with the video-library and blob detection. does someone know which camera surely works? best would be 800x600 resolution.
Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2007, 9:06am

and please don't double post:

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Video;action=display;num=1195607726;start=0#2

F
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2007, 12:53pm

i am sorry, but i hav a huge shortage of time, because i need the cam for a exhibition.
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2007, 2:13pm

Quote:
i am sorry, but i hav a huge shortage of time, because i need the cam for a exhibition.

i'm sorry, but that's rude. you're telling people that are helping you that your time is more important than theirs.

and in fact it's a triple post. double post again and i'll kick you off the board.
Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:20am

i guess you got me wrong, i just wanted to know from someone who has it working, what cam he is using. That doesn't take too much time, does it?
Otherwise i have to buy different cameras to see, which works fine, which takes a lot of time, but i am willing to do so, if its not possible to find out. I never mentioned that everybodys time is less valuable then mine.

So i am just asking for a couple of answers, which i would give as well, if i would be able to do so. i thought that is, what a board is there for, if not, i am willing to leave by myself.
Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 2:17am

hi julius,
i dont have a usbcam handy here, i usually go with a firewire cam. so with a search on this forum the following information might be useful for you, even with the higoto cam you are using.
UVC compliant cam
finding webcams for osx has already been difficult for longer as some posts on the forum reveal. my suggestion here can only be to try one logitech cam from the macam list, posted earlier in another thread regarding the cam you are using.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1