We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Slight delay in changing pitch in Minim
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Slight delay in changing pitch in Minim (Read 1238 times)
Slight delay in changing pitch in Minim
Jul 10th, 2007, 5:30pm

Hi,
I was making a musical toy using ddf's Minim library, that basically generated a tone based on mouse position, etc.

I've noticed that with the portamento on any value greater than ~40 there is a noticeable delay whilst changing pitch (and gain), and anything under than (or with no portamento on) the sound seems jerky.

Is there any way to get around this? Do other audio libraries have this program? Am I just being plain stupid?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Slight delay in changing pitch in Minim
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2007, 3:39am

Dunno, even with a portamento value of 200 the pitch change seems pretty short to me. I mean, the whole point of portamento is to smoothly change from one pitch to the next, so of course if you use large numbers it is not going to get there right away.

Can you post a link to an online version of your sketch?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1