We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › webcam crashes the whole system in a brutal way
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
webcam crashes the whole system in a brutal way (Read 1876 times)
webcam crashes the whole system in a brutal way
Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:58am

Hi,

I was wondering if someone else also had the problem that the whole system (windows) crashes in a very brutal way (bluescreen with error messages which is not readable because it reboots just after that) while starting an app using the jmyron lib. The system crashes on the beginning while the webcam is being initialized. It also crashes if I run the reactivision sotware, therefore it is not a jmyron problem I guess. The webcam I use is a logitech messenger one. Maybe some of you know where the problem could be, thanks in advance

dd
Re: webcam crashes the whole system in a brutal wa
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2007, 3:57pm

hi dd and everyone else,

I experienced the same problem using a Logitech Quickcam Chat on windows xp with processing rev 0124 and 0115 and jmyron library rev 0024 and 0025.

But the webcam works fine with just about any other application including normal Processing Capture and Toxi's LibCV library..

Unfortunately I have no idea as to how this problem could be solved. Hope this information helps anyone, who might think they know what could be done.

Ole
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2007, 10:46pm

Hey guys.  I had the same problem with a logitech camera on my Dell 1505.

It is caused by an incompatibility with the sound coming in the camera, and the system sound drivers.  When I disable all the sound functionality of the camera, it stopped the problem.  Maybe that will help you too.
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2007, 6:16am

Hi there,

I have the same problem (XP, processing 0124, jmyron 0025) with my logitech quickcam. How do I disable the sound? I have tried deselecting the camera microphone in control panel and in the quickcam software, but am still getting the blue screen when I try to run jmyron ...

Cheers,

Ed

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2007, 5:54am

I have just come across this problem as well. I'm running Processing 0135 on OSX (Leopard) and using a "Logitech Communicate STX (B) Plus?" (as listed by Capture.list()).

While the input from the camera is being displayed on the screen, I get memory leak warnings followd by a lot of thread lock warnings. Then the whole system becomes unresponsive (even as I terminate processing).

The weird thing is that I remember using this same camera in previous releases of Processing (running on Tiger though) and it didn't behave this way.

Update: the behavior is the same for simple processing capture sketches using that camera, jmyron, and openCV give me the same.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1