We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
faster Movie class (Read 33656 times)
Re: faster Movie class
Reply #30 - Jan 11th, 2008, 6:22pm

Hi,

First: you don't call methods there. YOu need to write: fm.stop() (not the brackets), otherwise you have a statement with the value of the method, but no effect.

Second: Java is garbage collected, so you are really not supposed to free things directly. Java will do this at periodic intervals. But you should really not rely on those things. I think you can force the GC to sweep _now_, but for that please dig into the java docs yourself, I am not a java coder by nature...i.e. I don't really like it as much, just sometimes find myself having to use it.
Reply #31 - Jan 29th, 2008, 3:20pm

how can I loop my movie continuesly? it shows only one time
Reply #32 - Jan 29th, 2008, 9:05pm

You _should_ be able to loop by saying movie.loop() (where movie is a FasterMovie instance). Looking at the code I se that the same should actually happen when you say movie.start(), so it looks like a bug. What system/processing version are you using? What kind of movie do you have? can you send me the movie so I can try it out? Did you try different movies?

Best

Daniel
Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2008, 10:12pm

Hm... always after a while playing with fm.speed() there comes a:

Invalid memory access of location 88bae00a eip=98784664

It would be so nice if this could work more stable, or is it just a quicktime bug?
It would be also very nice to jump to a specific frame

greetings ascorbin
Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2008, 10:15pm

For another project I want to play different HD-Videos with 1920x1080px. Faster Movie sadly is too slow for this. Cant anyone try to import FFMPEG or VLC for PROCESSING, this would be it!

greetings ascorbin
Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2008, 10:33pm

hi

Hmm, I am not sure about that memory bug. Quicktime spawns at least one thread of it's own, and it is possible, that we would need to be careful there somehow, but how exactly I am not sure.

The large movie thing, yes, that was the reason why I myself abandoned FM myself and went for pure java. Currently I think the movie data gets copied twice. It is possible to reduce out one of these by rendering directly to processing, but I think there would still be another copy. Still, it might help you. In theory it should work if you give a true as third argument to the constructor. But your processing stage needs to be the same size as the movie. And probably you have little chance of drawing anything else in that mode. You could also try with different renderers for processing. Try opengl for example, that might speed things up. Also different renderers might have different speeds on different platforms.

After all, qt for java is in a bad state. It doesn't seem to receive much love from apple (much like java in general). Even when I ditched processing I had to do experimentation to find a way to get it going. There are at least 3 sane ways to render the movie in java, and each works best on different platforms Sad.

Indeed, vlc or ffmpeg could help. I would go for the former, as it encompasses ffmpeg, and there is a java vlc on videolan.org, loking official. I might have a look at it Smiley.

Oh, and in theory there is a jump function. Did you try it?
Reply #36 - Jan 29th, 2008, 10:41pm

Theres a jump function? Not tried, not found.

greetings ascorbin
Reply #37 - Jan 30th, 2008, 7:49am

Yes, just say fm.jump(t), I think it is in seconds, but I am not sure
Reply #38 - Jan 30th, 2008, 3:35pm

thank you everybody!
i got everything to work.
i reduced the moviesize by compressing it stream optimized.
the quality is not the best, but it works.

i used
jump (fm.duration())
for negative loop thing.
Reply #39 - Feb 6th, 2008, 2:32pm

On this new Windows PC with Windows XP Professional the Faster Movie class doesnt work, why? Its just doing nothing, not even an errors occurs...hm
Anyone an idea?

greetings ascorbin
Reply #40 - Feb 6th, 2008, 8:52pm

wow, that's vague...

k, so, do you have quicktime installed? did you try the same movie on another machine? is there anything in the processing console? does it work with the normal processing movie class?

best

daniel
Reply #41 - Feb 7th, 2008, 12:03am

Im using Processing 135 with Java included. Quicktime Version is 7.4. The normal movie class is running. Quiet strange! The mov is compressed with Sorenson3 600x600pixels and about 1 minute. On Macintosh the same sketch is running fine. With another old PC its also running. Hm...
Reply #42 - Feb 7th, 2008, 1:32am

Hmm. I can't really say much there. We would need something reproducible. quicktime version maybe? QTJava version? Does it eat lots of cpu or something? Try putting a printout in the fm.execute method.

I do remember though that on the related project I had a big switch into one of 3 methods to get movie data on the screen, one worked on the mac, one on windows. So in a way it was always vodoo to me Sad.
Reply #43 - Feb 7th, 2008, 3:43pm

Hm..., can you maybe post your "Windows version" somewhere? Ive tested some more PCs with the same result (no video). Maybe I can compare the versions.

greeting ascorbin
Reply #44 - Feb 7th, 2008, 4:11pm

Some PCs give me:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.security.AllPermission <all permissions> <all actions>)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at quicktime.QTCallbackManagement.registerForCallback(QTCallbackManagement.java:24)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5