We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing eclipse plugin (Read 13056 times)
processing eclipse plugin
Jun 18th, 2007, 9:47pm

hi,

just curious, are there some thoughts or some interest to create a processing eclipse plugin? since processing is already often used for advance purposes, it would be convenient to have a development environment which supports features like project management, debugging, uml etc.

dd
Re: processing eclipse plugin
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2007, 6:05am

i'd love to see one.. it'd be nice to have a good way to transition from processing into eclipse as people get more familiar with the environment.

i'm toying with the idea of an "export to eclipse" item under the tools menu, which would run produce an eclipse project folder setup (with all libraries, etc properly added and set), but a plugin that actually understood things like the separate tabs, and the preprocessor, would be fantastic.
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2007, 6:21pm

I too have been toying with this idea a while ago... I bought the Eclipse Professional Plugins & RCP book (both very good, the latter co-authored by the one of the GoF originals) and did a few of the available plugin DIY tutorials... I'd think a lot of the basics (e.g. create Processing project wizard, exporters and a basic custom perspective based on the Java one) could be done within a week (fulltime) or so.

Maybe someone could/should setup a new project for this on SF.net or GoogleCode, once it becomes usable it could be migrated to the mothership (dev.processing.org)...
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2007, 7:32pm

almost the same to me, had some experiments developing development tools during the last weeks makes me getting more and more interested in developing eclipse plugins.

i guess it would make sense to start a processing - eclipse plugin project then. start implementing the basics would be a good step, also to get familiar with the eclipse api. if there is no similar project already, i would go for a project registration on sf during the next days.

i don't have the fulltime to invest, therefore some activities will take some time, but i'll do what i can

dd

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2007, 11:26am

I also have ideas of using Processing as part of my Eclipse plugin. As part of my research, I am developing structured editor plugin and Processing is one of choices that I am researching on. Do you have any ideas how to use Processing within plugin context (not applet) of Eclipse?
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2007, 10:49pm

Is anyone still working on this?
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2008, 1:43am

give this a try (if you're using eclipse) -- needs a bit more more testing but mimics the processing export functions, handling applets & applications, with/w'out opengl -- feedback appreciated...
cheers,
-dch

http://www.rednoise.org/EclipseP5Exporter
Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2008, 12:02am

I can't thank you enough for that Eclipse export plugin. It worked like a charm and saved me a long time exporting a complex project. Cheers to you!
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2008, 10:15am

Just a thought, but it seems to me that one of the *huge* missions of processing is the packaging of the software: You download it, you open it, you program it.  Developing an eclipse plugin is awesome if you know eclipse and its features, but as far as processing goes wrt its audience, it seems like the processing editor itself needs some eclipse-like features, even if they are parred down a bit.  

What is the licensing situation with eclipse code?  Could some of the compile-time checking features of eclipse be pulled into the processing IDE?

I'd love to hear what sorts of efforts have been made or thought about regarding this...

-Abel
Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2008, 2:24pm

Incorporating more of the compile time and editing features from Eclipse into Processing is currently the goal for the 2.0 release. But it's a significant effort, and obviously a ways off. Any help we can get in that direction in the meantime is most appreciated.
Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2008, 9:54am

Hi,

there is an eclipse platform which is basicly a 'naked' eclipse.

http://www.eclipse.org/platform/

some tech docs about it:

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Whitepaper-Platform-3.1/eclipse-platform-whitepaper.pdf

it provides all core functionality like project management, debug, prespectives etc. but nothing else (no compilers etc.). this platform is mainly used to develop custom IDEs by developing the required plugin.

maybe this is also a possibility to create a PDE upon this 'naked' eclipse considering the effort of porting the eclipse functionality into the current PDE.

since the perspectives are customizable, it is possible to create the default processing perspective which could be a very simple one.

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2009, 4:55pm

dch wrote on Apr 25th, 2008, 1:43am:
give this a try (if you're using eclipse) -- needs a bit more more testing but mimics the processing export functions, handling applets & applications, with/w'out opengl -- feedback appreciated...
cheers,
-dch

http://www.rednoise.org/EclipseP5Exporter

Any chance you'd be making the source available
Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2009, 7:13pm

source is included in the download...
cheers,
-dch
Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2009, 12:35pm

That plugin sure makes it easier for an eclipse newbie like myself. Thanks so much!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1