We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 3 
quicktime 7 on pc with webcam (Read 19760 times)
quicktime 7 on pc with webcam
Nov 1st, 2005, 10:30am

So I've read all the bug reports on quicktime 7 and everything.  But I'm still having some issues with quicktime 7 i'm fighting with.  I got java running fine, (which was problematic when i tried to uninstall quicktime 7 and install 6.5, it screwed up processing so the point where it wouldn't run anything) but with a help from casey, i got it to run again on 7 but still if i input with a webcam, i get this

a pop up message saying:

0Logitech QuickCam Messenger-WDM : Problem connecting Video Output to Video Renderer

and processing saying:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at processing.core.PGraphics.image(PGraphics.java:1628)
at processing.core.PApplet.image(PApplet.java:6064)
at Temporary_7075_2084.draw(Temporary blah blah blah

any suggestions or should i just go back to 6.5?  I know the problem with the expired qtjava on the apple side but i also received the same error on the pc side.  

as for video, i checked the webcam, it works, i used windig to check the video feed, that works too.

if anyone could shed some light or just give me a nudge to give up and go back to 6.5, it would be much appreciated.

-j
Re: quicktime 7 on pc with webcam
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2005, 4:52am

I'm having the same problem. I'll let you know if and how I fix it... otherwise let me know when you find a solution!
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2005, 4:04pm

have you upgraded to winvdig 1.05? another poster seemed to say that it was the problem and that 1.01 was ok even with qt7.
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2006, 12:24am

I had the same problem after installing winvdig 1.05.

I moved back to winvdig 1.01 and everything works.

//h
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2006, 7:54am

I confirm that moving to the old version of winvdig is working. I changed my config to QT6.5 & WinVDIG 1.01.
Everything's ok.
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2006, 9:19pm

i have a similar problem with quicktime7.0.3&winvdig (qtcap version 1.0.1) on winxp sp2.

i can capture using other (directshow-based) applications, however both on qtcap and processing, i have the following error:

"0A4 Tech USB PC Camera-WDM: Problem Connecting Video Output to QuickTime"

i tried to uninstall and reinstall quicktime (just quicktime, not the whole itunes thing) but still have the same problem..

please heeelp Sad
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2006, 9:39pm

just found out that the version i installed was winvdig105 although the qtcap version was 1.0.1, after installing winvdig101.exe, the problem is resolved..:)))
Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2006, 1:06pm

i'm on 7.0.3 for quicktime right now, and i have winvdig 1.01 but it still won't work, should i roll back my quicktime?
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2006, 1:07pm

i mean, qtcap works, i cap, but i can't seem to make processing happy.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at processing.core.PGraphics.image(PGraphics.java:1421)
at processing.core.PApplet.image(PApplet.java:5984)
at Temporary_8640_5689.draw(Temporary_8640_5689.java:41)
at processing.core.PApplet.display(PApplet.java:1116)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:362)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:951)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

still throws me the same error

(sorry i haven't been talking about this post, been without internet while traveling.)
Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2006, 1:11pm

oh i'm also using the quickcam pro 4000, could be similar issue to the other guy, xp, sp2, qtjava with 7.0.3,  the message i assume he's refering to is the message i get that the video output could not connect to the video renderer, is the video output qtcap and the render processing?
Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2006, 1:17pm

another weird thing, based on my previous post, i thought, hey maybe opengl mode will work (i don't think i ever tested opengl with video so i might be repeating some really ancient post but)

here's my code

import processing.opengl.*;
import processing.video.*;

Capture camera;

void setup()
{
 size(200, 200, OPENGL);
}

void captureEvent(Capture camera)
{
camera.read();
}

void draw()
{
image(camera, 0, 0);
}

here's the error message ,it's different from the previous ones i've gotten, no pop up about connection, just....

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: strokeCap() not available with OPENGL
at processing.opengl.PGraphicsGL.requestDisplay(PGraphicsGL.java:214)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:951)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: strokeCap() not available with OPENGL
at processing.opengl.PGraphicsGL.strokeCap(PGraphicsGL.java:1481)
at processing.core.PGraphics.defaults(PGraphics.java:429)
at processing.core.PGraphics3.defaults(PGraphics3.java:448)
at processing.core.PApplet.size(PApplet.java:729)
at Temporary_5538_3687.setup(Temporary_5538_3687.java:17)
at processing.core.PApplet.display(PApplet.java:1050)
at processing.opengl.PGraphicsGL$1.display(PGraphicsGL.java:109)
at net.java.games.jogl.impl.GLDrawableHelper.display(GLDrawableHelper.java:74)
at net.java.games.jogl.GLCanvas$DisplayAction.run(GLCanvas.java:249)
at net.java.games.jogl.impl.GLContext.invokeGL(GLContext.java:294)
at net.java.games.jogl.impl.windows.WindowsOnscreenGLContext.invokeGL(WindowsOnscre
enGLContext.java:76)
at net.java.games.jogl.GLCanvas$DisplayOnEventDispatchThreadAction.run(GLCanvas.jav
a:266)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

strokecap?  no where to be seem!  could be related to the guy who had the weird strokecap problem

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=SoftwareBugs;action=display;num=1134011764;start=0#0

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2006, 12:24am

the strokeCap() thing oughta be fixed in 98 or 99 (i don't recall which).
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2006, 7:18am

interesting developments:

ok, i'm up to 99, so the strokecap is fixed, but the webcam problem still presists.

what i have found interesting is, vdig is not 100% resolved, the error i get from processing (the video renderer not communicating with the output)  is also in vidg (just not apparently first off.  if i go to video settings and change it to source, i get the same message popping up.  

http://users.design.ucla.edu/~djaiyo/p5webcamissue.jpg

any ideas? i'm gonna do a roll back to winvdig .99  i'm on 1.01 right now....  i'm close to formating the damn computer and rolling everything back a few generations...
Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:04am

just to recap, I fixed the problem and it seems my system, for some reason, capture.list() doesn't work and you can't specifically call a camera.

so if you have

video = new Capture(this, , "name of camera", video_width, video_height, 30);

and it doesn't work, try:

video = new Capture(this, video_width, video_height, 30);

instead

-jay

p.s. i was running winvdig 1.01, processing 99. windows xp, quicktime 7.0.4

good luck to ya'll
Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:39am

Hi
I am running latest xp pro, latest qt7 and couldnt get video to work in processing.
So I upgraded from vdig 1.01 to 1.05 and the video went all screwy - pixelated and split into red half and green half with warning about not connecting. So I rolled back to vdig 1.01 but the problem stayed the same.
I have tried reinstalling QT and vdig with no joy.
I use vdig+QT a lot in other apps so any help in how to fix this much appreciated.
Thanks

Update
I deleted the files vsVDIG from system32/quicktime AND program files/quicktime and deleted VSdump from system32- uninstalled vdig - reinstalled vdig 1.01 and things seem to be working now - even processing which wasnt connecting before - wtf is that all about?
Pages: 1 2 3