We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
jmEtude dropout (Read 990 times)
jmEtude dropout
Sep 1st, 2006, 8:06pm

I'm having a recurring problem with Jm-Etude when using any of the provided examples (for instance: http://jmetude.dihardja.de/example_3.html). When in Processing the synthesizer plays 14 times then drops out - no sound. When playing the applets I get at best four or five tries. Sometimes I get an error, but in most cases the library thinks its playing, and says so in the console.

I'm on a MacBook, i.e. Intel, oh and that's black of course Wink
Re: jmEtude dropout
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2006, 4:22pm

Hi,

in the examples the songs are actually not looped, the synthesizer plays the converted score only one time then stop. A problem will appear if the synthesizer is started (e.playMIDI()) inside a loop.

The reason of this behaviour is because after the call of e.playMIDI() method the score are converted into a java sequence, then the java sequencer is started to play the sequence from the beginning to the end, the sequencer can only be used again after it finish playing the sequence.

I hope this could help you a bit. If your problem is something else then maybe you can submit the code so I can take a look over it.

greets    
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2006, 6:23pm

The problem I described takes place with the online examples, and not in any code I've written myself. I've only just briefly explored your examples and I immediately ran into this problem.

In fact, the *real* thing I'm trying to do is modify a sequence while it's running. I.e. 1) create a sequence, 2) play the sequence in a loop, 3) modify the sequence while the loop is playing.

It doesn't look like this is possible with jmEtude. Am I wrong?
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2006, 8:02pm

Hi,

yes, you're right it is not possible yet to modify a looping sequence. Changes in the jmusic package itself is required to make this possible. Maybe you can tell me a bit about what you are planing to do, so I can try to implement specific features for the next release.

The tricky point is that jmusic itself is used for pure musical purposes, but in processing the library is used in a different context, it is used as a module for artistic expression in artistic application. Therefore new specific features must be implemented to accomplish those needs (for example "dynamic composing" ).

I have started the development of a new jm-Etude with a modified base library and need a lot of inputs for those  extra features. So any interesting suggestion are
appreciated

cheers Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1