We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
promidi question (Read 1838 times)
promidi question
Aug 26th, 2005, 4:10pm

Hi

Hope I am doing something really silly or missing the way entirely.

Am just starting with processing and trying to get pro midi library to work.

Have got other midi programs running and devices plugged in, but promidi can't find any of them.

Using the examples provided with the library promidi_information shows the heading it should print out, with no port info, and trying either of the promidi or promidi_midiout throws up

printPorts of midiIO
<< inputs: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< outputs: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

promidi.UnavailablePortException: You wanted to open the unavailable output 2. The available outputs are 0 - -1.

at promidi.MidiIO.openOutput(MidiIO.java:296)

at Temporary_5506_8085.setup(Temporary_5506_8085.java:15)

at processing.core.PApplet.display(PApplet.java:1050)

at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:362)

at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:951)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

Running on Mac x.4

Cheers

Nick
Re: promidi question
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2005, 10:56pm

Sorry but I can not give support for Mac. All I know by other users so far is that you need plumstone:

http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/~lrlang/plumstone/

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2005, 10:25am

Thanks for that.

I found the details of plumstone on the alpha boards and downloaded it.

The test app with that now detects the midi ports, but Processing is still not. Any Mac users who have any tips or ideas ?

Cheers

Nick
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2005, 9:54pm

I was mucking around with this library in OS X a few months back, and I found that the only way it would work is if you downloaded the mac-specific library. If its working the p5 promidi example will spit out some diagnostic-type info into the message window.

I actually got my hands on the source code and was hoping to tweak a couple of really tiny things, but I haven't been able to compile it (using Xcode) into something that will work (in OS X). It doesn't do the same thing as if I try to use the windows version of promidi (which gives me nothing), but it doesn't get past the first two lines in the message window.

Ideas? Will post more detail when I find time to tinker.
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2005, 2:53pm

To avoid any problems with Java MIDI on OS X you may use *OSC* for MIDI communication with Processing.
The mapping OSC <-> MIDI can easily be written in the audio programming language SuperCollider with about 30 lines of code. I can confirm that it works great. You just need some knowledge of SuperCollider which is useful anyway I think.  

-mb
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2005, 1:18am

Just wanted to note that the modular audio software 'Plogue Bidule' has built-in OSC/MIDI converters which can also be used for general MIDI communication of Processing via OSC. No additional programming needed. I've tested the latest release and it works fine.

-mb
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1