We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › streaming applet code/libs – any suggestions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
streaming applet code/libs – any suggestions? (Read 1299 times)
streaming applet code/libs – any suggestions?
May 13th, 2006, 3:27pm

apparently, one of the biggest drawbacks when using applets on websites is the long initial delay while the JVM is starting up and the applet is loading (compare this to flash where you can rather easily achieve an ‘instant on’ impression). i am currently looking for a sane solution to deploy stuff using a wrapper applet that loads very quick and consequently serves as a framework to load the rest of the app while already running and doing, erm, stuff. is there anyone who has done something in this direction and could provide some hints and pointers how to? [mind you, i am concerned about the actual application code and libraries, not about media like images etc.]

- sb

ps, if there was any proper way to do it, i think it should be incorporated into processing itself.
Re: streaming applet code/libs – any suggestions?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2006, 4:37pm

hi brsma,

marius just posted a nice project over at generator.x that seems to implement a loading-mechanism:
wefeelfine

i'm looking for a solution for that problem as well and maybe we can work on it together (codetree).

be carefull not to mix things: the JVM will take as much time to start up for a small applet as it does for a big one. this problem (JVM starting before loading classes) can not be solved within the applet-code. one test i did to tackle this, is to have javascript hide the applet until it's loaded, see here.
you might want to read these two pages to get an idea what's happening on startup and how to maybe solve the latency problem. and some systems allow for a loading-bar to be displayed until applet-start.

let me know,
best,
F

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1