We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › AIExport must die
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
AIExport must die (Read 3118 times)
AIExport must die
Apr 13th, 2006, 2:33am

the old version of the aiexport library **should not be used**. it includes the processing.core files which has led to several errant bug reports and me wasting a lot of time trying to track them down. i've edited the library howto to state explicitly that libraries should not be built with processing itself.

i've posted a repaired version of aiexport here:
http://benfry.com/temp/aiexport-060412.zip
it's packaged as a library, so use import library -> aiexport to use this fella.

i've made minor tweaks to the code only for compatability (i.e. using getResource instead of loadStrings.. hopefully this doesn't cause troubles when sketches are exported). i have not tested things heavily, but that should be for the aiexport lib maintainers/users.

whoever wants to maintain the library (mark?) please post this version on your site so i can remove the temporary file, and repair it as necessary if there are problems with it.
Re: AIExport must die
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2006, 3:00pm

I'll stick it up on the site when I get back to my machine.

I don't have time to maintain this library (PhD is due for submission), and have only been doing hacks since P93 to get folk around a few problems, so it's ancient. So, If anyone wants to continue development...?

Thanks for taking time to sort this Ben.

P.S I'll have modified by tomorrow and will post here to let you know, so you can delete the tmp file.
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2006, 3:38pm

terrific, thanks mark. if i had a little more time i'd add it to the p5 distribution so that it was in a central place, but if i were to do that, i think i'd probably use my own illustrator library (currently unpublished) instead since it has better coverage.. unfortunately i just can't support everything..

anyhoo, thanks again..
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2006, 9:55pm

Is the use the same as posted in older aiexport versions?  Obviously we aren't putting the .jar file with the sketch, but should the use follow similar renderer usage i.e. pdf or svg?

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2006, 10:55pm

i haven't modified it to work like svg and pdf, that's a lot more work. i've only fixed how it's packed up so it won't cause conflicts anymore.

just unzip that file into processing-xxxx/libraries and then use import library -> aiexport in your sketch when you want to use it. the api remains the same, just don't put aiexport.jar file into your sketch anymore.

* and remove any old copies of aiexport.jar from your sketchbook *
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2006, 10:37am

Hi Ben,

I've uploaded your AIExport fix, so you can delete it from your tmp folder:

http://www.mark-hill.co.uk/AIExport/

There are also some basic release notes on the index.html explaining the situation and linking back here!

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2006, 12:55pm

thanks, mark.
Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2006, 3:43pm

Do I have to compile this myself? It doesn't seem to work and the previous AIExport.jar was at least a 100k bigger.

-

Oh, wait, I have to put all of the class files outside of the code folder. Text is still broken.

-

I tried using the PDF thing but I have no idea how to use it. I'm trying to work with a GUI that will save a vector file on request and I'm not getting an applet window or anything when I try the following code.
Quote:
import processing.pdf.*;
void setup() {
 size(400, 400, PDF, "filename.pdf");
}
void draw() {
 line(0,0,height,width);
}
void mousePressed() {
 exit();
}
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2006, 7:17pm

st33d wrote on Apr 17th, 2006, 3:43pm:
Do I have to compile this myself It doesn't seem to work and the previous AIExport.jar was at least a 100k bigger.

-

Oh, wait, I have to put all of the class files outside of the code folder. Text is still broken.

no, take a deep breath, and actually read my post:

fry wrote on Apr 13th, 2006, 10:55pm:
just unzip that file into processing-xxxx/libraries and then use import library -> aiexport in your sketch when you want to use it. the api remains the same, just don't put aiexport.jar file into your sketch anymore.

if you read my original post, you'll also see why aiexport is 100k smaller.

and if you have questions about pdf syntax, then use the syntax board to start a new thread about it, or if it's a program you're trying to debug, use the programs board to ask a question about that.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1