We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Mac OS 10.3.9 warning
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Mac OS 10.3.9 warning (Read 4386 times)
Mac OS 10.3.9 warning
Apr 19th, 2005, 10:51pm

The updater for Mac OS 10.3.9 upgrades Safari to version 1.3, giving us Mac users the new WebKit engine used by Mac OS 10.4 "Tiger", which seems to render pages faster (glee).

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with Java which causes the browser to crash upon an applet loading. I recommend turning Java off (in Preferences -> Security, uncheck "Enable Java") until this problem is fixed.
Re: Mac OS 10.3.9 warning
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2005, 11:38pm

the fix for this is actually covered in the faq:
http://processing.org/faq/platforms.html#mac
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2005, 11:47pm

Quote:
Mac OS X 10.3.9 was released just as we were preparing beta. On many machines (including mine), the update causes Safari to crash when running Java applets. The solution is to reinstall Security Update 2005-002 (fix via MacInTouch)

Ah, cool, thanks!
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2005, 11:49pm

even after reinstalling the security patch as described in the faq?

also check to see if you have anything else (Safari plugins that use SIMBL, i.e. Saft or others) installed, because those will give you a good Safari crash too.
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2005, 11:52pm

Wrote the debug log before I got your reply. Might be worth deleting these last two messages so as not to confuse future readers.
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2005, 3:52pm

Thanks to all the posts I got our Processing applets running with Safari and Mac OS 10.3.9. My class and I are preparing for a gallery show with some processing work (will post online shortly) and are hoping to run Safari in kiosk mode via the SAFT plugin.  (http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/)

Here's the question...has anyone got safari running with SAFT + applets loading?  I get the perpetual crashing problem. Without SAFT things run dreamily. Does anyone know of a kiosk plugin to run Firefox full screen as an alternative?

Thanks for your input.
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2005, 2:00am

i use saft all the time, though i haven't yet seen an update for the latest version of safari (1.3?) that arrived along with osx 10.3.9. so i'm guessing that's your problem, i had to deactivate it in order to get safari working again.

i haven't personally had much luck with firefox full screen (that's why i had to pay for saft).. hopefully it gets fixed soon..

last i checked (before i wound up going with saft for everything) opera 6 is the only other mac browser that i know of that does full screen. i'm not sure if an opera 7 or if the new 8 beta have osx verrsions.

also, i just updated the faq for the new osx update for java that arrived today...

(update) saft 7.7.2 is on the site, which claims to work with the new safari... so i'm guessing that the new saft plus apple's sw update from today will get things going again. good luck...
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2005, 4:04am

In other news, Apple has released an upgrade to fix Java issues. Check Software Update.
Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2005, 4:54am

you mean this one
fry wrote on Apr 23rd, 2005, 2:00am:
also, i just updated the faq for the new osx update for java that arrived today...

this your way of saying that i'm rambling Wink
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1