FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Website, Reference, Example Suggestions
(Moderator: REAS)
   adding a new board on "education..."
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: adding a new board on "education..."  (Read 597 times)
arielm

adding a new board on "education..."
« on: Jul 21st, 2003, 9:42pm »

it would be really great to have a new category called "teaching" or something, maybe within the "discussion" forum!

(there are so many ideas to discuss, share and explore on this subject that it would be too bad to have them "spread" without a home)

and i think i'm not the only one interested (heidi? pitaru?...)

thanks!

ariel

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Koenie

170825270170825270koeniedesign WWW Email
Re: adding a new board on "education..."
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2003, 9:52pm »

I think that is a good idea. I often have problems making things happen just because I don't have any real programming background. Mathematical trouble and that sort of things.

Koenie

http://koeniedesign.com
arielm

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2003, 7:21pm »

the new board i was thinking about was more targeted to people with teaching in mind, like the participants of this thread:
http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_general_action_displ_ay_num_1056913369.html  

but your idea of having a kind of "tutorials" board _ i.e. targeted to people with learning in mind _ sounds like a good suggestion too!

(or maybe we're all learning and teaching at the same time so we only need one new board...)

heidi

Email
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2003, 11:28am »

def. adding my 2c worth of vote to this one.  

as proce55ing aims to be a teaching tool, a place to discuss different ways to apply it in various learning environments would be valuable not only to the teachers, but probably to the developers as well.

mKoser

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 2:18pm »

One of my future plans is to start teaching computation and reactive/interactive graphics as an introduction to Interactive Media Design... I have no experience in structuring workshops and very little skills in teaching, but nevertheless is this something I would like to start doing with Proce55ing.

A "Teaching Board" would be a great way to look for help when constructing the blueprints for a workshop and a great place to share experiences!

I am all for it

+ mikkel

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
REAS

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 3:22am »

Does anyone have any suggestions for the subcategories?

arielm

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 11:06am »

a few quickies...

- Learning Blogs: for fresh new proce55ing users that would like to share their first-time experiences (could be very helpfull for teachers to observe).

- Courses Blueprints: discussing and sharing the preparation (and conclusions) of courses and workshops.

- Theory and Practice (a.k.a Tutorials): targeted to people who are new to the proce55ing environment (and cooked by the "educators" among us).

- Code and Me (title borrowed from pitaru): for discussing the implications of programming in our lives (not sure it's the place for it here, but...)

- General: ...

arielm

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 1:49pm »

it's now more clear to me why a "Code and Me" sub-category would be relevant to an "Education" board:

it seems that a very important issue when teaching programming is how to motivate the students: and eventually, once they're motivated, they don't need teachers and courses anymore in order to fly by themselves and actually produce code...

another way to say that: it's clear for everybody that a lot of investment should placed on the preparation of the flow of a workshop but at least the same energy should be invested in attracting, convincing, motivating people to "join the club"!

pitaru

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 8:43pm »

It's a great idea - I would be very happy to participate and further the efforts in this direction!

Expanding on the 'code-and-me' thread :  

I love having 10 hours fly by like 10 minutes as I'm learning something new. It is the most efficient and effortless way to learn, and there are ways of passing this on to students.

The trick is personalizing the learning experience, turning it into a truly desired process.  

A 'code-and-me' thread can be targeted towards educators, as we hash out this subject and produce practical guidelines/tips for implementing it towards better courses.

-a

arielm

« Reply #9 on: Aug 31st, 2003, 1:57am »

found this "old" thread, definitely on topic for the forthcoming "education board":
http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_general_action_displ_ay_num_1046623707.html

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »