FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   the lowest spec. pc you can get to run p5?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: the lowest spec. pc you can get to run p5?  (Read 517 times)
mKoser

WWW Email
the lowest spec. pc you can get to run p5?
« on: May 19th, 2004, 10:57am »

hi,

a friend of mine recently asked my what the minimum requirements a pc should have to run processing.

i guess since the .exe by default tries to work with 128 mb. of ram, this is a minimum (or can i force it down to 64 mb or even lower by using a modified .bat file?)

the sketch it needs to run is VERY minimal - something like sendig out a small piece of information every minute or so, by serial.

does anyone have experience in running processing (not neceseraly the latest version) on OLD pc's?

+ mikkel

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
kevinP

Email
Re: the lowest spec. pc you can get to run p5?
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2004, 11:12am »

on May 19th, 2004, 10:57am, mKoser wrote:
i guess since the .exe by default tries to work with 128 mb. of ram, this is a minimum (or can i force it down to 64 mb or even lower by using a modified .bat file)
[...]

does anyone have experience in running processing (not necesseraly the latest version) on OLD pc's

Do you mean old PCs (i.e. with slow processors) or PCs with little RAM For memory efficiency you might want to consider a linux-based system

-K

Kevin Pfeiffer
mKoser

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2004, 11:19am »

i mean both ... old pc, something like pentium 100 mhz (or is that expecting too much?) with small amounts of ram aswell (48 mb?) running win98.

yes, linux would make sense - the problem is, that it is for an exhibition, and doesn't have much time to start playing around with a new operating system... it's a matter of finding an old machine, install processing on it, and put it in the room of the exhibition. (not spending too much time hazzling with it!)

+ m

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
JohnG

« Reply #3 on: May 19th, 2004, 11:22am »

I've managed to run Processing on my P233 MMX laptop with just 64MB of ram.
It takes a while to start, but it does work, and can run the example sketches ok.

fry

« Reply #4 on: May 19th, 2004, 2:54pm »

assuming you don't need any > 1.1 features of java, you should export the thing and run it using ms java, which is far more memory efficient than the sun stuff. with that you can probably go 64 MB or i'd recommend at least 128..  

and if you need serial etc use the bagel classes in pde.jar instead of those in the 'export' folder.

and yes, the 128mb set in run.bat is just set high to be usable. you can remove the -ms/mx stuff altogether and i think you'll be back to ~64 mb.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »