FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   code != art
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
   Author  Topic: code != art  (Read 3020 times)
pollux

WWW Email
Re: code != art
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 4:03am »

i am in no way possible sure of what i'm about to say, so i'll just shoot it:

there's something about an artist that seems to be consistent to me. call it a search, a research, a method, a question, a color, a pain.

i prefer to see art through artists, for i have the vague idea that an artist defining itself can be a more consistent issue that us defining art.  

maybe we should talk a little about artists, don't you think?

be it klee drawing little esoteric, line worlds, or wodiczko wit some chip-controlled mouth staff, there's something about them that "makes" art.

if i wanted to do art, i tried to become an artist first. and then, as i already said somewhere else, i'll start copying them (it worked for van gogh...)

pollux | www.frwrd.net
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 8:10am »

so is it possible for someone who does not work in the "art" industry to be an artist?

x596673

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:25am »

>>so is it possible for someone who does not work in the "art" industry to be an artist?  

Being an artist has nothing to do with the industry you work in.  

Being an artist is like being an athlete, you can be an athlete and sell shoes for a living. The same is true for an artist.

Artists look at the world and reflect it back to the world. That's all. When I take a picture of a sunset
people say it's beautiful and they see it as art. I take a moment and reflect it back to people. I give them the right to see the beauty I see around me  every day. If you'd see me in the street you wouldn't know I'm an artist, but seeing my works would make you say I'm an artist. And I worked in many other industries to pay the rent.

As for code = art. If you can touch others in an emotional way with your expression using code then that is art.

The same questions where asked about photography and to some degree are still being argued today. A snap shot can be just a snap shot or if an artistic effort is made a work of art. The same goes for code.

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:55am »

seems to me you can be an artist in any profession, doing anything, and in very nearly any possible form.

so the next question: what reasons would someone be able to use, in order to specify whether something is art or not.

x596673

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:46pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:55am, benelek wrote:
seems to me you can be an artist in any profession, doing anything, and in very nearly any possible form.

so the next question: what reasons would someone be able to use, in order to specify whether something is art or not.

There is no consensus of what constitutes art. 'one mans art is another mans trash.' You have to decide for yourself if it's art to you. For me art lies in the intent of the creator and how it touches me emotionaly. That's how I decide if it's art.

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 5:09pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:46pm, x596673 wrote:

You have to decide for yourself if it's art to you. For me art lies in the intent of the creator and how it touches me emotionaly. That's how I decide if it's art.

i agree. but a lot of people seem to restrict what they mean by the word "emotionally". another word

i'd consider art anything that interest me enough to want to spend time thinking about it, in any or many different ways.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 6:35pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2003, 8:10am, benelek wrote:
so is it possible for someone who does not work in the "art" industry to be an artist

"art" industry (an oxymoron)
that phrase scares the heck out of me...

i also have some questions.  
does an artist neccesarily do art
is an artwork's indistinguishable copy art as well
(ergo)
is art an intrinsic property of artwork, or it depends on the artist as well
if we consider photography as an art form, are all the copies of a photo artworks
or just the negative
does the camera model makes a difference
if we consider music an art form, is electronic music not art
(ergo)
if we consider chopin's work as art, is a piece by chopin, played by a pianola, still a work of art

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle it without debating it.
--Joseph Joubert

pollux | www.frwrd.net
pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 7:01pm »

and then, some answers (not mine, i wouldn't dare)

Art is lies that tell the truth.  
- Picasso

An intellectual is a man who says a simple thing in a difficult way; an artist is a man who says a difficult thing in a simple way.  
- Charles Bukowski, "Notes of a Dirty Old Man"

Were I called on to define, very briefly, the term Art, I should call it 'the  
reproduction of what the Senses perceive in Nature through the veil of the  
soul.' The mere imitation, however accurate, of what is in Nature, entitles no  
man to the sacred name of 'Artist.'  
- Edgar Allan Poe

Art is made to disturb. Science reassures. There is only one valuable thing in  
art: the thing you cannot explain.  
- Georges Braque

In our time there are many artists who do something because it is new; they see their value and their justification in this newness. They are deceiving  
themselves; novelty is seldom the essential. This has to do with one thing only; making a subject better from its intrinsic nature.  
- Henri de Toulouse Lautrec

Vita brevis, ars longa,  
- Hippocrates

Art is coming face to face with yourself. That's what's wrong with Benton. He  
came face to face with Michelangelo-- and he lost  
- Jackson Pollock

If you really want to upset your parents, and you are not brave enough to be gay, go into the arts!  
- Kurt Vonnegut

Art is the Queen of all sciences communicating knowledge to all the generations of the world.  
- Leonardo da Vinci

I am interested in ideas, not merely in visual products.  
- Marcel Duchamp

Art does not reproduce the visible; rather, it makes visible.  
- Paul Klee

White does not exist in nature.  
- Renoir  

Artists, by definition innocent, don't steal. But they do borrow without giving  
back.  
- Ned Rorem

and my favourite (from the man that destroyed art as we thought of it before)

Art is like a shipwreck .. it's every man for himself.  
- Marcel Duchamp

http://quotes.prolix.nu/Art/
(for the craves)
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2003, 9:50pm by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
polyscope

« Reply #23 on: Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:00pm »

For the hell of it -
"Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else." - Knuth

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: Apr 24th, 2003, 7:36am »

lol, i feel like writing an essay on the topic. but it aint gonna happen on this post!

hehe, well neway - with regards to the whole question of our proximity to the original artwork...

doesn't the art lie in our minds, indistinguishable from its beauty, once we perceive it through a piece of decoration? many people think the decoration itself is the art, and many supposed artists just decorate!

-jacob

Oculus

4428330644283306ch300h Email
« Reply #25 on: May 8th, 2003, 9:55pm »

Mmmm what is art
What is music
They both move me in a way beyond the medium

Is code art? well it can be, is an equation for curved space beautiful?I think it is

Art is the expression of inspiration.  Most code is pretty uninsiring, some is elegant.  Code was more artfull back in the days where we had to have real compact algorythms.  Remembering programming in 1K of memory?

Does code move me beyond the medium - sometimes

Richard

Glen Murphy

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 9th, 2003, 2:35am »

This is good: http://www.paulgraham.com/hp.html

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 12th, 2003, 11:31am »

not talking about the compiled look-and-feel of the code, does anyone have some code that they especially like?

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 12th, 2003, 1:08pm »

would you be referring to obfuscated code?

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 12th, 2003, 1:47pm »

that sounds like a good place to start. i yahoogled the following

http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=obfuscated

Pages: 1 2 3 4 

« Previous topic | Next topic »