FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   more fluid...
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: more fluid...  (Read 441 times)
mr.prufrock

WWW Email
more fluid...
« on: Jul 8th, 2003, 11:50pm »

I played with Glen Murphy and Ben's "fluid" simulations (again and again!) and found them very interesting indeed!  

however, alas, being a rather dull person, I'm having difficulties to comprehend the genius equations of Navier-Stokes, Lattice-Boltzmann, Rayleigh-Taylor, and the lot...

I wonder if anyone can help me understand a bit of the basic principles about simulating fluid in software, hopefully in the language of Britney-Spears, Bart-Simpson, or Oscar-Wilde

Cheers!

(I heard the first person to solve Navier-Stokes equations will get $1000000 from clay institute!)

I grow old...I grow old
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Glen Murphy

WWW Email
Re: more fluid...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 9th, 2003, 2:23pm »

I'd tell you if I knew, but I didn't use any of those things in the fluid things I did (which is why they're not the most accurate things on earth). I tried to read up on them, but it ended up getting far too complex, so I did what .. 'felt' right.

(What 'felt' right was tempered by the reading I'd done on grids and stuff, but the core mathematics was all made up).

mr.prufrock

WWW Email
Re: more fluid...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 7:10pm »

Thanks for your feedbacks, Glen. I guess you're right -- I'll try playing around with it a bit, especially about the "grid" concept...

Btw, I just re-discovered an area of "fluid" dynamics known as Heineken-Budweiser instability! ahh... it gives you a bad headache in the next morning
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2003, 7:12pm by mr.prufrock »  

I grow old...I grow old
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »