FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   key q == key F2
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: key q == key F2  (Read 2256 times)
bryandamage

key q == key F2
« on: Mar 19th, 2005, 5:31am »

i'm trying to create a virtual control surface to use the video mixing program "veejay" over OSC using oscP5. so far everything is fine and i can communicate with veejay by assigning an osc message to a key like this:

void keyPressed(){
 String ap;
 Object[] tObj;
 ap = "/clip/select";
 tObj = new Object[] {new Integer(key)};
 oscP5.sendMsg(ap,tObj);  
}

veejay will receive this message and play the clip number of any key i press. the problem i'm having is when i try to assign different messages to different keys. I want the function keys to select a clip so i put this before "oscP5.sendMsg(ap,tObj)":

if ((key <= 112) && (key >= 123)){
 tObj = new Object[] {new Integer(key-111)};
}

this gets the F1-F12 keys to select clips 1-12 and works fine. i then want to assign the keys along the top letter row (q-i) to another function. if i push these keys now veejay will select a clip. key q selects clip 113 and key Q selects clip 81 so i put this before "oscP5.sendMsg(ap,tObj)":

if ((key == 'q') || (key == 'Q')) {
 ap = "/video/play"
 tObj = new Object[] {}; // /video/play has no arguments
}

this works great now and i can play the video by pressing the q key and if capslock is on it still works, but now the F2 key plays the video as the key value of F2 is 113.

i can't find much documentation on the usage of the key variable so i'm i doing this wrong or is this a bug in the values of key?

Edited to add:
i've since found the error. sorry about this as it was on my part. although the reference material should include some info about this...
using this code the problem is resolved:

public void keyReleased(KeyEvent e){ // Needs to use the java function
 int myKey = e.getKeyCode(); // getKeyCode is unavailable in processing and provides consistent results
 String ap = "/default/message";
 Object[] tObj = new Object[] {};
 ap = "/clip/select";
 tObj = new Object[] {new Integer(myKey)};
 if ((myKey <= 112) && (myKey >= 123)){
  tObj = new Object[] {new Integer(myKey-111)};
 }
 if ((myKey == 81)) {
  ap = "/video/play"
 tObj = new Object[] {}; // /video/play has no arguments
 }
 oscP5.sendMsg(ap,tObj);  
}
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2005, 8:57am by bryandamage »  
fry

Re: key q == key F2
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 9:54pm »

yeah, the key stuff has been ironed out for 70+. the problem is that 'key' and coded keys need to be separated, so that's been done. in 68/69 you can (as you found) use the KeyEvent that's passed in to and getKeyCode() and getKeyChar() to make it work.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »