FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   Problem spawning external VM
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Problem spawning external VM  (Read 2248 times)
simong

Email
Problem spawning external VM
« on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 2:52pm »

This is a tricky one. Version: Processing 67 and earlier.

On some machines (all of them in the computer lab at Yale Architecture) in cases where Processing wants to spawn an external VM to run the applet, the spawned VM hangs and needs to be forcibly quit. It seems to get an unpredictable but very small amount through the code before this happens. The applets export to the web just fine, though. Here is sample code:

Code:
public class ExternalTester extends BApplet {
  void setup() {
  }
  void loop() {
    background(#234521);
    rect(20, 20, 30, 30);

}
}

My guess is that it's a security or virus scan issue spawning a new process. The OS here is WinXP, the virus software is Symantec AntiVirus, Corporate edition, version 8.1.0.

This is an issue because I'm trying to give my students jars of code to work with.

Thanks,
-Simon

simong

Email
Re: Problem spawning external VM
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 3:12pm »

Actually it looks like it's not a spawning or virus problem. The applet stops hanging if you kill the PDE. So maybe somebody's blocking on communication?

fry

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 6:12pm »

are you using the expert release or the standard one?

i can't get this to replicate, but would definitely like to get it tracked down.  

also, is there any change if you put p5 in, say, the root of the c drive (perhaps it's a spaces-in-filenames problem?)

trip

triparepa WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 1:12am »

Hmmm... I was getting the hangs as well, 0067 winXP, and after reading the post about the antivirus I decided to disable mine... and voila! unsafe computer = happy Processing!! I am using McAffee ViruScan 4.5, if that helps any...

anyway, I am happier now, but I would still like to run my AV softie

thanks

c

fry

« Reply #4 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 10:11pm »

on Nov 4th, 2003, 1:12am, trip wrote:
Hmmm... I was getting the hangs as well, 0067 winXP, and after reading the post about the antivirus I decided to disable mine... and voila! unsafe computer = happy Processing!! I am using McAffee ViruScan 4.5, if that helps any...

anyway, I am happier now, but I would still like to run my AV softie

thanks

c

interesting.. actually i test the windows builds with mcafee viruscan 7, and that hasn't given me the hanging problem.  

so i wonder if the simon was right about norton causing the trouble. argh.

simong

Email
« Reply #5 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 1:13pm »

Hi Ben,
  We're using Expert. I will go hunting very soon and have some better details to report. I'll check the spaces in filenames, but I don't think so. We've got it in the root of a drive mapped to E:. I don't know what Java likes to do about mapped drives, but I would think it would call it E:.

I don't know if this is related or not, so I won't start a new bug thread unless you think I should, but we can also get a deadly hang with a network client when the server it's watching stops first or if it tries to connect to a nonexistent server.
-S
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2003, 1:17pm by simong »  
fry

« Reply #6 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 4:27pm »

- the mapped drive could certainly be a problem, maybe the virus software doesn't like that so much?

- another thing i noticed on a machine running a virus app was that external launching (i.e. loading a web page, and prolly running an external vm) took a silly amount of time (more than a minute) to happen. could this be the case?  

- it's possible that virus scan is trying to check all the jar files (aaagh! ~20 megs maybe?) of the java vm. not unlikely at all. actually, this could definitely be it.

- the other is that with expert, you have to make sure that the java vm is one that's expected (another 1.4 release, hopefully). try opening up a command prompt and do java -version to make sure the vm that you expect is the default one.  

[i'm kinda hating expert because of the amount of support problems/non-bugs it creates.. i'm so tempted to kill it..]

- the net problems are just net problems, i'm guessing. you can post in a separate thread, i basically need to go through the net code and do some rewriting. it hasn't received love in a good while. there are a couple of other net bugs that are floating around here on the board.

trip

triparepa WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Nov 7th, 2003, 1:33am »

I was doing some testing with my antivirus software and p5 67... my AV will report what file was scanned last, and when I run one of the problem sketches in p5 the AV doesn't go into the .jar's as you predicted Fry... it just stops at java.exe. Then I disabled (but not unloaded) the AV... still no action on p5.

only after killing the AV process on the task manager does p5 run as intended

hope this helps in any way

c

Steve

nerdytone WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 6:50am »

edit: AHA! dont ask me why but for some reason while im using Trillian Pro(combines AIM Yahoo MSN ICQ and IRC) java does NOT work correctly, as soon as i close it however, it works. any idea why?

-steve
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2004, 7:22am by Steve »  
fry

« Reply #9 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 5:57pm »

on Nov 7th, 2003, 1:33am, trip wrote:
I was doing some testing with my antivirus software and p5 67... my AV will report what file was scanned last, and when I run one of the problem sketches in p5 the AV doesn't go into the .jar's as you predicted Fry... it just stops at java.exe. Then I disabled (but not unloaded) the AV... still no action on p5.

only after killing the AV process on the task manager does p5 run as intended

hope this helps in any way

c
yeah, this is what i was afraid of. i'll have to figure out why launching things with Runtime.exec (the way we start java) trips off the virus scanning software, and what other IDEs do to avoid the same situation.  

anyone who wants to go digging through one of the java-based open source IDEs would be a big help on this one

i'm inclined to think it might be something to do with using 'start' or 'cmd' to launch the thing (instead of launching directly) and then using a socket to communicate between the IDE and the applet.

fry

« Reply #10 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 5:57pm »

ps, this is also moving up the priority list, because more code will be run in the external vm in future releases, and our target audience (schools especially) will be using plenty of virus scanning software.

fry

« Reply #11 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 7:20pm »

now fixed in megabucket.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »